Nassau Inter-County Express

septa105R5/seClip9

On 4/3/2019 at 8:42 AM, I Alam said:

This tracker looks like the one used by Hudson Link I'm guessing it's because they're from Transdev.

Seems that NICE was doing some LIRR shuttle bus work alongside the NYCT Staten Island bus division. Two rarities in one. Several Provost X3-45s, atleast one MCI D4500CT and several NICE CNGs (either XN40s or Orion VII NG/3G CNGs or both) were out there due to an LIRR train hitting an MTA work service train on the Montauk branch.    

As of 6-1-2019, Rockville Centre depot still have about a dozen or so 2004 Orion V CNGs awaiting scrapping. I can only guess that NICE is using the depot to park older buses for storage and/or retirement and the 2009 Orion VII NG CNGs will be next in a year or 2 when new buses come in, in mass.

On 6/3/2019 at 6:12 PM, Chris.A said:

As of 6-1-2019, Rockville Centre depot still have about a dozen or so 2004 Orion V CNGs awaiting scrapping. I can only guess that NICE is using the depot to park older buses for storage and/or retirement and the 2009 Orion VII NG CNGs will be next in a year or 2 when new buses come in, in mass.

Are they parked outside? never mind

Update:

I went out to see for myself and there are 7-8 parked outside... Sad that this is basically it for the 5s but it was great to see them for a final time.

19 hours ago, Orion6025 said:

Update:

I went out to see for myself and there are 7-8 parked outside... Sad that this is basically it for the 5s but it was great to see them for a final time.

Well, atleast they went out better then the 6000s did (NYCT 1999 Orion V diesels). Did you see what units they were? Were they the same set that retired from MF depot recently or a different group?

11 hours ago, Chris.A said:

Well, atleast they went out better then the 6000s did (NYCT 1999 Orion V diesels). Did you see what units they were? Were they the same set that retired from MF depot recently or a different group?

I was only able to see the front two, 1648 and 1685. The rest were parked up real tight so you could see the outline of their faces but not the numbers.

1 hour ago, Orion6025 said:

I was only able to see the front two, 1648 and 1685. The rest were parked up real tight so you could see the outline of their faces but not the numbers.

#1648 and #1685? Those retired over 2 years ago right around the NICE service cuts. I truly wonder sometimes how the system would have been if those cuts did not occur. We probably be looking at another XN40 (or something else) order right about now.

1 hour ago, Chris.A said:

#1648 and #1685? Those retired over 2 years ago right around the NICE service cuts. I truly wonder sometimes how the system would have been if those cuts did not occur. We probably be looking at another XN40 (or something else) order right about now.

Yeah they XN40s would probably be rolling in right now. Most of those 2004s IIRC were retired just by the service cuts rather than new buses.

34 minutes ago, Orion6025 said:

Yeah they XN40s would probably be rolling in right now. Most of those 2004s IIRC were retired just by the service cuts rather than new buses.

As well as a depot closure. The XN60s killed off a few of the 5's, but it was really the cuts that all but wiped them out.

• Like 1

On 6/6/2019 at 10:25 PM, Orion6025 said:

Some other 2004 Orion 5 CNGs at RVC depot are #1650, and #1679 among others.

This is quite rare nowadays, but 2009 Orion VII NG CNG #1743 is working the n58 right now (Saturday 6/15/2019)! These have been regulated for weekday service until this past spring. Must be short on XN40s or EPA10s (or 2011 NGs).

Also, the n88 is officially up and running for the summer season. 

4 hours ago, Chris.A said:

This is quite rare nowadays, but 2009 Orion VII NG CNG #1743 is working the n58 right now (Saturday 6/15/2019)! 

Quite sad that this is rare now. NICE has really gone to the toilet in terms of interesting-ness.

4 hours ago, Chris.A said:

Also, the n88 is officially up and running for the summer season. 

Perhaps that’s what put 1758 on the road... Especially if NICE doesn’t have many school trippers (do they have any at all actually?)

————

On a completely unrelated note I got a question about Long Beach transit (NOT california, the LI one): do they have the phantoms still?

8 hours ago, Orion6025 said:

Quite sad that this is rare now. NICE has really gone to the toilet in terms of interesting-ness.

Perhaps that’s what put 1758 on the road... Especially if NICE doesn’t have many school trippers (do they have any at all actually?)

————

On a completely unrelated note I got a question about Long Beach transit (NOT california, the LI one): do they have the phantoms still?

I think they still do, but they don't have Sunday service, nor does the n33. #1758 was in service too?

