History of Winnipeg Transit

armorand

On 3/26/2020 at 11:53 PM, Taylorover9001 said:

I'm working on a program which uses GTFS data to display bus related information. But not just in the present, but in the past too. The earliest I currently have is dated from February 2011, a year before the RT started. The program is not finished, but a version of it can be found below, as well as screenshots. So if you're interested in what the schedules and trips were like in the past, here you go. (Note: Program is designed for Windows PC's, with 1920x1080 or 2256x1504 (or higher) resolution monitors.)

https://mega.nz/#!IMdWiIjQ!q8quIhT3p3qMMtqRV5oWHQ03e_-ZH5Fy9HEWKHLvQxI
Edit: Updated March 30th 2020 at 18:16.

CPTDB1.thumb.png.7be1d20644b6c2136ef734d4a05d1f86.pngCPTDB2.thumb.png.255edb442941384970b3dfd0c5bff7bd.pngCPTDB3.thumb.png.0348c517f4a56a07981c96746c4de8fc.pngCPTDB5.thumb.png.5373ffc5e6bf44bce459395f580eb85b.pngCPTDB4.thumb.png.b442113d9804aa4efe018f70c0f05daa.png

That's really cool! Do you plan to have it use real time component at any point?

33 minutes ago, Taylorover9001 said:

I would love to, but I don't think I can with the language I'm currently using.

What language are you using? It would be cool to see bus assignments and schedule adherence as well. I know there was a project on here by someone else that did something similar, perhaps they'd have some advice. https://transit55.ca/

With it using GTFS, how difficult is it to pull trip data from other transit systems?

19 hours ago, Taylorover9001 said:

I've been using QB64, a modern(ish) dialect of BASIC. I also have Visual Basic 2008, which I may try using too.

I find that Visual Studio 2019 also works with the Open Data from Transit. I was impressed with how the sample file worked (BTW its the CSS of the proper colors for each route)

• 1 month later...

My sister got  this link to an HO scale model of an old GM New Look bus:

A former winnipeg transit driver posted this link to a model of the old style transit bus. I thought you might like this.

On 5/28/2020 at 11:07 AM, LilZebra said:

My sister got  this link to an HO scale model of an old GM New Look bus:

A former winnipeg transit driver posted this link to a model of the old style transit bus. I thought you might like this.

Fleet # 205, part of the 25-unit 1965 order or TDH5303s.

• 2 weeks later...

Two images I posted to Wikimedia today from my photo collection of years gone by...

October 2004 of Winnipeg Transit bus 422 Donald at Assiniboiine Ave. I had just purchased my Kodak DX6490 a few days earlier:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Winnipeg_Transit_bus.jpg

July 2008 of Winnipeg Transit bus 704 northbound Fort at Graham. WT's first order of air cond. buses.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Winnipeg_Transit_bus_704.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The MTHA has received a request for historical schedule information from the 1960s. In particular the inquiry is looking for Saturday schedule info from WATT street to the airport. I'm guessing that would have been the WATT bus to downtown and then the SARGENT bus out to the airport. I know the SARGENT trolley bus route didn't get to the airport but did the diesel bus?

We have a good, nearly complete, collection of printed schedules from the 1980s forward (with a smattering of schedules from the 1970s) but nothing from the 1960s...

Anybody got anything from that era?

19 hours ago, DavidW said:

The MTHA has received a request for historical schedule information from the 1960s. In particular the inquiry is looking for Saturday schedule info from WATT street to the airport. I'm guessing that would have been the WATT bus to downtown and then the SARGENT bus out to the airport. I know the SARGENT trolley bus route didn't get to the airport but did the diesel bus?

We have a good, nearly complete, collection of printed schedules from the 1980s forward (with a smattering of schedules from the 1970s) but nothing from the 1960s...

Anybody got anything from that era?

I'm not certain about the '60s schedule but I remember the routing in the '60s and '70s and have a schedule from 1983.  The Sargent bus ran to the airport in the '70s, with some trippers terminating at Valour Road during rush hours, and probably did so from when the then-new terminal opened in 1964.  The Sargent trolley coach route had been dieselized on May 16th, 1960 and as a diesel route it was later interlined with the Mountain route, but I don't know when.  But getting to the Sargent route from Watt St. would depend on the time of day the person was travelling.

On weekdays and Saturdays the Watt St. buses ran downtown midday and operated on Portage Ave. as far as Vaughan, then looped via Vaughan, Ellice and Kennedy with the timepoint being at Webb Place & Kennedy (it later moved to Portage & Edmonton).  But they only followed this route until the 18:45 departure from Watt & Leighton (18:30 on Saturdays).

In the evenings the Watt St. bus was interlined with the Cathedral route, so the buses turned north at Redwood & Main to Cathedral instead of going downtown.  The best way to the airport was to transfer to a Portage bus at Johnson & Henderson, then to a Sargent at any stop on Portage prior to Vaughan.  The reverse procedure would get you back to Watt St.  Interestingly, when the Cathedral service stopped operating at about 23:00 Watt St. buses operated from Redwood & Main to North garage and back for the rest of the night.  The Watt & Cathedral interline operated all day on Sundays, including the North Garage trips after 23:00.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

I know that Grant Park Shopping Centre Phase I didn't open until that time as Dominion at one end and Woolco in '64.

But why the Corydon routing?

I'm also aware, based on old newspaper archives that when the Grant bus route started back in 1955 that it travelled down Lilac St.

