dj.surf.lfs

Bradford West Gwillimbury Transit

What do you mean, "help your case"?? I wasn't trying to make a case for anything!

(And they wren't random counties - they were all the municipalities in Canada without transit systems and populations greater Bradford-West Gwillimbury)

I believe Articulated's point is that population in only a starting point to determine whether any transit service can be viable, even at a cost to revenue recovery ratio of as low as 20%. Factors such as population concentration, population demographics, and transit demand generators are also important. The point he makes is that the immediate Bradford area would appear to meet at least the first of these criteria.

And there is no local transit service in the Halton Region of Ontario, north of the 401. While Georgetown would appear to be next up, I am not aware of any specific plans there, and would be interested if anyone on this board is aware of any.

It's hard to predict where new small community transit service might be vaible - in (my home province of) Manitoba, transit has not been successful in Steinbach and has not yet gotten off the ground in Morden-Winkler, both of which have populations exceeding 15,000.

Bradford West Gwillimbury has selected bidder "Creative Carriage Ltd." to supply two buses. The vehicles will be Spirit of Freedom models produced by Arboc.

Bradford Times newspaper link:

Public Transit will roll in 2014

By Miriam King, QMI Agency

Friday, September 20, 2013 7:27:44 EDT AM

The article mentions a third bus to be bought later.

There's an article on the Bradford Times dated 1.23.2014, for those of you asking who the contractor is gonna be. I cannot paste though as this reply system is a pain in the arse to link articles for me.

Switzer-Carty Transportation, a new Simcoe County school bus contractor who took over the Parkview yard in Bradford is to be the new operator for transit in Bradford. As for Town Taxi, I've been actively following the press up here and I haven't heard anything yet about them. Hopefully a week before service starts I plan to head down there from Barrie and get an idea of what Town plans to use and what the Arbocs look like before they enter service. I also plan to be riding the system down there on opening day with some friends and I'll post updates for the board.

Anyone care to link the article to here for me, please do. I'd appreciate it, thanks. :)

Here is a link to the BWG Transit website. There is an image of one of the fully painted ARBOCs, numbered 14-4.

According to a rep @ OTE, they have purchased 3 ARBOCs for this service, 2 were delivered this month and the third was on display at OTE.

BWG.JPG

The VIN for the unit on display is 1GB6G5B:201187479.

As already mentioned, startup is scheduled for May 1st, 2014 and service initially will run Weekdays from 9am-5pm. The contractor is Switzer-Carty. Fares will be $3 cash, or with the purchase of a $2 easyPASS, the fare will be $2, and transfers will be issued with a 90 minute time limit. Though service will be free for the month of May.

BWG.JPG

post-2271-0-19550200-1397782941_thumb.jp

post-2271-0-19550200-1397782941_thumb.jpg

Here is a link to the BWG Transit website. There is an image of one of the fully painted ARBOCs, numbered 14-4.

According to a rep @ OTE, they have purchased 3 ARBOCs for this service, 2 were delivered this month and the third was on display at OTE.

BWG.JPG

The VIN for the unit on display is 1GB6G5B:201187479.

As already mentioned, startup is scheduled for May 1st, 2014 and service initially will run Weekdays from 9am-5pm. The contractor is Switzer-Carty. Fares will be $3 cash, or with the purchase of a $2 easyPASS, the fare will be $2, and transfers will be issued with a 90 minute time limit. Though service will be free for the month of May.

3 buses for 3 routes? Someone had told me that the one at OTE is 14-3. I am guessing the spare will be a Switzer accessible bus.

3 buses for 3 routes? Someone had told me that the one at OTE is 14-3. I am guessing the spare will be a Switzer accessible bus.

2 routes, according to the schedules, the bus on route 2 alternates between the A and B branches.

Well, if you guys make it, I'll really appreciate getting to meet some of you guys.

Ill be there May 1st im leaving at 6:30AM to be there around 9 or 10

Well, I'm coming down on the last GO train from Barrie, and I plan to be there for the start as well. Defiinitely going.

I might stay the whole day, I don't know yet.

