2012 Edmonton and Area Spottings

A. Wong

• Board Admin

Yeah... I don't know when the last time any material like that was carried onto transit... even across Canada!

Maybe GSR (gunshot residue) would be a better thing to scan for, but I don't know if it's as simple as it looks as it does in CSI. :P

For those that are using scanners and havent been able to listen when the driver presses control button, just code in your tgid list .00000 on the BC346XT it works. This is called i-call so most trunk tracker scanners can get this in!

I tell you, its a big difference to hear my scanner noisy on transit again. lol

• 2 weeks later...
  • Board Admin

Saw an interesting ad on the LRT yesterday for ETS (blue/green theme)... advertising "new features" in transit, such as that drinks are now allowed on transit as long as the beverage is in a spill-proof container, service animals are allowed on trains, and some other points I didn't pay much attention to.

• Board Admin

Buses look to rack up cyclists

Shelley Williamson

17 February 2012 02:14

6c937690442eb50739f40e22344e.jpg

contributed/city of edmonton

Many buses in Edmonton already feature bike racks, and there are plans to outfit the remaining vehicles.

While half of the city’s bus fleet is already geared to stow bikes as well as riders, the wheels are in motion to ramp up the number of routes offering racks on ETS buses.

“Anytime we buy a new bus, they come as standard equipment now,” said Ken Koropeski, ETS director of service development and fleet support.

Plans to get the entire fleet racked up will likely take about three years and cost at least $750,000, so extra funding will be needed, said Koropeski.

“There’s definitely been that interest,” he added.

A number of companies offer the racks, so the contract to equip the remaining 400 to 500 vehicles will be tendered out.

Local bike enthusiasts are on board.

Keith Hallgren of the Edmonton Bicycle Commuters Society said it’s welcome news.

“It’s something we’ve been pushing for through the EBC,” said Hallgren. “It’s going to convince more people to do the multimodal thing.”

Metro Edmonton

Source: http://www.metronews.ca/edmonton/local/article/1101215--buses-look-to-rack-up-cyclists

• Board Admin

Bus shortage in city’s near future: Report

Heather McIntyre

22 February 2012 05:45

Edmonton Transit has enough buses — for now.

But there will be impacts in the next three years with no new ones on the way, a council committee heard Tuesday.

According to a report, ETS will operate 712 buses during peak periods by April.

An additional 12 will be held in reserve; seven will resolve overload problems on routes 2, 4, 6, 39, 67 and 100 as of September; and four will provide new service to developing areas.

Meanwhile, 12 routes approaching overload conditions, route extensions and new cross-town connections will not be dealt with this year — and impacts could be greater in 2013 and 2014.

A solution could come from a review of ETS’ spare ratio, which currently has 24 per cent of the fleet in the garage on standby or for maintenance.

“A lower number would mean we could add more into service to deal with these issues of overcrowding,” said Coun. Amarjeet Sohi.

The review will be done by the fall.

“We didn’t have the funds to provide (new buses) right now,” said Coun. Don Iveson. “But we knew we’d be looking at our maintenance practices.”

Source: http://www.metronews.ca/edmonton/local/article/1105658--bus-shortage-in-city-s-near-future-report

24% spare ratio is ridiculous...

Make yielding to city buses law, official says

Heather mcintyre

23 February 2012 05:59

e557e400499dba7264fef459d4d5.jpg

Shelley Williamson/Metro

Making it law for other vehicles to yield to buses signaling back into traffic is something Edmonton’s transportation boss would like to look at.

City transportation officials plan to approach the province and signal a need for yielding to buses.

The hope is to make allowing a transit bus re-entering the traffic flow mandatory, said Bob Boutilier, Edmonton’s general manager of transportation.

“This would not be about changing lanes,” said Boutilier. “It’s about getting back into traffic.

“And it indicates the importance of public transit. To keep these buses on time.”

Despite any prior efforts that have failed at pursuing the initiative in Alberta, Boutilier said it’s time for more than signs simply reading “please yield” on Edmonton Transit buses.

For example, he said, it is provincial law in Ontario to yield to a transit bus re-entering traffic from a bus stop. Local transit union president Stu Litwinowich welcomes discussion with the new government.

“The city has grown and the amount of traffic has grown,” he said. “So we’d really appreciate it.”

To start, transportation staff will examine routes in Edmonton, as the reason the law is necessary in places like Toronto is because buses tend to be in cutouts as opposed to the side of the road, said Boutilier.

Metro Edmonton

Source: http://www.metronews.ca/edmonton/local/article/1106758--make-yielding-to-city-buses-law-official-says

Saw an interesting ad on the LRT yesterday for ETS (blue/green theme)... advertising "new features" in transit, such as that drinks are now allowed on transit as long as the beverage is in a spill-proof container, service animals are allowed on trains, and some other points I didn't pay much attention to.

It was banned? Whoops...

On my way to the Airport via Route 590, I decided to open up a bottle of Coca-Cola (glass; got it from Three Bananas Cafe near Churchill Station) and drink it during the trip to Leduc. The bus driver didn't really seem to care either... :P