Fares

A. Wong

• Board Admin

Just collecting some info here for posterity, if anyone has other fares/dates feel free to post them. :) Some are probably on archive.org too.

U-Pass

Fall Term 2007: $75.00

Winter Term 2008: $75.00

Fall Term 2008: $78.75

Winter Term 2009: $78.75

Fall Term 2009: $81.19

Winter Term 2010: $81.19

Fall Term 2010: $91.67

Winter Term 2011: $91.67

Fall Term 2011: $104.17

Winter Term 2012: $104.17

Regular ETS Fares

Effective Spring/Summer 2005:

Adult Cash Fare: $2.00

Youth/Senior Cash Fare: $1.75

Effective February 1, 2011:

Adult Cash Fare: $2.85

Effective February 1, 2012:

Adult Cash Fare: $3.00

Youth/Senior Cash Fare: $2.85

• 2 weeks later...
  • Board Admin
Coin-counting pilot project to board buses

Shelley Williamson

09 February 2012 01:22

Shelley Williamson/Metro

Edmonton Transit is piloting a coin-only fare box on some of its buses beginning next week.

The Edmonton Transit Service is rolling out cash-counting fare boxes on some buses next week in an effort to curb payment disputes and improve boarding times.

The Coin Tube pilot project will be on four buses from mid-February through March.

While the city has talked about moving to smart cards as a payment option, an ETS spokesperson acknowledges coins are here to stay.

“We don’t figure we’re going to get away from change in the foreseeable future,” said Gordon Dykstra, ETS supervisor of fare programs.

Existing fare boxes will accept tickets, but a second box, like a vending machine, only takes coins.

Rejected change will be diverted out the side to a return cup and coin value will be displayed on a screen, so it will no longer be an operator’s word against a bus rider.

“We’re hoping that it actually reduces conflict,” said Dykstra.

The transit union boss hopes that’s true.

“I can tell you what will cut down on conflict —smart cards, but I guess that’s where they’re going,” said Stu Litwinowich, Amalgamated Transit Union 569 president.

“I think a trial is a good idea.”

Litwinowich also said he hopes feedback from transit operators when passengers have not submitted enough bus fare will also be tracked by ETS.

Metro Edmonton

Source: http://www.metronews.ca/edmonton/local/article/1092884--coin-counting-pilot-project-to-board-buses

• Board Admin

Digital bus pass tested

Shelley Williamson

10 February 2012 02:21

896299c747b1aa53989c583853a1.jpg

Shelley Williamson/Metro

Michelle Dumontier, ETS programs administrator, holds up her iPhone to demonstrate how an electronic pass can be used by some transit riders to board buses in a pilot project.

Bus riders tired of fumbling for loose change or venturing to a retail outlet for a monthly card may soon have another option at their fingertips.

There’s an app for that.

Edmonton Transit Service is a week into a trial with 25 participants in the ETS@Work program who can access their monthly transit pass from their iPhone.

As with an airline e-ticket, users show passes to the driver on their device to board the bus.

“We provide the information on how to get the app and they load it on their phone,” said Patricia Waisman, ETS director of business development and facilities.

Instead of having to go pick up a pass or have it mailed, riders can access it anywhere.

“It’s a way of making it easier for people to get their monthly passes,” added Waisman.

Also being considered on ETS buses down the road are payment through “smart,” debit and credit cards, but they may be months away and will need funding, said Waisman.

“We want to get away from people having to go somewhere else first to get on the bus,” she said.

Metro Edmonton

Source: http://www.metronews.ca/edmonton/local/article/1093972--digital-bus-pass-tested

---

I thought it was a NFC farebox at first, but if it's just showing the phone, that's the worst idea for fare payment, ever. Very easily frauded.

In other fare news, tonight a Peace Officer took 3 people off my train for not having a fare at Central, and there were already 2 more officers there, so I guess it was good timing.

According to the ETS website, cash fare for Youth / Senior is also $3.00

$3.00 for a bus ride, and no discount for the elderly and young? I'd rather walk or take a bike. I pay $0.50 to $1.50 (Depends on what agency's bus im taking)

Many cities now just treat the cash fare as 'a bum in a seat', regardless of age (except under 6 accompanied by a fare paying passenger still ride free). The concession fare still counts towards passes and tickets - therefore the non descriminatory cash fare is an incentive to purchase tickets or passes.

• Board Admin

Alberta Health Services Staff Test Digital Bus Pass

A test group of staff from Alberta Health Services will be able to display their monthly passes via their Apple devices rather than a printed paper product, as part of a pilot project for the months of February, March and April this year. During the pilot project, this App will be available to AHS staff only on web enabled Apple devices - iPhone and iPad.

ETS will be surveying operators and staff during the pilot to gauge their reactions and identify opportunities for improvement.

This opportunity offers ETS the ability to test the concept and technology for digital media and its compatability with ETS operations. The results of our assessment during the pilot project will help determine the future of mobile payment as part of the ETS@WORKprogram

http://www.edmonton....ices-staff.aspx

Still, no one sees a problem with this? Maybe they will see the light after 3 months of testing.

(also, usual ETS spelling mistake of "compatability")