Jump to content

CTrain - U2 cars Retirement Watch


LRT
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Duewag U2 said:

Actually if you at this link http://www.barp.ca/bus/alberta/ct/lrv/ct1983u2/ct1983u2c.html with pictures of 2053 showing different signs 

spoilers 

the signs say 

53 street 

Dalihouise

Castleridge

Somerset

and Westwinds.

 

3 hours ago, Duewag U2 said:

Speaking of 2053, heres a picture of 2053 which had the rollsign displaying "53 street " 

 

images-1.jpg

As one of the webmasters of Barp, it would preferable that you just linked back to the original image instead of uploading it separately to this board. It's small, the but for the person who supplies the hosting for this board, it means they don't lose storage and bandwidth to an image this is already hosted on the internet.

Thanks.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

U2s still in service

 

series 1.  1980 - 1981

2003 , 2007 , 2009 , 2012 , 2013 , 2015 , 2018 , 2020 , 2021 , 2024 , 2025 , 

 

series 2   1982/1983 

2028 , 2030

 

series 3   1983/ Q3 1984 

2031 , 2032 , 2038 , 2039 , 2041 , 2043 ,2044 , 2046 , 2047 , 2048 , 2050 , 2051 , 2053 , 2054 , 2056 , 2058 , 2059 , 2060 , 2061 , 2062 , 2063

 

series 4   Q4 1984/ Feb 1985 

 

2068 2070 2071 2073 , 2082 

 

 

Plus Car 2090 

oldest car 

2003      : Commissioned.     July 4th 1980

Youngest car

2082  Commissioned :        Feb 5 1985 

 

So 2003 is 42 years old and 2082 is 37 years old 

 

All over 35 Years old

40 U2s in service

45 Retired 

 

Most are retired.  

SAD

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Duewag U2 said:

U2s still in service

 

series 1.  1980 - 1981

2003 , 2007 , 2009 , 2012 , 2013 , 2015 , 2018 , 2020 , 2021 , 2024 , 2025 , 

 

series 2   1982/1983 

2028 , 2030

 

series 3   1983/ Q3 1984 

2031 , 2032 , 2038 , 2039 , 2041 , 2043 ,2044 , 2046 , 2047 , 2048 , 2050 , 2051 , 2053 , 2054 , 2056 , 2058 , 2059 , 2060 , 2061 , 2062 , 2063

 

series 4   Q4 1984/ Feb 1985 

 

2068 2070 2071 2073 , 2082 

 

 

Plus Car 2090 

oldest car 

2003      : Commissioned.     July 4th 1980

Youngest car

2082  Commissioned :        Feb 5 1985 

 

So 2003 is 42 years old and 2082 is 37 years old 

 

All over 35 Years old

40 U2s in service

45 Retired 

 

Most are retired.  

SAD

Let’s not forget about the AC cars

Series “nothing” Built 1988

2102 retired and scrapped

2101 refitted as a track / catenary inspection car (scout)

ECF7FC25-CA42-4CCC-A9EC-A4AE4EE7AE47.jpeg

4E0091DE-2912-4326-B00F-B9F188FAA6E8.jpeg

E1293276-CA85-4976-875F-4D948A85D8EC.jpeg

3343B5EE-06FA-4B0D-AD83-AFE7F1598B9D.jpeg

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Duewag U2 said:

Why do not all U2s have Wheelchair ramps???????

Well I would imagine cost and downtime. 
 

When a U2 consist went out, one car was supposed to have a wheelchair ramp in the consist. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok 2073 is in rough shape

2071 is in good condition right?

2005 is in the worst condition but it got retired in 2020

 

 

Heres a website to U2 pictures https://carsandtrains.com/ctrain/u2/u2dc_photoindex.html

2090 is in good condition 

2051 is also in good condition 

2048 is in good condition but it has hallogen lights No LED. 

2025 is in good condition 

2003 is in good condition

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Souluxy said:

Heres 2073 on the Red-Line to Tuscany around 5 minutes ago. The whole consist looks tired and very old. Just not in good condition

24CC34F9-2F8E-4F91-9AAA-9C9D68D0E9DF.jpeg

Just rode that consist home (middle car) from 39th ave a couple hours after your photo. It is indeed tired inside, the seats in particular are really sagging now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, chills_on_the_train said:

Just rode that consist home (middle car) from 39th ave a couple hours after your photo. It is indeed tired inside, the seats in particular are really sagging now.

