Winnipeg and Artic Buses

WpgBusDriver

46 minutes ago, Wpgtransit11-25 said:

Just saw 976 on a red river ex express bus cruising down portage few mins ago 

That's nice. Meanwhile, I rode a 200 series Red River Ex shuttle EB Portage Ave. this afternoon. The 200s have no Air. Cond. Thanks WT for making passengers suffer during a very long journey to the Ex site. ?

11 minutes ago, LilZebra said:

That's nice. Meanwhile, I rode a 200 series Red River Ex shuttle EB Portage Ave. this afternoon. The 200s have no Air. Cond. Thanks WT for making passengers suffer during a very long journey to the Ex site. ?

The late night 20(20-5) has 203 so not just red river buses 

22 hours ago, Viafreak said:

I think Transit should use artics on Folk Fest service as well. The only problem might be the hills on the way back.

Calgary has hills - artics survive here pretty well, i can't see WT artics havi g a problem with Birds Hill, as long as they aren't travelling on the hills themselves like the Dukes of Hazzard.

I agree though, WT could use artic service on Folkfest.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, armorand said:

Calgary has hills - artics survive here pretty well, i can't see WT artics havi g a problem with Birds Hill, as long as they aren't travelling on the hills themselves like the Dukes of Hazzard.

I agree though, WT could use artic service on Folkfest.

It would be fine as long as it's not a D60LF. The S50 was not meant for artics (not that the ISL/L9 was)

Last I knew operation outside the city on provincial highways requires PSV licence plates. Last I knew Winnipeg Transit licenced only about 10 buses with PSV plates (and none of the artics).

With the PSV plates comes a highway safety kit including flares and (I think) a fire extinguisher.

4 hours ago, GrandeWest_B35G said:

Wait, that isn't a standard thing?

Dont forget though - Winnipeg has virtually no freeways or transit service on freeways (or in alot of rural areas) to begin with ? i could see a kit being useful on buses regularly using Stoney or Deerfoot, but Winnipeg-wise, theres virtually no rural service or freeway service, so WT probably cut back at some point.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2019 at 8:44 PM, trebor204 said:

371 was on the Ex tonight, however the Ex buses don't show up on BusText or any of the displays at the bus stops. If the Ex buses run every 45 minutes during the day, you have no idea if you have to wait 5 minutes or 45 minutes.

In the "old" days, when people used to read an actual newspaper, the Ex would have in their ad or WT would have it, the running frequency of the Ex shuttle. But now that people are on these "smartphones" they need to come up with another way I guess.

I stopped going to the Ex when they moved to their current location. Didn't at the time wanna ride on a sticky hot bus all the way past the Perim. Hwy. from downtown.

6 minutes ago, Wpgtransit11-25 said:

Cool more interesting would be 372 or something 

It's been about two months since 371 was delivered and no sign of 372 yet. I wonder if New Flyer is holding off on further deliveries until Winnipeg Transit signals they're happy with 371...

11 minutes ago, DavidW said:

It's been about two months since 371 was delivered and no sign of 372 yet. I wonder if New Flyer is holding off on further deliveries until Winnipeg Transit signals they're happy with 371...

372 is in. I saw it at frg and before that it was outside the hotel off the trans Canada 

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, LilZebra said:

How long, typically, does it take to construct a NEW diesel bus, 40 or 60 ft.? These 60 footers are sure takin' a long time to be built Pa.

IIRC ~3-5 days to build from a stack of parts to complete drive-able unit. The additional time comes from lack of production slots, quality control inspections and sign-offs, spec changes, repairing anything that didn't pass inspection, etc. Plus in this case if they are shipping shells down to Crookston, (or getting the buses built in Alabama?) that adds time. A lack of worker motivation to apply such a bland boring looking livery may be a factor too ?

7 hours ago, MVTArider said:

IIRC ~3-5 days to build from a stack of parts to complete drive-able unit. The additional time comes from lack of production slots, quality control inspections and sign-offs, spec changes, repairing anything that didn't pass inspection, etc. Plus in this case if they are shipping shells down to Crookston, (or getting the buses built in Alabama?) that adds time. A lack of worker motivation to apply such a bland boring looking livery may be a factor too ?

Maybe if the buses were Orange and Cream again, they'd actually come out of production and be shipped to Winnipeg by now... ?

• Like 1