Jump to content
A. Wong

Pierce Transit

Recommended Posts

There's still ONE former Sound Transit '99 Phantom left in its blank "Prison Bus" plain white livery, here's 8066 running an afternoon Southbound 402 last week, hadn't seen this one active on OneBusAway for a while so it's my guess they JUST brought this Phantom back into service thanks to the expansion.

8066.JPG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, pnwelevator said:

There's still ONE former Sound Transit '99 Phantom left in its blank "Prison Bus" plain white livery, here's 8066 running an afternoon Southbound 402 last week, hadn't seen this one active on OneBusAway for a while so it's my guess they JUST brought this Phantom back into service thanks to the expansion.

8066.JPG

I got to ride it a couple of weeks ago on the 580. It sounds different (quieter), like it lost the ISM and has been repowered with a Cummins ISC but I don't know for sure.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, busdude.com said:

I got to ride it a couple of weeks ago on the 580. It sounds different (quieter), like it lost the ISM and has been repowered with a Cummins ISC but I don't know for sure.

I noticed that too, it still has its ISM but it just didn't sound as brawny as a typical Cummins M-Series does. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to One Bus Away

271, 273-275, 277 All entered service today, and 276 was spotted in service yesterday for the Freedom Fair, as well as being in service today.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've seen 10124 as well. Can't find any documentation on orders. 

Edit: 10127, 10128, and 10130 now on the tracker as well. 

Edited by kona404
New IDs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another big batch of PT coaches is up for auction now. Looks like they've retired all of the Chance replica trolleys.

Most if not all of the ex-ST Phantoms and many of the 2004 C40LFs seem to be gone as well now -- many of them have shown up on auctions lately and I haven't seen much of them on the tracker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This agency has a large number of 30" buses. What is the maximum capacity (full seated + standee) for a C30LF?

(I mean I could ask the same for BC Transit's Yaxing 30" buses but here is fine too)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the last several weeks, I've been seeing on OBW PT C40LFs, C40LFRs, and even their new Gillig CNGs and old Phantoms (in PT paint scheme) running ST 596 Express from Sumner Sounder Station to Bonney Lake P&R. Another shortage of ST buses?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/16/2019 at 7:14 AM, KevinMenoLBT9716 said:

For the last several weeks, I've been seeing on OBW PT C40LFs, C40LFRs, and even their new Gillig CNGs and old Phantoms (in PT paint scheme) running ST 596 Express from Sumner Sounder Station to Bonney Lake P&R. Another shortage of ST buses?

My records show that nearly 50% of trips over the last two weeks have been PT-branded buses. They took over 540 and 541 with the last service change; it seems to be proving difficult for them to manage. As far as I know, they only gained three coaches from this arrangement (9549, 9551, 9552), which could help explain that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Border City Transit said:

Whoa -- what's the story with the 540?

Wasn't it only March that it jumped from KC Metro to First Transit (by way of Community Transit)?

Yup. I don't know many details here, just that that was always the plan. KCM needed to get rid of it, but PT couldn't take it right away, so CT—even though it's way outside their area—stepped in to help until PT could take it.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/18/2019 at 4:55 PM, kona404 said:

Yup. I don't know many details here, just that that was always the plan. KCM needed to get rid of it, but PT couldn't take it right away, so CT—even though it's way outside their area—stepped in to help until PT could take it.

Picking up again on Sound Transit Route 540 -- and Pierce Transit's involvement with ST routes in general.

What is PT's secret for operating far-from-home routes efficiently? That's gotta be a 50 mile deadhead from PT's base to Kirkland -- and the bus doesn't even stay in service all day!

Does PT have some elaborate satellite/out-lot operation to cut deadheads? And/or some kind of agreement with their union to ease high costs that usually come with such vast non-revenue distances?

Don't get me wrong: I'm all for Pierce Transit taking a role in Sound Transit operations. It just seems like shifting the 540 from First Transit in South Everett to Pierce Transit in f&$%ing Lakewood would, like, triple the operating costs...

Any insight?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Border City Transit said:

Does PT have some elaborate satellite/out-lot operation to cut deadheads? And/or some kind of agreement with their union to ease high costs that usually come with such vast non-revenue distances?

It started out as them using a half dozen spaces at the OMF shortly after it was constructed.  If you look at aerial imagery of the OMF a few years ago you can see the MCIs parked in the southwest corner of the lot.  Then they paved over the empty lot that ST owns across the street (at Stevens) that was used for construction staging for the Beacon Hill tunnel.  Now they park the buses there and I believe a supervisor drives them back to Lakewood.  ST owns the lot, and I believe the PT-operated routes are the only ones that use it.  CT has had some layover space in SODO for quite some time, but they keep bouncing it around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks!

53 minutes ago, Atomic Taco said:

Now they park the buses there and I believe a supervisor drives them back to Lakewood.

Wow. Quite the set-up. So this likely affects all PT-operated Sound Transit routes that end up in Seattle. I wonder how it affects pay for the operators...

I kind of expected mid-day storage... in the same way that peak-hour Metro buses from North Base may spend the mid-day at Central.

I was also wondering if any PT buses "reside" away from Lakewood specifically for the 540 -- and operators report remotely. Or maybe they just bite and swallow the 60+ minute deadhead. Long deadheads aren't that uncommon -- it's just striking since it's so much longer than the previous arrangement. The pull-out from FT/CT Kasch Park Base was probably half that or less. Rewind even further to when Metro was operating it -- when the pull-out from East Campus couldn't have been more than 15 minutes.

 

53 minutes ago, Atomic Taco said:

CT has had some layover space in SODO for quite some time, but they keep bouncing it around.

Definitely.

I think the SoDo mid-day lot is strictly the domain of First Transit. As in, they find it and pay for it and CT doesn't really get involved.

To my knowledge, all Seattle-bound buses directly operated by Community Transit deadhead back to Merrill Creek after the AM rush -- and return to Seattle to begin the PM rush. Rack up those miles - yee haw!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...