Sign in to follow this  
Tom1122

Halton County outrage!

I have been visiting the Halton County Radial Railway Museum since June of 1991 and have been a member since 1997. Yesterday I visited the museum with PCCstreetcar4549 (who is also a member) for their Christmas event. When we arrived the woman in the gift shop, fellow member Maureen Marentette asked if we had backpacks because when we last visited, (which was around Halloween), an unnamed item(s) were stolen and she jumped to the conclusion it was us lacking any evidence proving us. She didn't care that we were members and even said if we had our backpacks, she wouldn't let us in! Having worked in retail, I know you aren't supposed to directly accuse a customer of stealing. Especially with that little evidence.

Even though we were let in and stayed for more than 2 hours and left on our own, Maureen's reaction ruined our visit. If she had asked people to leave backpacks at the front counter of the gift shop, it would have been okay.

I have been supportive of this museum and am furious they would even think for once second I was a thief! It's innocent until proven guilty, not the other way around.

Both my dad and I have sent emails to the General Manager of HCRR demanding an apology since this was completely uncalled for. I will most likely renew my membership next year though.

Theres no need for them to apologize if your going to renew your membership anyways, they're doing something good for you to renew it again. Thank them if anything. lol

Yes there is. I still feel for HCRR despite my rage against Maureen.

Theres no need for them to apologize if your going to renew your membership anyways, they're doing something good for you to renew it again. Thank them if anything. lol

Yes there is. I still feel for HCRR despite my rage against Maureen.

Is rage really the right term?

While you were accused, nothing more than that happened. No police were called, you were not removed from the property.

If your so annoyed, don't renew your membership.

You're missing the point D40. He was accused of a crime he did not commit. That is a pretty serious thing to do, especially to a paying member who supported the museum for so long. Why didn't they contact the police?

If your so annoyed, don't renew your membership.

This.

Since you renewed (or are planning to renew) your membership, therefore continuing to support them, your argument is invalid.

I don't know why they didn't call the police, but we did have another HCRR member who witnessed this accusation.

You're missing the point D40. He was accused of a crime he did not commit. That is a pretty serious thing to do, especially to a paying member who supported the museum for so long. Why didn't they contact the police?

Did she directly accuse you two of stealing the items? Was this just for the gift shop or the entire museum?

It seems to me it's more like a blanket policy of no bags in the gift shop due to previous thefts. A few places have policies like this to minimize shrinkage.

I have been visiting the Halton County Radial Railway Museum since June of 1991 and have been a member since 1997. Yesterday I visited the museum with PCCstreetcar4549 (who is also a member) for their Christmas event. When we arrived the woman in the gift shop, fellow member Maureen Marentette asked if we had backpacks because when we last visited, (which was around Halloween), an unnamed item(s) were stolen and she jumped to the conclusion it was us lacking any evidence proving us. She didn't care that we were members and even said if we had our backpacks, she wouldn't let us in! Having worked in retail, I know you aren't supposed to directly accuse a customer of stealing. Especially with that little evidence.

Even though we were let in and stayed for more than 2 hours and left on our own, Maureen's reaction ruined our visit. If she had asked people to leave backpacks at the front counter of the gift shop, it would have been okay.

I have been supportive of this museum and am furious they would even think for once second I was a thief! It's innocent until proven guilty, not the other way around.

Both my dad and I have sent emails to the General Manager of HCRR demanding an apology since this was completely uncalled for. I will most likely renew my membership next year though.

Yes she did. She didn't say what was stolen. It could have been something from the grounds. She could have said, "If you have backpacks please leave them at the front." But she didn't.

Did she directly accuse you two of stealing the items? Was this just for the gift shop or the entire museum?

It seems to me it's more like a blanket policy of no bags in the gift shop due to previous thefts. A few places have policies like this to minimize shrinkage.

I don't have to renew for 5 months a lot can happen between now and then. Beside, I like getting the Radial Report (HCRR's newsletter) and look forward to getting it.

Edit: BEsides, being treated like Terrorists hasn't stopped us from photographing/enjoying transit.

All I can say Tom is wow, you certainly attract the wrong kind of attention. I think if it wasnt for bad luck you would have no luck at all.

I know you have had other issues with the HCRR, maybe it is time to move on, at least for the time being. That way if anyone asks when you return you can tell them you didnt like the way you were treated by other members.

I've known Maureen for a long time. She's a pretty sharp cookie.

She wouldn't make that kind of assumption without some sort of proof - right or wrong - and without knowing what the potential consequences might be of making it.

Dan

I've known Maureen for a long time. She's a pretty sharp cookie.

She wouldn't make that kind of assumption without some sort of proof - right or wrong - and without knowing what the potential consequences might be of making it.

Dan

She seemed pretty dull yesterday, and I've got witnesses to back me up.