CTrain - U2 cars Retirement Watch

LRT

24 minutes ago, TimmyC62 said:

Quick question: how do they move CTrain cars on and off the transport car? Mobile cranes, forklifts, or do those red pillars have a device for lifting?

They have a portablehoist that picks the car up then they use a forklift to move the flatcar in place. I guess they also have a ramp that they never use too

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pantograf said:

The next 4 U2's on the chopping block are 2064 and 2080 that will join 2066 in Edmonton and 2077 and 2042 that will be scrapped here at OBMF.

I thought Edmonton was getting 4 cars.

For the money they paid, you couldn't buy a used bike so the biggest expense will be transport and disposal and I'm sure they were trying to keep that to a minimum. 3 is the number I have but as with everything else, the final number is subject to change.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Jon Calon said:

Any word what parts ETS will be using on these cars?

Jon

From what I understand once the car gets to Edmonton it will be towed back and taken apart right away cut up and sent for scrap. Probably brake components, cam controllers, pantagraph, traction motors, bogie frames.. ect 

On 6/29/2018 at 8:37 AM, LRT said:

From what I understand once the car gets to Edmonton it will be towed back and taken apart right away cut up and sent for scrap. Probably brake components, cam controllers, pantagraph, traction motors, bogie frames.. ect 

Anyone know which cars have had the rotary converters replaced in Calgary? Those are useless to Edmonton, but, if 2066 is one with the replacement auxiliary converter that would be useful!

The SIMATIC and master controller are probably useful as well. Hell, doors might even be useful. There was still a orange U2 door lurking around DLM.

Pantograph not so much. The refurbishment tender called for at a minimum that the pans to be modified, if not out right replaced, so that they used the same carbon inserts as the SD's. 

• 2 weeks later...