CTrain - U2 cars Retirement Watch

LRT

11 hours ago, Blake M said:

So did I. Unpopular opinion but when all the windows are open I prefer a U2 to the SD160's cause the air conditioning on those isn't honestly that great

Living along the west leg of the LRT, I absolutely hate listening to a U2 at high speed inside the Westbrook tunnel, with the windows open.  I have a similar opinion in the Banff Trail tunnel.

8 hours ago, chills_on_the_train said:

Until the train comes to a stop for 7 minutes because someone misbehaved or OD'd at City Hall for the 8th time that day.

Or you go through a tunnel.

Or it... y'know... breaks down.

My ears used to actually pop, going through the tunnels in the NW when i first started coming to Calgary as a kid (before i moved here permanently) - always in the U2's though, never really much in the SD160s, and 10 years later, i don't feel it at all anymore :P

As for City Hall... they could probably cut those... disturbances, down significantly, if there were more police checks and transit checks in between Franklin and Bridgeland. Just do it the same as current fare-evasion checks too - get the supervisors onboard at Franklin, and cycle through the cars until Bridgeland (4 stops, 4 cars), or until City Hall - when cops/inspectors get off, clean up City Hall, and then do another check on an outbound train.

Problem wouldn't disappear overnight... BUT at least it would be visible enough to show that somethings being done about it. 

8 hours ago, TechSpotlight said:

Living along the west leg of the LRT, I absolutely hate listening to a U2 at high speed inside the Westbrook tunnel, with the windows open.  I have a similar opinion in the Banff Trail tunnel.

Just noise though? Or do your ears also pop like mine used to, going through those tunnels and checking my surroundings to make sure that I haven't just hopped a turbojet? haha

2 minutes ago, armorand said:

Just noise though? Or do your ears also pop like mine used to, going through those tunnels and checking my surroundings to make sure that I haven't just hopped a turbojet? haha

It's mostly noise.  Often at times, operators go very fast through the Westbrook Tunnel, which makes it extremely ear piercing at times.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, M. Parsons said:

Were any Calgary cars ever fully assembled and tested/ shown off in Germany before being shipped over, like one of Edmonton's was?

I'm almost positive that all cars were assembled tested then disassembled and shipped.

To my understanding they were sent to Canada disassembled to save on duty and taxes.

I could be completely wrong with that assumption.

I'm going to start digging and reading some of my books now to find out.

There's a picture of an Edmonton car assembled and running in Germany floating around here somewhere on this board.

I also found a picture of 3001 or 3002 being assembled in Germany at the factory. Need to dig that up as well.

7 hours ago, LRT said:

There's a picture of an Edmonton car assembled and running in Germany floating around here somewhere on this board.

There's the image of the car in (presumably) Essen in full Edmonton Transit livery on the cover of a Siemens or Duewag promotional brochure. I'm actually curious if the car was actually painted when it was assembled in Germany, of if that was a retouched image. I can't say I've seen many photos of the cars coming in, but, certainly not one was a car that was painted.

I believe San Diego's cars came in assembled minus the trucks. Or maybe they just seemed assembled in my mind because they came painted with the base red.

I'm pretty sure that photograph of the Edmonton car in Germany might be "photoshopped" or equivalent.

Here's some pictures of the Edmonton cars in Edmonton during assembly and the Edmonton cars loaded on flat rail cars in Calgary on their way to Edmonton.

You can see that they were not painted with the Edmonton Transit livery. However the flying e and the temporary fleet numbers were applied in Germany. It even looks like they tried removing them at one point judging by the flying e seems to be damaged.

Judging by car 600 (1001??) Looking inside the cab this car looks pretty much assembled you can even see the little decal on the door that probably says keep door closed.

I'm wondering if this car was ready to go and may have been the test car. It's possible that they just needed to be put together the articulation, installing the bogeys, couplers, pantograph. Maybe the other cars were just shells? 

20190910_080352.jpg

20190910_080305.jpg

20190910_080331.jpg

And!

RIP 2002

Here's car 2002 in a promotional Siemens postcard.

Love the destination sign "85 Street"

Did they ever run with that sign in Revenue Service? As far as I know they never did this could be a test run as you can see the C train decal has not been applied yet.

Car 2002 was the first to arrive.

20190910_080147.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2019 at 10:07 AM, LRT said:

<snip>

Here's some pictures of the Edmonton cars in Edmonton during assembly and the Edmonton cars loaded on flat rail cars in Calgary on their way to Edmonton.

<big snip>

That was probably when Edmonton still ran out of Cromdale, before D. L. MacDonald opened. Edmonton cars couldn't run on Calgary track, so while at Anderson they used shop trucks. Once D.L. opened in late 1983, Edmonton could do their own assembly.