CATA (Lansing, MI)

ieko

• 2 years later...

Heyyy I found a pic of bus 599, apparently a 2013 XDE40 which is not on the wiki. Does anyone have an updated roster at all so we can add the wiki roster?

Picture >
https://www.flickr.com/photos/98081722@N07/11678128496/in/pool-newflyerbuses/

EDIT

Also found this on wikipedia. I dont know what years are what buses though as its just a range of years for the whole lot.

588–604

New Flyer XDE40

2011-2013

40'

102"

17 buses

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I lived in East Lansing for four years but only took very few pictures for CATA (most were taken in 2013).

Compared with where I lived right now, Lansing does great job in public transportation. I think it is partially because of the demand from MSU campus. CATA's on-campus transit service is very efficient and convenient. 

Route 35 at Red Cedar Rd (if I am right about my memory). Route 35 (CATA bus Station -- Spartan Village) is kinda weekend service of Route 30 (but not exactly the same route) with frequency of 30 min.

12803832744_8bbb819709_b.jpg

Cata bus station (MSU campus)

15297402290_01c4eed0a0_k.jpg

Route 30 at CATA bus station. Route 26/30/31/32/33/39 are high-frequency routes (3-5 min) during the school day. 

10486138506_0d8091d751_b.jpg

Route 26 at CATA bus station. 

10486139416_64e7e9b76f_b.jpg

Route 30 at MSU East Neighborhood. At least in 2013-2014, Route 30 and Route 31 shares the fleets. Route 30 switched to Route 31 as it the bus arrives at the stop, vice versus. It was a little bit confusing for some people.  

9735372851_84ea25755b_k.jpg

Pics are referenced from my Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/zhenghan1994

• Like 4

Thank you for sharing!

CATA is a really good system... the best in Michigan, in many ways.

MSU campus service definitely figures into their strength. What's always impressed me, though, is their regular/off-campus service. Not many mid-sized US cities have 8-10 minute service on a long, non-shuttle route (Route 1).

I also appreciate their clean, ad-free New Flyer buses and their professional employees.

The overhead picture of 554 / 6009 / 571... is that your pic? I've seen that picture before (a less cropped version of it). It's hands-down one of the BEST transit pics I have ever seen. Deserves to be on a calendar or a mural or something.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Border City Transit said:

Thank you for sharing!

CATA is a really good system... the best in Michigan, in many ways.

MSU campus service definitely figures into their strength. What's always impressed me, though, is their regular/off-campus service. Not many mid-sized US cities have 8-10 minute service on a long, non-shuttle route (Route 1).

I also appreciate their clean, ad-free New Flyer buses and their professional employees.

The overhead picture of 554 / 6009 / 571... is that your pic? I've seen that picture before (a less cropped version of it). It's hands-down one of the BEST transit pics I have ever seen. Deserves to be on a calendar or a mural or something.

All pictures I posted are my works, but I don't think that overhead pic is the same one as you what you saw in other place because I don't think I posted it anywhere else except my Flickr. Maybe someone else took it at the same spot. Mine should be clearer if I used tripod. It is really hard for the camera to stand on the wall of the parking garage... but thank you anyway :)

And yeah, Route 1 service is great. As I remember in 2015 ish, CATA started forecasting their plan regarding upgrading Route 1 to be BRT since the project just passed the environmental assessment.  I actually talked to a transportation faculty in MSU about it and he was positive about the progress CATA had made for this project and believed construction could be started in mid 2016. I just visited that website again which told me the sad story that that the plan was currently suspended because no federal funding could be allocated to this project (What a pity but not surprising) 

I've worked on some transit stuff in Atlanta recently. Yeah, funding is always the biggest problem for the transit system in this country. We always ask why funds transit despite the different versions of good answer from the rest of world.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 8 months later...
1 hour ago, Andru said:

Yesssss!

That is the best news I've heard in a while!

CATA is a New Flyer stronghold. I've always liked their New Flyer fleet -- I had the pleasure of driving D60LF #6003 on a demo run -- but this will bring some intriguing change.

I was nervous that CATA -- as a mid-sized system -- would fall to Gillig. After all, except DDOT/Detroit Transit, every other system in Michigan is Gillig, Gillig, Gillig, Gillig, Gillig and more Gillig (plenty of other states where that's true, too...) The only other New Flyer system -- Flint MTA -- has settled for Gillig on recent orders. Gross.

Beyond the fleet, CATA is far-above-average for a mid-sized system. Good coverage, big city frequency, professional employees and clean vehicles. The addition of Nova products will guarantee a first-rate transit experience for the next generation. I will watch this development closely and make a special trip to Lansing just to ride.

Thanks for sharing! If you can dig up info on specs (new paint scheme, back window, etc) that would certainly be welcomed...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Greetings from Lansing, i have a photo of a new, "old" bus to CATA, a before and after if you would like to call it, here is EX 2524, now CATA 627.
BTW, i'm Matt Howell, from Facebook.

Update:
i have some additional information, it turns out we have 8 of COTA buses, a total of 7 drivable, while the 8th one was used for parts for the other 7.

43408768_1917337761691921_5938995345714315264_n.jpg

img.jpg

• Like 4

On 8/30/2016 at 2:48 PM, 160 Downriver said:

According to Matt Howell on Facebook one (maybe two?) XDE60 demo visited CATA a while ago and that CATA may consider buying a few of those. Is this officially confirmed yet?

it turns out we won't be, CATA is going to be getting rid of hybrids and only using d40's from new flyer and lfs from nova, no more hybrids, cata can't keep affording them

• Thanks 1

• 9 months later...
1 hour ago, RailBus63 said:

Spotted CATA 40-foot LFS #703 passing through Syracuse NY yesterday.

Nice.

CATA has posted some photo/video footage of the Novas (40-footers and artics) on their FB page.

I am really glad to see Novas in the Great Lakes State.

It's hard to warm up to 'em in absence of a paint scheme. Is CATA transitioning to a new scheme or something?

The classic blue-and-green looks fine, but it probably is due for retirement. Any hints about how these new buses will eventually look? I hope the plan isn't to leave them blank permanently...

On 8/15/2019 at 1:59 PM, Border City Transit said:

Nice.

CATA has posted some photo/video footage of the Novas (40-footers and artics) on their FB page.

I am really glad to see Novas in the Great Lakes State.

It's hard to warm up to 'em in absence of a paint scheme. Is CATA transitioning to a new scheme or something?

The classic blue-and-green looks fine, but it probably is due for retirement. Any hints about how these new buses will eventually look? I hope the plan isn't to leave them blank permanently...

i'm afraid just big blue CATA letters for now, which i hate, if the ceo had to get rid of anything, i would have just kept the CAT logo, and got rid of the stripes, cata isn't cata without the big logo.

EDIT:

i found out the blue CATA logo is not permanent, just a placeholder.

Edited by simonsevillematt
i had an update

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/3/2019 at 3:34 PM, MVTArider said:

Thanks for sharing some photos. Looks like they have the same livery as Winnipeg Transit now ? Yeesh that's a dull institutional look.

i would be more happier if i could update the wiki page for CATA, i have friends who work at the garage who give me info about everything.

• 2 weeks later...