Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
M. Parsons

Moose Jaw Transit

45 posts in this topic

It's been several years since anyone posted in the Moose Jaw thread, so this will bump it up. I have never been to Moose Jaw (or Saskatchewan yet for that matter), but I just happened to be looking at Moose Jaw tonight on Google Maps for whatever reason and was suprised to notice purely by luck that a GM Old Look bus (at least as of the date stamp in August 2009) is parked in the middle of the city: https://www.google.ca/maps/@50.3903498,-105.5347375,3a,26.6y,289.84h,85.1t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sK21K0xfU49HHbAFad2HrGA!2e0!6m1!1e1. It looks like it's being used for tourist information. Anyone have any information about this oldie?

Peter and I found an old look #19 wayyy back in 2002. Wonder if it's the same one? I'd hazard a guess it probably is.

We actually got tipped off to a number of old buses around town. This trip was done by bus without a car, so, to reach #19 it involved us walking down the side of a country road from the closest bus stop.

http://barp.ca/bus/mjts/mjts19-2ol.JPG

If you'd like a street address try 836 Main street N. North side of road and dates to August 2009

A rather good use of her too, and I suspect it would the same one, how many would still be around

man I remember her in the junk yard years ago too

One question, would the BHA charter have missed her?

I have a few picture of this bus when I was in Moose Jaw back in April that I'll try to post tomorrow. I wonder why I didn't post my picture on here sooner...

One question, would the BHA charter have missed her?

Seems it did! I sure don't remember it and you don't seem to remember it! There was a lot of foaming over a CP steam engine that morning I do believe.

Apologies for the crap shots (best I could do from the back of a moving vehicle), but found ex Moose Jaw Transit #12, a 1958 GMC TGH-3102 "Old Look," in a yard Southwest of the city.

DSC07072.JPG

DSC07071.JPG

DSC07072.JPG

DSC07071.JPG

post-232-0-71126200-1433132333_thumb.jpg

post-232-0-71616500-1433132338_thumb.jpg

You mean you didn't make Martin or Andrew stop, and get out to check it out? I'm very disappointed! :P

Nice find, anyway!

There was a pissed off sounding pooch that was drawing attention to us...

Oh, I see. Best then to just move on. Nice catch though! You don't see old looks to often in Saskatchewan anymore...

That and it wasn't in a position where we could stop and shoot it... the only place to stop was on an active rail line, plus there were real live humans in the yard along with the dog :P

Martin already got my plate phoned into the cops once. I don't need to explain that one again to the police.....

1 person likes this

Martin already got my plate phoned into the cops once. I don't need to explain that one again to the police.....

LOL! :lol: That is too funny!

That and it wasn't in a position where we could stop and shoot it... the only place to stop was on an active rail line, plus there were real live humans in the yard along with the dog :P

These yards always seem to be in the best spots!

I did find a scrapyard in another part of Moose Jaw that has a T6H4523N and an old look in it. At least that place isn't as sketchy looking as the pics above of 12

Moose Jaw has received federal infrastructure funding like many municipalities across Canada and is electing to replace almost their entire fleet of 2008 Nova LFS and Eldorado EZ Rider buses. According to the report, the existing buses are in need of engine and transmission replacements in the near future (one has already had replacement engine, costed at $65,000 per bus in the report). As well the city feels that 30' buses are more suitable for the ridership demand at most times and will reduce operating costs, while still having some 40' buses for peak trips such as school dismissal.

The plan is to procure 4 30' buses and 2 40' buses to replace the existing fleet. Bus 17 (2008 Nova) is being kept as it recently received a new powertrain. The fleet will look as follows:

• 16 - 2016 Grande West Vicinity 30'
  • 17 - 2008 Nova LFS 40' (the only existing bus that is planned to be kept)
  • 4 new 30' buses
  • 2 new 40' buses

Being retired:

• 14, 15 (2008 Eldorado EZ Rider)
  • 18, 20, 24, 25 (2008 Nova Bus LFS)

From http://www.moosejaw.ca/wp-content/uploads/September-26_-2016-Executive-Committee-Agenda-Package-PUBLIC.pdf

1 person likes this

On 9/29/2016 at 6:35 AM, Millennium2002 said:

Retiring 8 year old NovaBuses already eh... That's new.

Im sure someone will buy them up and refurb them. Like Eastway, MTB, National refurb.

1 person likes this

Regina recently retired, just this month, two of their six EZ Riders. 705 was taken apart for parts, 703 was placed in the yard intact.. See my photos on the Regina Transit page.

Ever wondered what happened to Moose Jaw bus 21? It's an Orion 1 from 1987. It was sold to Regina in 2008, it was supposed to become #207, but RTS rejected it and sold it to Ackerman's, who then resold it to a Regina man who rents it out as a party bus. The photo on the left shows how it was earlier this year, since that time a rooftop air-con unit was added and the rear window covered with black vinyl. The right photo shows the same bus while still in service in Moose Jaw. Its clone, another Orion 1 in Moose Jaw colors, was spotted in a field on the east outskirts of Odessa, SK this summer, probably not running.

The Orion bus make is no more. The factory shut down permanently last year.

1277105_1145361378817010_5595938539252861801_o.jpg

10288756_704146442974165_497689492966263143_n.jpg

1 person likes this

On 10/22/2016 at 1:08 AM, Ralph Watzke said:

The Orion bus make is no more. The factory shut down permanently last year.

They closed in 2013

2 people like this