I too am confused by the Corydon-Stafford routing. Why wouldn't it have just travelled down Pembina to Grant? While I'm not entirely sure what the geography was like in 1962, I find it surprising it didn't go west of Kenaston at all. Do you have any others you'd be willing to share, for the sake of preservation?

I know that by 1972-73 the Grant bus ran to Red River College till Nov. '97. Went to "Unicity" since '75.

In the early 1980s when I was attending Kelvin High School, there were buses signed Grant Kenaston that I guess turned around at Grant and Edgeland loop.

Could be the portion of Grant Ave. between Stafford and Pembina had not been created/p[aved yet. Remember that until the 1950s, the ROW that is Grant was the former Canadian Northern Rwy line.

4 hours ago, LilZebra said:

Could be the portion of Grant Ave. between Stafford and Pembina had not been created/paved yet. Remember that until the 1950s, the ROW that is Grant was the former Canadian Northern Rwy line.

The map seems to indicate that Grant did at least exist between Stafford and Pembina by that time.
1276387557_GrantEast.thumb.png.b03ef91f29fa1b4a4441e84d212456b0.png
To be fair, there isn't much between Stafford and Pembina on Grant, even to this day, but still it is part of Grant.

In the early 1980s when I was attending Kelvin High School, there were buses signed Grant Kenaston that I guess turned around at Grant and Edgeland loop.

Even to this day, there are buses signed "66 GRANT > KENASTON", which start at Unicity or Polo Park, and terminate at Grant @ Kenaston East, usually with a timed connection to a 66 City Hall.

that I guess turned around at Grant and Edgeland loop.

Reminds me of the 18 Corydon & Cambridge short-turns (which barely exists anymore).

It took me about four hours to scan 62 more timetables dated between 1957 and 1963.  Here's a couple more:

Grant_Bus-1960_Apr_10.pdf

Academy_Rd_Bus-1960_Jul_03.pdf

University_Bus-1960_Jul_03.pdf

Express_Portage_Bus-1960_Jul_03.pdf

I also notice that while there is a Wolseley Bus pamphlet in the collection, there's no St. Boniface Bus pamphlet...

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Isaac Williams said:

I too am confused by the Corydon-Stafford routing. Why wouldn't it have just travelled down Pembina to Grant? While I'm not entirely sure what the geography was like in 1962, I find it surprising it didn't go west of Kenaston at all. Do you have any others you'd be willing to share, for the sake of preservation?

9 hours ago, LilZebra said:

Could be the portion of Grant Ave. between Stafford and Pembina had not been created/p[aved yet. Remember that until the 1950s, the ROW that is Grant was the former Canadian Northern Rwy line.

As a former WInnipegger (prior to 1967) and therefore one of the older members on this Board, perhaps these comment are helpful.  Note that there are no route number references, because it is many years before the introduction of route numbers in 1984.

*   The Stafford to Pembina connection on Grant was not completed until after the 1962 timetable that shows the Corydon-Stafford routing.

*    There was not a lot happening on Grant, even west of Stafford, at that time.  Prior to 1962, GRANT buses operated both ways from/to Confusion Corner via Corydon, Stafford, Dudley, Rockwood, Lorette and Cambridge to Grant. 

*    GRANT-Kenaston buses terminated at a loop at the south east corner of Grant and Kenaston.    While there was some housing immediately west of Kenaston between Grant and Tuxedo, service to that area was provided by the CHARLESWOOD bus from Polo Park via Kenaston and Corydon, by the ACADEMY trolley bus on Kenaston and Tuxedo to/from Edgeland Loop, and by GRANT-Polo Park buses Monday to Saturday.

• Like 1

The Grant route began in November 1955 and was connected to the Talbot bus route. the longest in Greater Winnipeg  at the time at 9.75 miles. In 1955-56 rhe route terminated at the Grant & Lindsey tracks.

The family house we lived in was constructed in 1958. The ones closer to Grant in 1955.

https://web.archive.org/web/20091213174714/http://www.uwto.org/trib/transit_1955longestroute.html

11 hours ago, Isaac Williams said:

That's quite the name for a route,

Sure is. A sanatorium was a medical institution where people got treated for TB.  After TB was overcome, it got converted into today's St. Amant Centre.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanatorium

I'm surprised at two things about this route:

1) It doesn't list St. Mary's Rd. or whatever major thoroughfare that is on the map.

2) It is a very short route.

DaveW, do the Sherbrook and St. Norbert documents have maps? They're missing in the scans.

Note that the St. Charles route includes delineation of the Fare Zones, that were done away with in abouts 1964.

2 hours ago, LilZebra said:

I'm surprised at two things about this route:

1) It doesn't list St. Mary's Rd. or whatever major thoroughfare that is on the map.

2) It is a very short route.

DaveW, do the Sherbrook and St. Norbert documents have maps? They're missing in the scans.

Note that the St. Charles route includes delineation of the Fare Zones, that were done away with in abouts 1964.

1. It's St. Mary's Road.  The Sanatorium Bus was a motorbus extension of the St. Mary's trolleybus route.

Some pamphlets do not have maps.  You'll have to imagine the route from the timing points 🙂.

38 minutes ago, LilZebra said:

Does there exist a Winnipeg bus route simulator  route like Train Simulator?

I bought TS 2021 as a Christmas present for myself this year.

It'd be nice to drive these routes as they were back in the day.

Yes, I know what a sanatorium is. I think bus simulators do exist, but I doubt any Winnipeg packs exist. There used to be web apps that would let you drive a car on top of Google Maps satellite imagery, but I don't know if those are still around. If you can find one, that would give you some of the experience.