Why do most European urban transit operators prefer full low-floor buses?

ABQ RIDE

I was wondering, is there any particular reason why most major European urban transit operators prefer full low-floor buses, as opposed to the partial low-floor layout typical of North American bus manufacturers? In Europe, you will mostly only see the US/Canadian-style low-floor layout in suburban and rural areas. In the major cities, full low-floor is preferred.

Is there any particular reason why this is the norm for European urban operators? Such designs have been proven a disaster in the U.S. and Canada due to their difficulty and high cost of maintenance (such as the Orion VI and some early Nova LFS). So, why this isn't an issue at all for European urban operators?

They should revive the high-floor bus industry. With minituarized 2011 components and a large rechargable battery under the floor, you could EASILY bring the New Look or D40 back. :P

Ever heard of accessibilty?? ;)

I dont think there are any European buses that are being built to high floor specification nowadays.

Ever heard of accessibilty?? :(

I dont think there are any European buses that are being built to high floor specification nowadays.

I meant for North American markets haha, and IMO not everybus should be "acesssible", Particularly with strollers. Try getting one onto an Classic :(

• 8 months later...

Well, my hometown company prefer US and Canadian-style low-floor buses, known as "Low Entry", with low-floored style between doors and high-floored after last door. Full low-floor buses is here rare. Only 50 articulated Mercedes-Benz Citaro and withdrawn Mercedes-Benz Citaro standard. Because here in Lisbon, full low-floor buses can't deal with our road pits and hills. That is the reason which full low-floored buses in Lisbon are a failure.

• 1 month later...

Well, my hometown company prefer US and Canadian-style low-floor buses, known as "Low Entry", with low-floored style between doors and high-floored after last door. Full low-floor buses is here rare. Only 50 articulated Mercedes-Benz Citaro and withdrawn Mercedes-Benz Citaro standard. Because here in Lisbon, full low-floor buses can't deal with our road pits and hills. That is the reason which full low-floored buses in Lisbon are a failure.

Here guys, a possible export market! :D