CTrain - U2 cars Retirement Watch

LRT

4 hours ago, GrumpyKev said:

I think 2083 will be one of the next ones. I saw it go by yesterday with a bunch of rust holes and duct tape near the middle joint.

I saw 2083 this week and thought that it had some very large rust holes in it for a train that's in service.

There's definitely some better ones than others. When I stop at 7th Ave and 4th St SE, it's always interesting to see how bad some of them actually look.

Okay hang on a second here.... I took a closer look on car 2077. it looks like to me that they're doing some corrosion repairs around the floor area where the doors attached. there is so much corrosion in this area they're definitely patching this car up I got a little bit more life in to it.

funny thing I was told by a service guy that these cars were toast

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, LRT said:

Okay hang on a second here.... I took a closer look on car 2077. it looks like to me that they're doing some corrosion repairs around the floor area where the doors attached. there is so much corrosion in this area they're definitely patching this car up I got a little bit more life in to it.

funny thing I was told by a service guy that these cars were toast

Which is why everything needs to be verified, look at the BS about air conditioning in the Edmonton thread...

1 hour ago, Benton Harper said:

Which is why everything needs to be verified, look at the BS about air conditioning in the Edmonton thread...

I gotta say thats pretty offside, given that LRT has arguably one of the best track records in providing accurate insider information in regards to LRT matters in Calgary. Quite bluntly, it’s a shot at all the insiders in Calgary, including myself, who go beyond the call of duty to poach information to post on this forum. I’ll certainly be thinking twice before i post any updates from my sources with posts like that going forward..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gsgeek540 said:

I gotta say thats pretty offside, given that LRT has arguably one of the best track records in providing accurate insider information in regards to LRT matters in Calgary. Quite bluntly, it’s a shot at all the insiders in Calgary, including myself, who go beyond the call of duty to poach information to post on this forum. I’ll certainly be thinking twice before i post any updates from my sources with posts like that going forward..

My comment was about the usual "service guy" "driver" intel that makes its way out as fact as LRT found out.

Not a shot at LRT and others at all, (sorry for offendinmg you) but maybe we're more gun shy in Edmonton, having a wealth of "stories" out there...

30 minutes ago, Benton Harper said:

My comment was about the usual "service guy" "driver" intel that makes its way out as fact as LRT found out.

Not a shot at LRT and others at all, (sorry for offendinmg you) but maybe we're more gun shy in Edmonton, having a wealth of "stories" out there...

By all means I'm not offended at all.

I should point out the "service guy" was one of the "service guys" (electro mechanic) that is actually decommissioning the vehicles.

The lane line up personnel also are aware that those cars are not to be put into service anytime soon. Can you imagine these guys building a consist with a decommissioned car in the middle of it?

That would be a sight to see!

17 hours ago, Benton Harper said:

I got some more news on car 2077.

They spent six days working on multiple door issues until yesterday when it was decided to scrap the car.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

• 2 months later...
On 5/30/2018 at 12:28 PM, BCT-3122-D800-10240 said:

No more U2 scrap cars left in the dirt at OBMF recently.

However, i noticed another U2 car on one of the tracks with parts missing but I cannot see what number it is. Can anyone else see the fleet number?  I suspect it is car #2066....

I wish I could help you out on that one but I'm in the south and don't go to garages until the weekend...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LRT said:

I was wondering about the "Edmonton Ctrains" ?

It'd be interesting to see whether C-Transit could sell entire U2 car consists to ETS, who could rebuild them the same way they did with their own to boost its fleet until they wear out.

1 hour ago, Transit geek said:

It'd be interesting to see whether C-Transit could sell entire U2 car consists to ETS, who could rebuild them the same way they did with their own to boost its fleet until they wear out.

Edmonton’s U2’s were rebuilt by Bombardier, not ETS.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Transit geek said:

I'm sure Thales would love the challenge of fitting CBTC into another fleet of cars that are in some ways quite different than the existing Edmonton cars.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Transit geek said:

Most of Calgary's U2s are beyond worn out. Bombardier inspected a couple of the U2 cars a few years back and were deemed too far gone and more price effective to purchase a replacement fleet.

3 hours ago, Transit geek said:

Last I heard ETS picked up 4 cars... things may of changed since then

• Like 1

Calgary Transit's ex2066 made its way from Anderson garage to Southland station under its own power then was towed to the CP Rail spur track. Edmonton Transit is loading the car as we speak on a flat car.

Pictures to come!