I, along with a couple members, made the trip up to Bradford to launch the Bradford West Gwillimbury Transit service. Here are a few observations:

1. Contrary to popular opinion, the numbering scheme is actually quite strange in that the three buses they have are numbered 14-4 to 14-6.

2. Ridewise, the ARBOC Spirit of Freedom is a good bus for the town. As I'm posting video soon on my Youtube channel, it should be noted that these buses are equipped with a radio.

3. As far as ridership goes, route 1 exceeded expectations in that one trip had standees. Unlike Niagara-on-the-Lake's launch, this one was highly publicized on social media which helped a great deal to try and entice riders. I hope that transit agencies will start to follow this trend in the future.

Here are the photos of 14-4 and 14-5.

100_0593.jpg100_0594.jpg

Now how's that for a 1000th post?

100_0593.jpg

100_0594.jpg

post-3935-0-22361000-1398991028_thumb.jp

post-3935-0-62739800-1398991052_thumb.jp

post-3935-0-22361000-1398991028_thumb.jpg

post-3935-0-62739800-1398991052_thumb.jpg

An update from BWG Transit:

Dec 23, 2014
BWG Transit offers residents new way to get around
BWG_Transit_winter_2___Content.jpg
BWG TransitStaff
Town officials are pleased with ridership levels on BWG Transit.
Bradford West Gwillimbury Topic
Since BWG Transit launched in May, town of Bradford West Gwillimbury officials are happy with ridership levels and hope to continue improving the service to help get more riders onboard.

The service sees an average of 1,500 rides per month, which municipal officials hoped for when the service began.

Newly hired transit co-ordinator Adam Alessandrini has spoken with many riders who tell him they needed a low-cost service to get to appointments, shopping and around town, especially now that Bradford has grown beyond its downtown.

“This is great to hear because it’s exactly the reason we implemented the service,” he said.

He doesn’t anticipate major changes to the service in the 2015. A few more bus shelters will be installed, while the town will continue listening to rider feedback to help officials decide future direction of transit. Major changes require the decision of council.

Within the next two years, the buses will receive an automated announcement system that will announce stops with a visual indicator and an audio message. This system is required by the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, but Alessandrini said it will improve the service for all riders.

While the bus runs only from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday to Friday, BWG Transit also offers the Taxi-to-GO service, which allows users to get to the GO train station in the morning and back in the evenings at predetermined stops, while paying bus fare, instead of cab fare. Rides must be booked in advance.

BWG Transit fare is $3 cash or $2 using the easyPASS.

I checked the BWG Transit website, and there is a page on there inviting comment on proposed service improvements.

There's a lot explained on the page, but the fundamentals are that Route 2 will be made a clockwise-only route with 60 minute service, instead of the 2-hour bi-directional service they had from launch, and Route 1 will be at 30-35 minute service. Route 2 according to the proposal would not serve the GO station anymore, while Route 1 would still serve it.

The new hub is planned to be the Walmart plaza in the west end and the Library-Leisure centre area just to the east. Service would start at 7:00 AM at Walmart for ROute 1 and Route 2 from the Library at same time.

Note: the software on here still gives me trouble when I try to post links, that's why there isn't one accompanying this post.

https://www.simcoe.com/news-story/7384185-federal-government-funds-vehicle-for-new-bwg-transit-bus/

Bradford has apparently tendered for a new bus and plans to hold public meetings to ask what the public wants done with it.

Also, while we're at it, I was THE first rider on Route 2A when it started in 2014, and did front seat video of the whole trip. Here's some pictures from my time there during the launch on May 1st, 2014. The pics were taken at either Bradford GO Station or at the SmartCentres hub in the west end. 14-4 and 14-5 were the buses I rode.

Here's my video from the ride. I was also featured in a photo on the BWG Transit Facebook page before we left the GO station, Idk if I was in the newspaper though. 

IMG_1350RS.JPG

IMG_1354RS.JPG

IMG_1362RS.JPG

IMG_1366RS.JPG

IMG_1372RS.JPG

IMG_1349RS.JPG

• Like 2