• Thanks 1

On 6/15/2019 at 9:20 PM, Orion6025 said:

————

NICE bus is expanding the Elmont Flex service starting on the 23rd with more frequent trips and will be getting 5 new 28ft Cutaway still buses (non-CNG presumably) to accommodate up to 30 people. NICE is also planning on retiring the older Spirit of mobility buses they got back in 2016 (#2290-2297) and transferring them to their Able-ride service.  

11 hours ago, Orion6025 said:

Ew... Coulda gotten 30 ft Eldo axess CNGs but once again they gotta buy vans... Oh well guess elmont flexi ridership isn’t that good yet.

Maybe, but I don't see NICE getting heavy-duty 30 or 35ft buses. They are still too much like the MTA.

I have no idea if there's a Suffolk County Transit thread and since NICE is right next door, I thought it might be mildly appropriate to begin a small Suffolk side discussion here (So little happens over there anyway that I doubt it's worth creating a new topic for them).

ANYWAY, SCT is in the process of receiving 43 New Flyers (A mix of XDE35s and 40s. Unknown where the split is...). Numbers probably are running 7031-7073 with the XDE35s taking up the start of the order. 7031-7033, 7038, 7041 are in so far from what i've read. Last I heard, these are supposed to be retiring the 7100 series ARBOC cutaways which are absolute trash,. But with a subfleet of 2005 Phantoms and 2008 LF BRT HEVs (And 43 Xcels coming in to replace 40 ARBOCs), I imagine some Gilligs might get retired (Or really high mileage Orion 7s?)

29 minutes ago, Orion6025 said:

I have no idea if there's a Suffolk County Transit thread and since NICE is right next door, I thought it might be mildly appropriate to begin a small Suffolk side discussion here (So little happens over there anyway that I doubt it's worth creating a new topic for them).

ANYWAY, SCT is in the process of receiving 43 New Flyers (A mix of XDE35s and 40s. Unknown where the split is...). Numbers probably are running 7031-7073 with the XDE35s taking up the start of the order. 7031-7033, 7038, 7041 are in so far from what i've read. Last I heard, these are supposed to be retiring the 7100 series ARBOC cutaways which are absolute trash,. But with a subfleet of 2005 Phantoms and 2008 LF BRT HEVs (And 43 Xcels coming in to replace 40 ARBOCs), I imagine some Gilligs might get retired (Or really high mileage Orion 7s?)

SCT already retired about 4 or 5 NG Clean Diesels, so I don't think they'll be touching anymore of those. This is the 2019 batch of Hybrids right, not the ones from 2 years ago?

On 6/22/2019 at 9:23 PM, Orion6025 said:

Right

Going back to NICE bus news, 2009 Orion VII NG CNG #1735 had got into an accident involving 3 or 4 other vehicles while working the n22 line. Minor damage to the Orion 7 though. Man these Long Islanders can't drive for shit (still remember the 2011 MTA Long Island bus crash involving 2011 Orion VII NG CNG #1804, now retired. >:/).

On 6/5/2019 at 1:08 PM, Orion6025 said:

Update:

What lines you think could use artics in the future? I saw the n4/n4x, n20g/h, n22/n22l, and maybe the n31 and n32.

On 7/5/2019 at 1:41 PM, Orion6025 said:

With the way ridership has been slippingg only the n4/X, n6/X, n22/X, n24, maybe n20G

Somewhat big NICE bus news today. According to a news article from "The Island" apparently, NICE bus just got a $20 million dollar grant from the FTA for among other things, the purchase of up to 23 new CNG buses and 14 new Able-ride vans. It is unknown if these buses will be 40ft, 60ft artics, or both (since this is such a smaller order, I'd guess it'd be one or the other). These buses will be delivered by FY 2020-2021. Also a mystery is whether or not this will be another New Flyer contract based off the old 2014-2015 contract, a new one, or for another manufacturer altogether. Whatever the case, I guess some of the older Orion VII NG CNGs will be heading to RVC for storage soon (since they can't legally retire these for another 2-3 years).   

17 hours ago, Chris.A said:

23 new CNG buses and 14 new Able-ride vans. It is unknown if these buses will be 40ft, 60ft artics,

For the love of god be 60s... I’m not setting foot in another n22 or n24 until they put artics on those two, even off peak those two routes are absolute disasters. Forget getting on those buses after 179......

That said i imagine/hope most of those will be for expansion? There’s not much to retire after all?

17 hours ago, Chris.A said:

since they can't legally retire these for another 2-3 years).   

If they have over 500,000 miles i think they can be retired.