STO receives the first Novabus LFS HEV

stm_5307N

Alex Cullen, chairman of Ottawa’s transit commission, said Ottawa plans to spend $46 million on an undetermined number of hybrid buses in 2008, using a grant from the Ontario government and money the city collects from gasoline taxes.

I wonder if OC Transpo will go back with Novabus for hybrids. I guess they will follow closely how the STO's LFS HEV's operate in that case.

• 3 weeks later...

There was a recent CTV news story about overcrowded busses on route 51, among others.

Why don't west end city councillors push for a Metro Blue Line extension? It has been neglected for much too long. Now that Laval is about to get their line, it's time the island of Montreal finish what they started.

Regarding Novabusses: I was surprised to see a few already part of the Victoria, B.C. transit fleet. Apparently there are some in Vancouver as well.

I managed to ride a few New Flyers, trolleys, and even the Sky Train in Vancouver--which was very impressive in my opinion.

Regarding Novabusses: I was surprised to see a few already part of the Victoria, B.C. transit fleet. Apparently there are some in Vancouver as well.

You didn't know this? There was posting at Western Canada about it last year.

You didn't know this? There was posting at Western Canada about it last year.

I don't have the time to read every single piece of info regarding transit systems everywhere, including where Novabus sends their salesmen, but I stumble across interesting items from time to time.

For example, have you seen these amazing sites concerning artics?

http://drehscheibe-online.ist-im-web.de/fo....php?17,3242901

http://drehscheibe-online.ist-im-web.de/fo....php?17,3243977

I don't have the time to read every single piece of info regarding transit systems everywhere, including where Novabus sends their salesmen, but I stumble across interesting items from time to time.

For example, have you seen these amazing sites concerning artics?

http://drehscheibe-online.ist-im-web.de/fo....php?17,3242901

http://drehscheibe-online.ist-im-web.de/fo....php?17,3243977

Interesting.

I was watching Global National today, saw a clip of the STO LFS HEV when Jean Charist exit the bus. The bus are wrapped with this enviromental promotion.

Its a really nice bus (looks like it was built by Hotwheels)

but uhh what does this have todo with STO and their first Novabus LFS HEV?

Well gee i dont know, maybe u should have asked "Tranzit" that question since he's the one who posted the link to a site about artics and with that picture....

The STO Nova LFS HEV is in Montreal right now! STO 0701 was on demo in downtown Montreal along with 27-021 in a full Biobus wrap! STO 0701's front and side STO stickers have been covered up with larger STM stickers. The environment wrap is still on it from the STO though! I wonder if the STM will be testing it in service soon! I saw this on the news at 11:30pm. They mentioned that 8 HEV's will be coming in July for Montreal.

The STO Nova LFS HEV is in Montreal right now! STO 0701 was on demo in downtown Montreal along with 27-021 in a full Biobus wrap! STO 0701's front and side STO stickers have been covered up with larger STM stickers. The environment wrap is still on it from the STO though! I wonder if the STM will be testing it in service soon! I saw this on the news at 11:30pm. They mentioned that 8 HEV's will be coming in July for Montreal.

24 Heures claims they'll be put in service as of 2008 and arrive in late 2007. All these conflicting news reports really bother me...

24 Heures claims they'll be put in service as of 2008 and arrive in late 2007. All these conflicting news reports really bother me...

24 Heures is BS. CTV news yesterday said July and all other reports I read about the LFS HEV's said July as well. I guess we'll know when July comes around.

• 1 month later...

I have to post this here as well for the Montreal area people. The video is linked already in another section, but just incase some Montreal area people don't look in other sections of the board, I'll post it here too. It's the first video of STO LFS HEV 0701 that I know of so far on the net. I'm loving the sound this bus makes! To me it sounds like a E40LFR. It has an electric/trolley type sound to it when it takes off! You can hear it a lot from the inside part of the video. I can't wait for these HEV's to come to Montreal so I can try them out for myself..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McJ0qWqZa_4

Ding! :)

Yup, nice vid, indeed!

I notice there's no "point blocker" over the front wheel-wells, either. Are their surfaces flat or "scooped" somewhat to allow an object to rest on top without sliding off?

Wonder if they'll ever build artic versions of this type? Hmmm.

I have to post this here as well for the Montreal area people. The video is linked already in another section, but just incase some Montreal area people don't look in other sections of the board, I'll post it here too. It's the first video of STO LFS HEV 0701 that I know of so far on the net. I'm loving the sound this bus makes! To me it sounds like a E40LFR. It has an electric/trolley type sound to it when it takes off! You can hear it a lot from the inside part of the video. I can't wait for these HEV's to come to Montreal so I can try them out for myself..

It sounds like those Freightliner garbage truck engines to me. Maybe the sound will sound better if I hear it in person.

Wonder if they'll ever build artic versions of this type? Hmmm.

That's a possiblity. If the STM like the HEV, they might get HEV artics for their order of artics. The future is moving towards hybrid buses, so you never know.

Sounds similar to DE40LF, depending on the rear axle noise.

That's a possiblity. If the STM like the HEV, they might get HEV artics for their order of artics. The future is moving towards hybrid buses, so you never know.

I was thinking the exact same thing today, since they have set a testing date (approx.) for the hybrids before ever mentioning one for the artic then maybe they want to test out the hybrid's system and then encourage Nova to apply the HEV technology to a demo artic to make an AHEV, IMO it would look silly to make all this hype about testing hybrids and all, then get artics that will pollute more than their current LFS's! ;)

I was thinking the exact same thing today, since they have set a testing date (approx.) for the hybrids before ever mentioning one for the artic then maybe they want to test out the hybrid's system and then encourage Nova to apply the HEV technology to a demo artic to make an AHEV, IMO it would look silly to make all this hype about testing hybrids and all, then get artics that will pollute more than their current LFS's! :)

My sentiments exactly.

What is the point of not utilizing a new and proven technology that addresses both rising fuel costs and environmental pollution?

The current transit strikes notwithstanding, this also brings to mind the fact that the Quebec gov't has dropped the ball when it comes to giving a tax break to monthly transit pass users!

When are they going to practice what they preach. ;)

• 3 months later...

The STM just now has finalized the order of Hybrid LFS's. In Wednesday's Gazette it was announced that the Board of Directors finalized the agreement to finance the buses from both governments. It will cost a total of 5.6 millon for 8 buses, or $700,000. They say the buses should be here for 2008 for winter testing then if that goes according to plan more buses may be ordered.

The routes that these buses will run on are:

66, 80, 103, 105, 162, 165, 166, 535.

Obviously these routes will change when we finally get these buses but it's good to know they'll be around the downtown area.

In addition these will probably run on Bio-diesel when that gets started up.

The STM just now has finalized the order of Hybrid LFS's. In Wednesday's Gazette it was announced that the Board of Directors finalized the agreement to finance the buses from both governments. It will cost a total of 5.6 millon for 8 buses, or $700,000. They say the buses should be here for 2008 for winter testing then if that goes according to plan more buses may be ordered.

The routes that these buses will run on are:

66, 80, 103, 105, 162, 165, 166, 535.

Obviously these routes will change when we finally get these buses but it's good to know they'll be around the downtown area.

In addition these will probably run on Bio-diesel when that gets started up.

Excellent. I hope they can some by mid January 2008, when winter belts out it's worst. I want those buses to survive that!