Outside as well, the window frames look rusty and stuff

6 hours ago, Duewag U2 said:

Ok 2073 is in rough shape

2071 is in good condition right?

2005 is in the worst condition but it got retired in 2020

 

 

Heres a website to U2 pictures https://carsandtrains.com/ctrain/u2/u2dc_photoindex.html

2090 is in good condition 

2051 is also in good condition 

2048 is in good condition but it has hallogen lights No LED. 

2025 is in good condition 

2003 is in good condition

Pretty much all the U2’s look the same. Tired, old, paint jobs peeling off, and rusty.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2051 , 2090 and 2025 ,  looks to be the only ones that dont look tired and rusty

Most of the U2s still in service are the series 3s. Unit 2050s

Due all U2s have LED lights??????

 

 

 

How long will Calgary U2s last????

Has Edmonton ordered S200s??   2023 is coming in 10 months so im wondering are they getting ready to replace U2s next year?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Duewag U2 said:

2051 , 2090 and 2025 ,  looks to be the only ones that dont look tired and rusty

Most of the U2s still in service are the series 3s. Unit 2050s

Due all U2s have LED lights??????

 

 

 

How long will Calgary U2s last????

Has Edmonton ordered S200s??   2023 is coming in 10 months so im wondering are they getting ready to replace U2s next year?

Probably will be gone by 2025-2026 I’m guessing

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Duewag U2 said:

It has been 6 years since 2101 was removed out of service  

heres a picture which was actually on the forum "CTrain U2 AC Cars (2101 & 2102)"

of 2101 going in 3 stripe decals for the last time. Dec 2015

image.thumb.png.0b9c978baf20620cf6f75fafe6371324.png

cool

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, awstott said:

Too bad he ripped if off busdrawings.com - why not just link to the original image???

I only found one picture of a U2 LRV on that website

Which is unit 2066 on the flat rail car heading to Edmonton

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, LRT said:

I would sooner operate a worn out U2 then brand new series 9….

As a passenger I would ride a U2 because there are more stuff like poles to hold on too ,  comfortable vinyl seats and Doors that open very fast. It's also easy to tell if the door is ready to open. I think U2s also look nicer and are quieter ( Only DC U2s are quiet ) The SDs and 9s are loud whining noises when speeding up and slowing down or just costing. The Rebuilt 5 / 6s SDs and 8s and S200 9s are hard plastic uncomfortable seats that creak all the time. The 9s have nothing to hold onto. The SDs rebuilt and 8s are better than the 9s and the un rebuilt 7s are better then both 9s and 8s and rebuilt 5/6s. But a Siemens U2 is way better (Best).

Do all Calgary U2s have LED lights?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Duewag U2 said:

Do all Calgary U2s have LED lights?

I believe most have LED lighting.

There was a component on the U2 cars called a rotary converter. The rotary converter step down the power source from 600 V down to 24 V (correct me if I’m wrong anyone)

The component became extremely expensive to repair so eventually most of the U2‘s got retrofitted with an updated solid-state static converter that did the same thing.

One of the drawbacks with the static converter came with low voltage alarms in the cab and the interior lights flickering on and off when going through an isolator.

I may be wrong on this but at around the same time the lights got retrofitted to LED lighting to maybe remedy the flickering light problem, but this of course happened at the same time when the rest of the cars in the fleet were being retrofitted to LED. 
 

I’m happy to see you have such an interest in this stuff. Your questions are awesome!

1 hour ago, Duewag U2 said:

I only found one picture of a U2 LRV on that website

Which is unit 2066 on the flat rail car heading to Edmonton

I took many pictures of 2066 getting to Edmonton. I was there when 2066 was driven to Haysbro from Anderson garage then towed from mainline to the siding. I was working that day and heard everything on the radio. 
 

If you search the forum you will find my pictures and the journey that car made to Edmonton. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/3/2022 at 7:21 PM, Duewag U2 said:

Which U2 car is in the best condition??????????????

My guess top 2003 , 2007 , 2015 , 2025 , 2030 , 2043 , 2046 , 2047 , 2051 , 2053 , 2056 , 2058 , 2060 , 2061 , 2062 , 2063 , 2070 , 2071  , 2073 , 2090 

From some of what I've read, "least awful" may be more apt than "best" condition.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...