armorand

History of Winnipeg Transit

First off, how was transit service back around the 1980s and 1990s (particularly in St James/Charleswood)? And secondly, could I possibly find a book on Winnipeg Transit locally? Also starting this thread so I can ask history-related questions and keep the other threads for their own usage!

And secondly, could I possibly find a book on Winnipeg Transit locally?

The only history books I am aware of covering Winnipeg Transit are:

• Baker, John E., Winnipeg's Electric Transit: The Story of Winnipeg's Streetcars and Trolley Busses, Railfare Enterprises Limited, West Hill (Ontario), 1982.

• Blake, Herbert W., The Era of Streetcars in Winnipeg: 1881 to 1955, self-published by H. W. Blake, Winnipeg (Manitoba), 1971.

• Winnipeg Transit, Moving With Winnipeg Since 1882, Winnipeg Transit, Winnipeg (Manitoba), 1982. (pamphlet)

all of which are long out of print. I am aware of a project to write a Winnipeg or Manitoba transit bus history book but we haven't started writing it yet.

There are copies of Baker and Blake in the public library.

First off, courtesy of Trebor204 on SSP, sharing this!

Transit_June1986-1.jpg

Also, went to Assiniboia Downs and took photos of what-might be the most rarely used bus stop in Winnipeg (even Turnbull sees more days in use).

576976_393252954044437_501826975_n.jpg

550989_393252747377791_413004468_n.jpg

What is the history behind this transit stop? And with future developments (along with the fact this still is City of Winnipeg land), is there a possibility that this may be used the other 355 days of the year?

note to other CPTDB users: Red River Ex lasts roughly 10 days, only time this stop see's much use.

Interesting with regards to the Red River Ex. Still has the old style of shelter.

Wonder how old this shelter, or better yet, this entire transit set-up is. The chairs make me think at least mid-80s.

Anyone want to add to this? :P

ps. What happened to Kinguni? I liked talking to him. :(

Have you tried sending him a Private Message on this board or try sending him an e-mail?

No idea what his e-mail is, and checking his profile activity, he's been gone for quite some time. I liked talking to him, on the other forum I'm on, he was the only other person who'd ever post on transit threads except me. :P

972345_190648867774318_235093460_n.jpg

Found this on the "Bus Lounge". Osborne/Broadway sure hasnt changed much, from this angle. Only notable difference might probably be the traffic lights or the new "transit stop upgrades" in front of the church.

Osborne Junction, 1987.

winnipeg-CWTS238gmnl+122d901-daw1986s.jpg

Things to note: Twenty-year old #238 (1967 GM TDH-5303) on the 60 PEMBINA University route, followed by two-year old #122 (1985 Flyer D901A) on an 18 CORYDON Kenaston trip. Another GM new look heads north on Osborne Street, while transit trailer #34 is positioned and staffed to make passenger counts at the key intersection. The wooden shelter at Osborne northbound can just be glimpsed behind the northbound Jimmie.

Great shot! Did you ever get a photo of Winnipeg 1960 GM TDH-5301 #271 in active service before she was retired and sold to a private owner in Red Deer?

I don't seem to have a shot of #271 in my collection. Sorry.

Here's another 1986 shot.

winnipeg-CWTS962orion01-daw1986s.jpg winnipeg-WESR45williamavs.jpg

Winnipeg Transit #962 (1981 OBI model Orion 01.501) lays over on William Avenue just west of Main Street, waiting for its next trip on the 12 WILLIAM Polo Park. The white building beside the bus is the council chambers building of city hall. Compare the location with a snowed-in streetcar #42 (1891 Patterson & Corbin), going nowhere soon on the WILLIAM AVE. route in 1903.

Nice! Don't forget about the cement truck behind 962; looks like a Mack! :D

Winnipeg had a number of Mack buses: 619, one of 10 C47DT's in 1953; some lasted as late as 1967 - the year before the first Flyer D700s were delivered., There were various other types as well, plus 25 CR3S trolley buses. Full listing in wiki under Winnipeg Electric Company and Greater Winnipeg Transit Commission.

