Moose Jaw Transit

M. Parsons

Not much out of Regina... more Classic's in the new paint scheme and one low floor....

Moose Jaw....

A... New Flyer... D35!!!!!!!!!!

#13, replacing T6H-4523N #13 :lol:

T6H-4523N's #11 and 14 are also retired, leaving only #10 in active service.

All 3 retired GM's are still on the property being used for parts.

#22, D40, was in service today.

#21 the 01.508 was also in service today.

All 3 Orion V's were spares today, with 23 coming out for a peak extra.

Over all fleet as been retudce from 9 to 7, back in 2002 or so we were told (Me and Peter McLaughlin were there in 2002 before this when they still had 9 buses in service). Peak book out is 5 buses for 4 routes (I believe)... 4 spares might have been a bit much!!!!

Pics, maybe tomorrow.

Edit: It is tomorrow now.... 12:31am.... Pics are up. I kind of meant tomorrow night, but I guess tomorrow morning works as well.... www.barp.ca

What a Sweet D35 it is. we took a 30 minute round trip ride on this unit. Series 50 Detroit Diesel (Retrofitted, especially since this bus is a 1988 model) and the Allison V731 transmission. Recordings have been done and will be posted when there is time.

IIRC, #10 is Ex-#26 and was rebuilt by Paling several years ago and originally built in 1976.

Not much out of Regina... more Classic's in the new paint scheme and one low floor....

Moose Jaw....

A... New Flyer... D35!!!!!!!!!!

#13, replacing T6H-4523N #13 :(

T6H-4523N's #11 and 14 are also retired, leaving only #10 in active service.

All 3 retired GM's are still on the property being used for parts.

#22, D40, was in service today.

#21 the 01.508 was also in service today.

All 3 Orion V's were spares today, with 23 coming out for a peak extra.

Over all fleet as been retudce from 9 to 7, back in 2002 or so we were told (Me and Peter McLaughlin were there in 2002 before this when they still had 9 buses in service). Peak book out is 5 buses for 4 routes (I believe)... 4 spares might have been a bit much!!!!

Piics, maybe tomorrow.

What a Sweet D35 it is. we took a 30 minute round trip ride on this unit. Series 50 Detroit Diesel (Retrofitted, especially since this bus is a 1988 model) and the Allison V731 transmission. Recordings have been done and will be posted when there is time.

IIRC, #10 is Ex-#26 and was rebuilt by Paling several years ago and originally built in 1976.

D35, would that be ex-AC Transit?

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
I believe one bus is spare. It takes 4 buses to operate non-peak service on 3 routes IIRC. And IIRC, it takes 2 more buses for peak service.

Yeah, I don't believe they had much in the way of school service. It's an odd little system to with how they run night service.

I don`t think the Flyer or the V`s will retire. they are going to need HF buses for Charter, Trainning, School Trippers, and rush hour service.

I don't think they do much charter service. Training.... why would you need high floors? And, it's not like they have training classes of 5-10 drivers. I'd be surprised if they had to hire more than 2 drivers per year.

Remember, this is a small transit system. Your assumptions about the service it operates are far off.

Their current fleet numbers 7, their new busses total 7, and that number includes rush hour service, and the youngest of the old fleet are not young either (10 years minimum), so I doubt you'll see them around, except perhaps for fire/police command rehab

Nice to see that there are alternatives, but unless OriOn can drop their prices on the VII (go to carbon steel frame perhaps), they are not going to be seen out west anytime soon, as tenders are generally for lowest prices OR fitting into exisiting fleet structure

Wait, so they are getting rid all of their HF? Wanting to understand more of this.

The carbon steel frame for the VII is an option, yes, but delivery time needs still needs to be improve.

• 1 month later...
Their current fleet numbers 7, their new busses total 7, and that number includes rush hour service, and the youngest of the old fleet are not young either (10 years minimum), so I doubt you'll see them around, except perhaps for fire/police command rehab

Update on Moose Jaw: Their new fleet is in service. The Eldorado National EZ-Rider II buses are numbered 14 and 15; the NovaBuses are 17, 18, 20, 24 and 25. The buses that ran until the low-floor units arrived are all parked in a line beside the garage and are out of service. They are: New Flyers 13 and 22, Orion I 21, Orion Vs 12, 19 and 23, and GMC New-look 10.

