Moose Jaw Transit

M. Parsons

Peter and I found an old look #19 wayyy back in 2002. Wonder if it's the same one? I'd hazard a guess it probably is.

We actually got tipped off to a number of old buses around town. This trip was done by bus without a car, so, to reach #19 it involved us walking down the side of a country road from the closest bus stop.

http://barp.ca/bus/mjts/mjts19-2ol.JPG

• 8 months later...

Martin already got my plate phoned into the cops once. I don't need to explain that one again to the police.....

LOL! :lol: That is too funny!

That and it wasn't in a position where we could stop and shoot it... the only place to stop was on an active rail line, plus there were real live humans in the yard along with the dog :P

These yards always seem to be in the best spots!

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Moose Jaw has received federal infrastructure funding like many municipalities across Canada and is electing to replace almost their entire fleet of 2008 Nova LFS and Eldorado EZ Rider buses. According to the report, the existing buses are in need of engine and transmission replacements in the near future (one has already had replacement engine, costed at $65,000 per bus in the report). As well the city feels that 30' buses are more suitable for the ridership demand at most times and will reduce operating costs, while still having some 40' buses for peak trips such as school dismissal.

The plan is to procure 4 30' buses and 2 40' buses to replace the existing fleet. Bus 17 (2008 Nova) is being kept as it recently received a new powertrain. The fleet will look as follows:

• 16 - 2016 Grande West Vicinity 30'
  • 17 - 2008 Nova LFS 40' (the only existing bus that is planned to be kept)
  • 4 new 30' buses
  • 2 new 40' buses

Being retired:

• 14, 15 (2008 Eldorado EZ Rider)
  • 18, 20, 24, 25 (2008 Nova Bus LFS)

From http://www.moosejaw.ca/wp-content/uploads/September-26_-2016-Executive-Committee-Agenda-Package-PUBLIC.pdf

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Regina recently retired, just this month, two of their six EZ Riders. 705 was taken apart for parts, 703 was placed in the yard intact.. See my photos on the Regina Transit page.

Ever wondered what happened to Moose Jaw bus 21? It's an Orion 1 from 1987. It was sold to Regina in 2008, it was supposed to become #207, but RTS rejected it and sold it to Ackerman's, who then resold it to a Regina man who rents it out as a party bus. The photo on the left shows how it was earlier this year, since that time a rooftop air-con unit was added and the rear window covered with black vinyl. The right photo shows the same bus while still in service in Moose Jaw. Its clone, another Orion 1 in Moose Jaw colors, was spotted in a field on the east outskirts of Odessa, SK this summer, probably not running.

The Orion bus make is no more. The factory shut down permanently last year.

1277105_1145361378817010_5595938539252861801_o.jpg

10288756_704146442974165_497689492966263143_n.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Moose Jaw has ordered an additional 4 30' Vicinity buses.

In looking at past council minutes it looks like the original plan to purchase 4 30' buses and 2 40' buses has been modified to only purchase the 4 30' buses (Vicinity). Looks like 3/5 Nova LFS will be kept and the other 2 Nova LFS and the 2 Eldorados will be retired when the new Vicinity buses arrive.

"VANCOUVER, May 23, 2017 /CNW/Grande West Transportation Group Inc. (TSXV: BUS; OTC PINK: GWTNF) – ("Grande West" or the "Company"), a Canadian bus manufacturer of heavy-duty mid-sized transit buses for sale in Canada and the United States is pleased to announce new orders for nine (9) Vicinity buses for a combined order total of approximately $4.5 million.

Hamilton Street Railway ("HSR") has ordered five (5) compressed natural gas ("CNG") Vicinity buses. This is a first time order for HSR and will be delivered through our eastern Canadian service and sales partner City View in the first quarter of 2018. The City of Moose Jaw also ordered an additional four (4) Vicinity buses."

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

The Old Look #19 that used to be in a farmer's field was rescued and converted with very heavy modifications and  turned into a tourist info booth, made to look like a streetcar! Still has its rubber tires so no idea if it is operable or not. When I find a photo I will post it. Terry Boorman of Regina still owns the Orion #21 which he turned into a party bus.

• 2 months later...
On 4/25/2020 at 11:35 PM, Ralph Watzke said:

The Old Look #19 that used to be in a farmer's field was rescued and converted with very heavy modifications and  turned into a tourist info booth, made to look like a streetcar! Still has its rubber tires so no idea if it is operable or not. When I find a photo I will post it. Terry Boorman of Regina still owns the Orion #21 which he turned into a party bus.

Little Chicago Info Booth Officially Returns - DiscoverMooseJaw.com.html

14.jpg

Little Chicago Info Booth Officially Returns - DiscoverMooseJaw.com (1).html

12.jpg

15.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...