1174783_561437200559344_697812267_n.jpg

Managed to get a good shaded one of a D40 today. Does anyone have pics from the early 1990s of D40s? I know Peter has some on his site, along with Martin, and maybe a few others. But I havent seen very many :(

winnipeg-CWTS222gmolpolopk-daw1987.jpg

Winnipeg Transit #222 (1965 GM TDH5303 "new look") waits at Polo Park terminal before beginning another run on the 79 Charleswood. Summer of 1987. Note on the bus stop sign the unique telephone number for the stop's Telebus service. Initially every stop had its own phone number, using up several hundred telephone numbers. The system was later changed over to a single access number, followed by entering the four-digit stop code.

The 26 was on the opposite side of the bus loop, correct? I think I remember the pre-2000 setup well, and I remember the 26 being the first bus bay into the loop, but I dont know if I'm correct or not. (I was 5-6 at the time)

I have never used the bus loop at the front of Polo Park before. Growing up in the River East area made us use the "Eaton's Loop" on the west side of the mall as that is where the 11 Kildonan stopped.

winnipeg-CWTS222gmolpolopk-daw1987.jpg

Winnipeg Transit #222 (1965 GM TDH5303 "new look") waits at Polo Park terminal before beginning another run on the 79 Charleswood. Summer of 1987. Note on the bus stop sign the unique telephone number for the stop's Telebus service. Initially every stop had its own phone number, using up several hundred telephone numbers. The system was later changed over to a single access number, followed by entering the four-digit stop code.

Wow, in almost original colors! The only significant changes are the rollsigns and the City crest replacing the old Metro Transit logo. At that time, the "check mark" was probably just being phased in with scheduled repaints.

A little off-topic, but I definitely miss the old glass curtain that the Polo Park entrance used to have... now, its all just concrete, plaster and a big advertisement to greet you into the mall. It's good for them to have more retail space, but still, it did look good before the mid-2000s expansion.

Here's a trio of pictures. I think they are from circa 2000.

1. Winnipeg Transit #417, a 1998 New Flyer model D40LF, on eastbound on Graham Avenue at Edmonton Street, "18 NORTH MAIN Riverbend".

winnipeg-CWTS417d40lf-c2000.jpg

2. Winnipeg Transit #925, a 1996 New Flyer model D30LF wearing the "Downtown Flyer" decals and operating on route "99 Downtown Flyer", turning onto northbound Edmonton St. from eastbound Graham Avenue.

winnipeg-CWTS925d30lf-c2000.jpg

3. Winnipeg Transit #466, a 1999 New Flyer model D40LF, eastbound on Graham Avenue at Kennedy Street. "17 MacGREGOR Seven Oaks Hospital".

winnipeg-CWTS466d40lf-c2000.jpg

The first post, how was service in St J and Charleswood? Not as good as it is now. The 79 Charleswood had one hour service on Sundays (only one bus out there). The 66 Grant went either to Roblin and Dieppe, or Unicity, or Polo. There used to be the 21 Portage Red Express and 22 Portage Green Express. That's back when the 400s were Flyer D800s, and passengers would ask the drivers, "do you go to Eaton's?" meaning Donald and Portage. Memories.

The board wiki has a lot of valuable information, including past fleet rosters - but it can only be as good as the efforts (much appreciated) of its editors, and the information they get.

This newspaper clipping is from the Calgary Herald, and it's dated 16 November 1949.

CalgaryHerald-16Nov1949p15.png

Transit fares for University students were going up from 7.5 cents to 8.33 cents, and the monthly pass was leaping from $7.50 to $9.00.

This newspaper clipping is from the Calgary Herald, and it's dated 16 November 1949.

attachicon.gifCalgaryHerald-16Nov1949p15.png

Transit fares for University students were going up from 7.5 cents to 8.33 cents, and the monthly pass was leaping from $7.50 to $9.00.

In those days it probably sucked as much as it does today. Plus ça change...

While doing research at the U of M today, found a map of "Plan Winnipeg" and proposed changes to Winnipeg Transit, circa 1975-1980.

10355879_1559121937656307_24716789243232

I can see Routes 64 and (1)80 in there, along with Route's 51, 91, 49, 18 Riverbend, 16... it's also scary to see my local route (26), with seperate headways on what I presume is Berry, and King Edward (or maybe Queens). Also of note is the Transit Corridor, which I'm trying to centre my research focus on...