CrossIron Mills employee shuttle service?

armorand

I'm still unsure of where you mean. I work in the area and I know there are no townhouses or condos in the Balzac region ( currently it is acreages). There is still a lack of water supply to the Crossiron area so any moderate density residential in that part of Rocky View County is definitely a low priority.

I see structures in your map to the east... they are the horse barns (by dwight mclellend trail) for the abandoned race track. www.uha.ca or search for United Horsemen of Alberta for the news stories about the projects demise. AFAIK immediately south of Xiron is another business park. West of Xiron (other side of Highway 2) is City of Calgary and the associated inter- municipal juridiction issues.

As for the transit for the area, the county's current view is that if the Mall wants transit... the Mall can set up (pay) their own public transit service. It sounds harsh but a mere eight years ago, the county still considered itself an agricultural community. Implications of this development stuff is taking a while to sink in. Right now "transit" is a word on a list of their long-term plans. But the Mall is doing well and who knows how their priorities will shift in the next 5 years

Whoops... my bad. Honestly, they look so much like low-density condos or apartments from up high :P

Guess I gotta wait and see then.

From my understanding, the operators of the employee buses are open to allowing members of the public a ride.

That makes the most sense right there is to take an existing service and make it available to the public. Just take the word "employee" off the signage and voila. A "Shuttle service" to CrossIron Mills.

The bigger challenge I guess is that what sort of schedule does it run? Would it be conducive to public use?

Jon

And from what I'm seeing on that link, the service is paid for partly by the employees who ride (50 bucks a month or a 1.50 per ride) and require proof of employment to even get the passes/tickets.

Pity. They say they're not allowing rides to the public, but if the public wants to shop at CrossIron and do not own a vehicle, how are they supposed to get out there without spending a mint on a taxi fare? Seems to me that if you want to encourage more shoppers there that you would offer the existing service to be available to the public, even at a higher fare than employees - ie: $5 for a round-trip on the same scheduled bus (ie: you cannot board at McKnight-Westwinds, get off at CrossIron and then board a shuttle bound for Airdrie) than to not allow it at all.

Jon

To further this thread, I actually sent the following comments to CrossIron Mills management:

I'm curious as to why your shuttle service will not provide service to the public who want to shop at the mall, but can't get out there due to lack of owning a vehicle and not wanting to pay the huge fare for a taxi?

If you're wanting to make sure people don't use the service for inter-city/region travel (ie: get on at McKnight-Westwinds LRT and go to Airdrie via the CrossIron Shuttle), have them buy a round-trip fare (one that's higher than what the employees pay) which restricts them to return to the location they initially boarded at.

CrossIron merchants get more potential customers, you get better fare recovery on the service, and the public gets a chance to get to the mall without having to drive there and back. Sounds like a Win-Win-Win solution to me. What say you?

Received the following reply on Friday:

Hello,

Firstly, thank you for your feedback. We really appreciate hearing from our customers and the opinions and suggestions we receive always have value.

We continually review and research options for a transportation system providing access to Balzac, Airdrie, and Calgary. While you are absolutely correct that we at the mall would benefit from a public transportation system and that we already provide an employee transportation system, there are substantial barriers to implementing a fair and practical system available to the general public. I trust that, in the not to distant future, a solution will be available however we are waiting, along with you, for a proper and practical alternative.

Thank you for your comments,

Ken Gallaher

I'm thinking they're hoping others (like the governments in the region) will pick up on this so they don't have to pay anything for their employee shuttles...

Jon

To further this thread, I actually sent the following comments to CrossIron Mills management:

Received the following reply on Friday:

[/b]

I'm thinking they're hoping others (like the governments in the region) will pick up on this so they don't have to pay anything for their employee shuttles...

Jon

Sounds familiar... too bad Airdrie ICE won't provide the service. Or Calgary Transit, or Southland. If I ever had the money to start up a bus company, I'd definitely do this route! Charge $5 per rider there and back. 5 (39, roughly # of seats on a D40LF or LFR) = 200 per trip. 400 on the return, if there was no ticket back. Then go on from there...

Someone want to help me win Lotto 649? :P

• 1 year later...

CrossIron is running a public shuttle this summer.

CrossIron Mills Shopping Shuttle

July 1st – Sept. 1st
CrossIron Mills is excited to announce the launch of the Shopping Shuttle for summer 2014!
Running from July 1st – September 1st, the CrossIron Mills Shopping Shuttle will pick up guests from 2 locations:
* Calgary Marriott Downtown: 110 9th Ave SE, Calgary, AB T2G 5A6
* Courtyard Calgary Airport: 2500 48 Ave NE, Calgary, AB T3J 4V8, Canada
$12 for a roundtrip ticket with pre-set pick up and drop off times. Wristbands will be issued and required for pick up from CrossIron Mills.
Pick Up Times starting from Downtown:
Monday – Saturday:
10:00am, 1:30pm & 5:30pm
Sundays & Holidays:
10:00am, 11:30am & 2:30pm
Check back June 17th to reserve your seat online!
Attached is a photo of the advertisement "mural" for the service painted on the wall of a building on Macleod Trail and 13th Ave. Excuse the stuff in the way!

DSC08290 - crop.jpg