Nassau Inter-County Express

septa105R5/seClip9

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/2/2021 at 10:16 PM, Rapidbus said:

Definitely. NICE bus has really stabilized from their dark days a couple of years ago

How long you think the Orion VII NG CNGs (not the 3Gs) will stick around? I know the newest ones are slowly turning 10 years old now.

On 1/5/2021 at 8:03 AM, Chris.A said:

How long you think the Orion VII NG CNGs (not the 3Gs) will stick around? I know the newest ones are slowly turning 10 years old now.

They'll probably be around for probably another 2 years. I don't believe NICE has the resources currently to procure new buses

13 hours ago, Rapidbus said:

They'll probably be around for probably another 2 years. I don't believe NICE has the resources currently to procure new buses

I've heard through the grapevine that Gillig will be the supplier for the next contract. It's too bad that NICE doesn't seem to be as transparent as the MTA.

On 1/9/2021 at 11:49 AM, GojiMet86 said:

I've heard through the grapevine that Gillig will be the supplier for the next contract. It's too bad that NICE doesn't seem to be as transparent as the MTA.

But we also know that more XN60 CNGs are coming in the near future.

On 1/9/2021 at 11:49 AM, GojiMet86 said:

So...apparently there's a brand new 2021 XN40 #1980 parked assigned at MF depot now. I guess these are the long awaited last set of XN40s #1980-1984. They were supposed to come with #1970-1979 back in late 2019, but I guess NICE decided to break them up...

1 hour ago, Orion6025 said:

model year is TBD but 1980 at the very least was built in late 2020 based on a photo sent to me a couple weeks back

It's most likely 2021 because #1970-1979 are all considered to be (by NICE and NFI atleast) 2020 models. I consider them 2019 buses, but it's neither here nor there. Is that the only unit so far?

17 hours ago, Orion6025 said:

model year is TBD but 1980 at the very least was built in late 2020 based on a photo sent to me a couple weeks back

Wonder if NICE (as well as the MTA) will temporarily remove their XN60 CNGs from service in light of what happened with #1020 earlier this morning?

• 3 weeks later...

Straight from TL:

https://www.nyctransitforums.com/topic/54773-nice-to-get-60-gillig-buses-to-replace-orions

Thank You. Yes I am the source. It is a multi-year contract with 60 buses on the first year. This contract will ultimately replace all of the Orion VII 3rd/Next Gen CNGs as well as the Orion VII EPA10 4th Generation CNGs.

Now all the talk about quality and what not and I am by far NO fan of GILLIG, BUT in the last 3-4 years since moving to the new Livermore Facility, the GILLIG product has strengthened and I'd bet my life on a GILLIG before an Xcelsior. GILLIG suffers from the same stigma like the Eldorado where their past haunts their present. The new ENC Axess is a bad ass bus after visiting the ENC manufacturing facility and seeing how they have changed their build process. Again, I'd bet my life on a Axess before an Xcelsior.

Addendum to my post above.

Option #1 has been taken, so it will be 80 buses in the first year instead of 60 leaving 2 options on the table, 40 and 45 buses respectively. NICE will have 6 years to exercise the 2 remaining options, but it's expected that the remaining two options will be exercised in 2022. This order will clear out all of the Orion VII Next Generation/Gen III CNGs, leaving the Orion VII EPA10/Gen IVs to be replaced at a later date.

At this time it is unknown what body style has been chosen, but my educated guess will be that it is the standard box style and not the BRT option but we will see.

15 hours ago, GojiMet86 said:

So is NICE done with New Flyer? What about the talk of getting more XN60 artics for artic route conversions? Making the n4, n6, n22, and others partially or all artic?

15 hours ago, GojiMet86 said:

Also, when are the first of these buses going to be delivered? In 2022 I presume?

Here's an official source confirming Gillig FWIW:

https://www.nicebus.com/About-NICE/Procurement

Invitation for Bid (IFB)
IFB No. V2022
Category: Bus Inspection Services
Organization: Transdev Services, Inc. d/b/a NICE Bus
Manufacturing Location: GILLIG LLC, 451 Discovery Drive, Livermore, CA 94551
IFB due Date and Time: 2/25/2021 at 10:00 A.M. ET 

Transdev Services, Inc. doing business as Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE Bus) is soliciting firm-fixed price bids from responsible firms for On-Site Bus Inspection Services at 451 Discovery Drive, Livermore, CA 94551. Contract term shall be six (6) years from date of award. The bus order shall be for 80 forty-foot CNG buses manufactured in 2021 with two (2) Options of 40 and 45 buses, respectively, that may be exercised in 2022 and/or in later years.  A contract shall be awarded to the lowest, responsive and responsible bidder and prices shall remain firm throughout the contract term. 

Sealed bids must be received before the IFB due date and time by NICE Bus at 700 Commercial Avenue, Garden City, New York 11530. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2021 at 11:40 PM, Orion6025 said:

Not sure if this is true or not, but some one on the forums reported that 2009 Orion VII NG CNG #1737 was transferred from MF depot to RVC depot and that this unit may possibly be retired. If so, this will make it the second MTA/NICE NG bus to have ever retired (after #1804, current status of #4560 along with #1737 is currently unknown). For now, #1737 is in storage.