Andrew.

Noting that Moose Jaw and Regina are into joint orders now, and combined have no more than 125 busses, I really doubt NFI is very concerned, of course, that is what caused the problem inthe first place.

That being said, I was personally told by the NFI rep that NFI blew it with regards to Regina, and I agree, I was living there at the time. Maybe Regina will go back one day.

Nice to see that there are alternatives, but unless OriOn can drop their prices on the VII (go to carbon steel frame perhaps), they are not going to be seen out west anytime soon, as tenders are generally for lowest prices OR fitting into exisiting fleet structure

• 4 months later...
The high floor Flyer would be 22.

Intersting stuff!

Well, If they got #13, that bus is the New Flyer High Floor D35 unit that Moose Jaw picked up second hand within the last 4 to 5 years. Wow!

Hmm...

#12 - 1996 Orion V 05.501

#13 - 1988 New Flyer D35

#21 - 1987 Orion I 01.508

VERY Interesting IF that's what they got! A trip out to Regina and Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan MUST happen very soon!!!

Well, If they got #13, that bus is the New Flyer High Floor D35 unit that Moose Jaw picked up second hand within the last 4 to 5 years. Wow!

Hmm...

#12 - 1996 Orion V 05.501

#13 - 1988 New Flyer D35

#21 - 1987 Orion I 01.508

VERY Interesting IF that's what they got! A trip out to Regina and Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan MUST happen very soon!!!

Well, if you think about who's the current manager at Regina, it's not really surprising... :D

And now I want to go to SK too...

Moose Jaw have wipeout all of their HF buses, so this freed all their spare buses. Would this be the 2nd system in Canada to become all LF?

Well, if you think about who's the current manager at Regina, it's not really surprising... :D And now I want to go to SK too...

LOL! Never said I was surprised! I said it was VERY interesting! :-p And I am very happy about this!

Moose Jaw have wipeout all of their HF buses, so this freed all their spare buses. Would this be the 2nd system in Canada to become all LF?

Possibly? But quite a few BC Transit Small systems in British Columbia are fully Low Floor for several years.

Here's another pic, sorry but it is bad quality, but it shows 2 of the Moose Jaw busses.

WHOOOPS! correcting my error - so thanks Martin!.. Edit: The first looks like it is #12 which is a 1996 Orion V 05.501 and the second one is #13 which is a 1988 New Flyer D35 (Originally from Santa Cruz, California). Thanks so much for your photo as that helps very much! I guess if we could find out which Fishbowls came from Saskatoon, that would be great too!

VERY NICE!! The first one is #21 which is a 1987 Orion I 01.508

Ummm... the first one is an Orion V. Not only the the front lacking the roundish profile of the Orion I, but there's also black around the destination sign. :o

Sure hope that they do have #21 though!

That's... interesting... that they picked up the D35. Rare bus, although, probably in good shape. I would have thought that #22 would be in good shape as well. I believe in 2002 when we were there the bus was out for rebuild.

Ummm... the first one is an Orion V. Not only the the front lacking the roundish profile of the Orion I, but there's also black around the destination sign. ;)

Sure hope that they do have #21 though!

That's... interesting... that they picked up the D35. Rare bus, although, probably in good shape. I would have thought that #22 would be in good shape as well. I believe in 2002 when we were there the bus was out for rebuild.

WTH!! How in the world I did THAT!! I have NO idea! Thanks Martin...

• 5 years later...

It's been several years since anyone posted in the Moose Jaw thread, so this will bump it up. I have never been to Moose Jaw (or Saskatchewan yet for that matter), but I just happened to be looking at Moose Jaw tonight on Google Maps for whatever reason and was suprised to notice purely by luck that a GM Old Look bus (at least as of the date stamp in August 2009) is parked in the middle of the city: https://www.google.ca/maps/@50.3903498,-105.5347375,3a,26.6y,289.84h,85.1t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sK21K0xfU49HHbAFad2HrGA!2e0!6m1!1e1. It looks like it's being used for tourist information. Anyone have any information about this oldie?