A. Wong

2012 Edmonton and Area Spottings

5 car trains will be operated when construction occurs for the junction to the NAIT line occurs just north of Churchill. During construction, the line will be single tracked through Churchill Station with a reduction in frequency, nessistating 5 car trains to maintain capacity.

Service changes for April 2012 are up. Big news for these changes is the airport bus, discussed elsewhere.

Route 4 will have the 15 minute service start earlier on weekends. As well, when the route goes down from 15 to 30 minutes in the evening, the 15 minute trips in between the regular trips will now go all the way to Capilano instead of ending at University. As well, on Saturday evenings there are now a whole host of extras leaving WEM, giving the 4 7-8 minute service eastbound from WEM between 5:45 and 9:30. These extras will end at either University or Bonnie Doon depending on the trip, and there is no coherent pattern for where they end.

Route 6 gets a slight extension of its 15 minute frequency on Saturdays, but only eastbound from Southgate. Seems to be a bit of a waste, as there is no time savings in deadheading as opposed to running in service back to Southgate.

Route 33 gets a couple of extra trips on Saturday midday.

Route 43 gets some PM off peak direction trips cancelled.

Route 322 has a slight route change to serve another seniors home.

Routes 331 and 360 are new routes running out of Century Park to serve more new neighborhoods south of Ellesrlie Road that have no business existing.

Route 57 gets its weekday midday times shifted back by 6 minutes, bascially undoing a change from a couple of years ago that resulted in the 7 and 57 not being properly spaced out along the common route. Of course, this means that the 57 will once again be back to back with the 4 down Whyte.

Various other routes have minor trip time changes to improve connections.

Big change for this summer will be the LRT, which will be single tracked through Churchill Station from April 29 until September 1 to allow for construction of the junction with the NAIT line. Trains will be running every 9 minutes until 9 pm on weekdays, with 5 car trains in operation during peak hours.

We did that one New Years Eve. Took the last train to CLVW, hung out at a 24hr Tim Horton's for a bit, and then took the First (revenue) Train to HSS on New Years Day. And believe it or not, there were even trolleys running that day. WOW. Good times......

Day 1 of 5-car trains. Pretty cool, makes this LRT (lil' rinky-dink train) actually look legit now!

On the downside, the decreased frequency (trains every 9 minutes) still made for a busy ride. Maybe people have to learn to board closer to the ends rather than towards the middle now.

Day 1 of 5-car trains. Pretty cool, makes this LRT (lil' rinky-dink train) actually look legit now!

On the downside, the decreased frequency (trains every 9 minutes) still made for a busy ride. Maybe people have to learn to board closer to the ends rather than towards the middle now.

The train I went home on from University today, the car I was standing in front of was pretty full and the next one south was pretty thin.

Agreed. Whenever you decrease frequency, the ride gets busier. Frequency (not bigger/longer vehicles) is the key to keeping people moving and thinning out the crowds.

Number crunching........

Friend of mine just texted me. Today is the 3rd day of the sign-up, he's on his 8th bus and 5th changeover and still 2 hours till the end of his shift. :lol:

So does that mean he gets a tax refund ??? :lol:

lol NO!

Text from a friend just now: D40LF unit # 201 was seen on the hook yesterday. Not sure where it was going. It was missing its rear doors. Units 4853, 4854, 4855 and 4856 are the airport units.

http://webdocs.edmon...rrent/RT596.pdf

An ovedue change, but the 596 Fort Edmonton/Zoo Shuttle will run on Saturdays as well as Sundays this year!

Holy Crap ! Long Overdue. Now we wait for frequency and some weekday service. I'll be getting pension before that happens!!! :P

Some LRT changes in the next sign up. Weekday service will be every 10 minutes, instead of every 9 minutes. And the weekday evening service will go down to 15 minutes, eliminating the service increase that was implemented last fall. Whether this is permanent or seasonal remains to be seen. Looking at the schedules, the weekday and Saturday schedules are now identical.

Wow, reductions. Why does this not surprise me? I don't recall summer reductions on the LRT before, just the usual school-related bus service reductions.

Just got back two weeks ago from a nice little holiday to Edmonton. ETS is a nice transit system, however I've never seen SO MANY NEW FLYERS! 98% of what I saw was D40LF's, with a few D40LFR's and one shuttle, one Orion VII Hybrid, and one D60LF.