Costa Concordia aground!

Exactly! I kinda doubt it will sink any further from this point due to where it is...

That depends on a number of things, not the least of which is whether it gets shaken free of the outcropping it seems to be run aground on.

Dan

No offence but this is now old news.

I know; I just came a bit late, so I am sorry for that.

My idea was to transmit that I really was on the ship, and how I feel for this situation is simply unexplainable.

Not only that but it hasn't sank as yet. It's still aground.

Dan

Very true. I do not know how deep the water is around that area where that is resting currently.

You guys don't know it, but the vessel is on an unstable position - it moves every single day - and she is sitting just at the peak of the island's platform border, and eventually she can slip to the depth.

Two ways to get her out of there is to try to righten the ship without making her slip down and tow her to a shipyard: there could have a chance of repairing her, but I doubt it, as on the starboard side you see the "eviscerated" keel, and the other side is simply broken in pieces, as many underwater explorations proved it.

Add it to the everything inside, also broken up and submerged in saltwater; passengers said that when the ship started to list, they heard everything inside - stairways, walls... - breaking apart.

The other way seals the fate of the ship and implies cutting the ship and tow the pieces to a shipbreaker.

These are the latest news, as I got myself stuck to news channels looking to know what happened exactly.

I would vote for the first try, though; I wanted to board that ship again, despite what happened. :)

Even the company is being held responsible too, for not properly training the crews for emergency situations, but the fact is that Cpt. Schettino did really violated the company's rules by taking the ship off-route without the consent and permission from them, which makes us thinking that perhaps the captain thought that the company would never permit him to do that detour.

You guys don't know it, but the vessel is on an unstable position - it moves every single day - and she is sitting just at the peak of the island's platform border, and eventually she can slip to the depth.

What makes you think that you somehow are the only one here who knows what condition the ship is in?

Of course it's unstable - it is snagged on a rocky underwater outcropping, and has to deal with wave action and the tides.

Dan

What makes you think that you somehow are the only one here who knows what condition the ship is in?

Dan

I did not wanted to say that exactly - I am now watching your previous post about "not sunk as yet", so I am very sorry, forgive me, smallspy-san. :)

Somehow, slicing the ship is quite dangerous at this point.

So as refloating those 114 000 tons is: the wreck may rest there for more 7 to 10 months, as I heard on news.

You guys should have heard/seen that, too.

If the refloating option will be made within all those months, then the vessel may be already condemned, as the weather and sea will keep deteriorating her, including what is still onboard, like that beautiful wall painting on the front lobby... :(

News also say that some souvenirs taken from onboard (including the launch ceremony medallion) have been sold on biddings, but practically no one was there to purchase them, either for respect of the situation or peoples' protests.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you can plug the holes and pump out the water, she'll float.

It is as risky as sectionate her, but much easier to take her to dock.

But I guess not much will ever be recovered, since practically everything inside is broken to pieces, and the water already must have damaged good part of the ship.

The Company may already have predicted that, when stated that the cruise liner was then a total loss.

----------------------------------------------------

And now, it is the Costa Allegra - which was cruising around the Seychelles - that had a power failure...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/costa-allegra

It seems that a fire on one of her engines broke out, and the vessel went adrift into the Indian ocean.

It had to be a fishing vessel strong enough to bring the cruise liner to port.

Now, everyone can imagine the despair of the company to try to sustain it's image, as one of the largest cruise line operators in the World!

Anyway, we must be aware that things of this genre happens, no matter how prestigious, large and/or well known a company may be, and we must not understand this as lack of competence from the part of Costa Cruises.

I would never mind to board a Costa Cruises ship again, and I might just do so, maybe this year, and I think everybody else could think this way, too.