Nassau Inter-County Express

septa105R5/seClip9

6 hours ago, Orion6025 said:

For the love of god be 60s... I’m not setting foot in another n22 or n24 until they put artics on those two, even off peak those two routes are absolute disasters. Forget getting on those buses after 179......

That said i imagine/hope most of those will be for expansion? There’s not much to retire after all?

If they have over 500,000 miles i think they can be retired.

This depends on a couple of factors. 1, it depends on how fast NICE bus wants to get rid of the Orion VII Next Generation CNGs. I heard years ago that NICE was not too fond of the final Orion V CNG batch ( the 2004 CNGs #1633-1699, now of course recently retired), yet it took them about 3 years to get rid of them completely (even up to this day, there is still a handful of these buses parked at RVC, awaiting scrapping at Garshow). 2, the consist breakdowns of these buses were bound to keep the mileage of these somewhat lower than say their Hybrid counterparts in the inner city. But at the same time, out of the 992 NG buses (852 hybrids+ 140 CNGs) that the MTA had ordered originally 8-10 years ago, #1700-1839 should have the most miles on them (outside of maybe the SI assigned hybrids #4245-4278, which are now heading out of that Borough as we speak). 3, the wear and tear of the powertrains of these buses from both, the breakdowns over the years due to NICE's shoestring budget and the punishing New York area streets. If they are too badly damaged, I can see some of them retiring sometime soon after 2020-2021 timeframe. The 23 buses are said to be replacement buses and I don't think MF can hold too many more buses. So either some 2009 NGs get retired or they go to RVC storage, that way, it kinda gives NICE a pool of extra buses (aka a reserve fleet).

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/10/2019 at 2:33 PM, Orion6025 said:

For the love of god be 60s... I’m not setting foot in another n22 or n24 until they put artics on those two, even off peak those two routes are absolute disasters. Forget getting on those buses after 179......

That said i imagine/hope most of those will be for expansion? There’s not much to retire after all?

With the recent announcement of new buses coming to NICE, I guess that also means that we won't be seeing electric trash in Nassau for the foreseeable future for this has been confirmed to be another CNG order of some sort.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think there's any buses in NICE's current fleet with 500,000 miles. Hell most of the 2004 Orion V CNGs didn't even get that far.

On 8/16/2019 at 4:51 AM, Chris.A said:

I don't think there's any buses in NICE's current fleet with 500,000 miles. Hell most of the 2004 Orion V CNGs didn't even get that far.

I guess that makes sense, especially once they stopped running the 2004s on weekends. Now that I think about a lot of their routes aren't exceptionally long.

On 8/18/2019 at 8:21 PM, Orion6025 said:

I guess that makes sense, especially once they stopped running the 2004s on weekends. Now that I think about a lot of their routes aren't exceptionally long.

IIRC those 2004 Orion Vs were on weekend service until around 2016 or so when the next batch of XN40s came in #1937-1964.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2019 at 8:21 PM, Orion6025 said:

Apparently, NICE is launching more service to Nassau Community College. The N16J will start to service the college in  September.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/17/2019 at 2:05 PM, Orion6025 said:

Haven’t heard anything

That's odd.

On 9/17/2019 at 2:05 PM, Orion6025 said:

Haven’t heard anything

How have the bus breakdowns been as of late? Ever since PinePowerLI stopped covering it, I never hear about it anymore. Have they improved?

• 2 weeks later...

2012 Orion VII EPA10 (3G) CNG #1841 is going to be out of service for the foreseeable future. It got into a major accident with a car that had ran a red light and ended up crashing into a building. There is some front end damage visible, but the full details are unknown at this time. It was working the n15 yesterday morning and there were some injured passengers. This unit will be out for the rest of the year at the very least. Reminds me of #1867's wreck 5 summers ago (2014). 

• 2 weeks later...

Do you know if the Orion V CNGs that were at RVC depot a few months ago have been scrapped yet?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

How's the breakdown situation going with NICE bus? Haven't heard much of it in a while....

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, GojiMet86 said:

In the Transit Photos & Videos FB group, someone posted a photo of 1971. That is a new XN40, and word is that there will be 15 of them, presumably numbered 1970-1984.

Damn already!? Are these new units in the newer blue scheme like the XN60s or in the Orange like everything else post-Orion V era? Also, if these are actually here so soon, that means that some of the 2008-2009 Orion VII NG CNGs may got to the RVC storage, since they can't retire these until late 2020-early 2021 at the earliest.

Just now, Chris.A said:

Damn already!? Are these new units in the newer blue scheme like the XN60s or in the Orange like everything else post-Orion V era? Also, if these are actually here so soon, that means that some of the 2008-2009 Orion VII NG CNGs may got to the RVC storage, since they can't retire these until late 2020-early 2021 at the earliest.

The usual orange. Think the blue might be reserved for more "special" buses (artics, smaller ones).

I think they are being used to replace the retired Orion V CNGs, not the VII.

11 minutes ago, GojiMet86 said:

The usual orange. Think the blue might be reserved for more "special" buses (artics, smaller ones).

I think they are being used to replace the retired Orion V CNGs, not the VII.

But the last 2004 Orion Vs left service months ago....

I wonder if they have wifi and outlets like their NYCTA counterparts

1 hour ago, Chris.A said:

But the last 2004 Orion Vs left service months ago....

I wonder if they have wifi and outlets like their NYCTA counterparts

They’re probably to increase the spare factor. With NICE losing a few 7s to accidents and the 4-5 5s retiring, the new XNs are likely just pulling NICE out of the shortage rut it’s in 

On 11/26/2019 at 5:04 PM, Orion6025 said:

They’re probably to increase the spare factor. With NICE losing a few 7s to accidents and the 4-5 5s retiring, the new XNs are likely just pulling NICE out of the shortage rut it’s in 

Besides #1804, what other Orion VIIs are OOS? I know 3G #1841 is now back in service as it was on the n6x on bustime (NICE version) the other day.