Nassau Inter-County Express

septa105R5/seClip9

On 1/8/2021 at 9:55 PM, Rapidbus said:

They'll probably be around for probably another 2 years. I don't believe NICE has the resources currently to procure new buses

Is there any plans for more CNG artics? I don't see any for the next upcoming orders..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Brand new 2021 XN40 CNG #1980 was involved in an incident yesterday with several injured riders after a car cut the bus off and the B/O had to break hard to avoid an accident. No crash occurred, but a few people fell out of their seats. Bus was working the n25 line.  

On 2/27/2020 at 9:40 AM, Orion6025 said:

Wikipedia says 1999-2000

According to facebook, it appears that the numbers for the CNG Gilligs have changed, for NICE is surprisingly get 15 additional XN40s, #1985-1999! So the Gillig Advantage CNGs will most likely start at #2000 and end around #2164. So expect some more 2009 Orion VII NG CNGs to be retired over the next few weeks. 2 so far have been taken out of service (3 if you count #1804). 

On 4/3/2021 at 6:10 PM, Chris.A said:

According to facebook, it appears that the numbers for the CNG Gilligs have changed, for NICE is surprisingly get 15 additional XN40s, #1985-1999! So the Gillig Advantage CNGs will most likely start at #2000 and end around #2164. So expect some more 2009 Orion VII NG CNGs to be retired over the next few weeks. 2 so far have been taken out of service (3 if you count #1804). 

Did NICE ordering ZF Ecolife 2 Transmissions for their Gilligs yet including the diesel units 

7 hours ago, JAX Transit 2000 said:

Did NICE ordering ZF Ecolife 2 Transmissions for their Gilligs yet including the diesel units 

No, these are all CNG buses. They haven't had a new diesel order since 1995.

#1703 is retired out of Mitchell Field Depot. Bus is stripped for parts and almost ready for scrap.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, GojiMet86 said:

Photo courtesy of Steve Souza:

A new Gillig in California.

May be an image of road

I assume that's the pilot bus (#2000)? How are these buses being built already? They should be about a year away honestly, which leads to concerning implications. Also, are all the new XN40s here already?

On 4/4/2021 at 9:38 PM, JAX Transit 2000 said:

These buses will probably feature the new Allison transmissions. Haven't had a ZF equipped bus since those 1996 Orion V CNGs got retired by Long Island bus in 2009, having been killed off by the #1700s.

NICE is requesting bids for 6 electric buses.

https://www.nicebus.com/About-NICE/Procurement

HEAVY DUTY LOW-FLOOR 40 FOOT BATTERY ELECTRIC BUS PROCUREMENT
Project V-2073
Category: Bus Procurement
Organization: Transdev Services Inc. d/b/a NICE Bus
RFP Proposal Due Date: July 21, 2021 at 1:00 PM (ET)

REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS

Transdev Services, Inc. doing business as Nassau Inter-County Express Bus (NICE Bus) is soliciting Proposals from qualified and responsible firms (“Proposers”) to design, manufacture, and test and deliver six (6) Heavy Duty, Low Floor 40 Foot Battery Electric Buses for use in its Public Transportation System, including spare parts, tools and training. All vehicles shall be delivered per the specifications in the Request for Proposals V-2073.

Proposals will be accepted until 1:00 p.m. (ET), July 21, 2021. NICE Bus reserves the right to reject any and/or all proposals and shall be the sole purchasing entity for this solicitation.

Interested proposers should request, in writing, a copy of the RFP Documents from Mr. John French, Procurement at email: john.french@transdev.com and/or he may be contacted by phone at 516-296-4129.

Proposals must be received before the RFP due date and time by NICE Bus at 700 Commercial Avenue, Garden City, New York 11530. No Pre-Proposal Conference will be scheduled for this procurement.

Funding support for this project is provided through a financial grant from the Federal Transit Administration (FTA). In accordance with 49 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) Part 26, participation of Disadvantage Business Enterprises (DBE) in all aspects of this federally funded contract will be encouraged and supported.

Proposers are encouraged to utilize the services of minority and DBE-owned banks, and other financial institutions, when such institutions are available. Information about such institutions owned and controlled by economically and socially disadvantaged individuals can be requested from the Nassau County Office of Minority Affairs, at One West Street, Third Floor, Mineola, NY 11501 offices.

11 hours ago, Chris.A said:

. I'm surprised that Gillig is not being considered since they got that relatively large upcoming CNG order. I

Well what’s interesting about the rumor is that Gillig is not explicitly mentioned as excluded like BYD but they arent among the three that are explicitly mentioned as included. Given that it’s just a rumor I assume that it might just be a poor choice of wording by the enthusiast who started the rumor, or something got lost in translation (Ex. It started as “All but BYD can bid”, but someone along the way forgot that Gillig makes electrics and they only named Nova, NFI, Proterra as possible contenders...)

12 hours ago, Orion6025 said:

Well what’s interesting about the rumor is that Gillig is not explicitly mentioned as excluded like BYD but they arent among the three that are explicitly mentioned as included. Given that it’s just a rumor I assume that it might just be a poor choice of wording by the enthusiast who started the rumor, or something got lost in translation (Ex. It started as “All but BYD can bid”, but someone along the way forgot that Gillig makes electrics and they only named Nova, NFI, Proterra as possible contenders...)

So is NICE leasing these EV buses like the MTA or are these for keeps?

12 hours ago, Orion6025 said:

Also, is there any plans to expand the existing bus fleet/ system as a whole. NICE needs seriously need another bus depot with all the service they provide.

8 hours ago, Chris.A said:

So is NICE leasing these EV buses like the MTA or are these for keeps?

Well i haven’t seen any indication that it is a lease

8 hours ago, Chris.A said:

Also, is there any plans to expand the existing bus fleet/ system as a whole. NICE needs seriously need another bus depot with all the service they provide.

They released their wishlist with the pretty pictures and graphics a couple years ago now. I don’t think anything significant from it has been funded yet