UB Stampede

edison

2 minutes ago, RailBus63 said:

My son went to UB - from what I've heard, many students are unhappy with the service.  Rude drivers, poor schedule-keeping leading to gaps and bunched buses, etc.  I believe you'd get some attention from your fellow students if you tried to take action to address this issue.

Regarding the use of 35-foot buses - weren't the old pusher buses that were used before the El Dorado's longer than 35 feet?  In any event, they could get 40-foot or even 60-foot buses and assign them strictly to the Stampede from Flint Loop to South and not even have to run them through the Ellicott complex if those tunnels are a concern.

If anything can be done to get UB in the spotlight it has to be big, with a lot of evidence too.

I honestly think 60ft buses can fit through Ellicott if they use the left tunnel when making the turn. However, this would be something that would have to be tested with a demonstrator first. 

1 hour ago, I Alam said:

If anything can be done to get UB in the spotlight it has to be big, with a lot of evidence too.

I honestly think 60ft buses can fit through Ellicott if they use the left tunnel when making the turn. However, this would be something that would have to be tested with a demonstrator first. 

They don't have to put them through the tunnel either. However 45ft coach buses do make it through there. The First Transit location would not be able to do maintenance on articulated buses though.

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, I Alam said:

Noticed for 3 days in a row they have a shuttle running on the Yellow Line. I wonder if there is a fleet shortage going on. 

No fleet shortage that I know of... They just had open house for student acceptance day on Sunday. They usually get most of the buses rolling for that. They used 22 of 28 buses that day for fixed route and open house. What time does the shuttle run- morning hours or evening?

Right, but both work under the direction of parking and transportation. I know in the past, the shuttles have covered express (which is now the yellow line) in the simmer time. And they did the weekend bus for summer 2015 and 2016. Students complained because there was no bike racks on the shuttles. Wonder if they would consider adding racks down the road.

I know they use some cutaways as a shuttle to relieve drivers during shift changes for downtown and the blue-line, and keep the same bus out there all day on those routes.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

The Stampede is struggling today because traffic is so bad. They seem to be running for the most part in large groups. On top of that after my bus passes Eggert they announce over the radio for all stops to use Bailey and Maple because of the delays up to Sheridan dr.

77877D55-55F9-41AC-9DA8-2FE3EC4EB31B.jpeg

CF6CC273-8F6D-45C4-AF1B-FEF4DAB86AA9.png

Just now, I Alam said:

The Stampede is struggling today because traffic is so bad. They seem to be running for the most part in large groups. On top of that after my bus passes Eggert they announce over the radio for all stops to use Bailey and Maple because of the delays up to Sheridan dr.

Traffic is bad everywhere in the area this morning.

The bus in from Alden was over ten minutes off schedule, due to icy conditions.  My ten minute drive to the stop this morning was over twenty minutes.

Best reminders for those in the area, is to bundle up and hope for the best!

Am sure they're trying their best, considering the conditions.

1 minute ago, map.man (Darrin) said:

Traffic is bad everywhere in the area this morning.

Am sure they're trying their best, considering the conditions.

Yeah I just wish we had the Defoe was announced before my bus go to to the trouble area a bus that left an hour after mine has now passed me. 

63E97041-7D0F-4F84-BDFA-F69EBFAD3565.png

4206FBBC-4C11-4610-B7A2-6B49BA993C10.png

2C0BB01E-BD5A-433F-97B3-067EB8324E3C.png

2 minutes ago, I Alam said:

Yeah I just wish we had the Defoe was announced before my bus go to to the trouble area a bus that left an hour after mine has now passed me.

I don't view it much as trouble, but more as a delay.

It may have been announced due to a recent incident.

Hope your professors cut some slack for late students today.

2 hours ago, map.man (Darrin) said:

I don't view it much as trouble, but more as a delay.

It may have been announced due to a recent incident.

Hope your professors cut some slack for late students today.

Nope not at all I missed a quiz today. The thing that annoyed me was the fact all the drivers (from the first wave) were on the radio were complaining about that area before we even left south campus. Then they only decided to enact a detour after my group of buses got stuck. By then it was too late. I feel bad for students how had 9am because the only buses that made it there before 9am left before 7:30am. I feel really bad for these drivers though who know how long it’ll be before they get a break. 

1 minute ago, I Alam said:

Nope not at all I missed a quiz and barely made it to my next class. The th g that annoyed me was the fact all the drivers (from the first wave) were on the radio were complaining about that area before we even left south campus. Then they only decided to enact a detour after my group of buses got stuck. By then it was too late. 

Drivers *should* be able (like the NFTA) to enact a reasonable change if necessary.

I can't recall how many times I've heard NFTA drivers getting stuck on the Thruway when they *could* have easily taken William Street straight into Downtown.

Had a driver get the chance to call it in and get the okay one time, and we lost a matter of TWO minutes.  Whoop, right?

4 hours ago, map.man (Darrin) said:

Drivers *should* be able (like the NFTA) to enact a reasonable change if necessary.

I can't recall how many times I've heard NFTA drivers getting stuck on the Thruway when they *could* have easily taken William Street straight into Downtown.

Had a driver get the chance to call it in and get the okay one time, and we lost a matter of TWO minutes.  Whoop, right?

This is why we need on location dispatchers. It’s hard to understand what’s going on from an office in a remote location.

3 hours ago, I Alam said:

This is why we need on location dispatchers. It’s hard to understand what’s going on from an office in a remote location.

Being a contracted service, sometimes the supervision has to get approval from UB Parking and Transportation, which delays a decision to detour buses. They try to do that as a last resort because of the stop on Grover Cleveland at Maynard. In the past they would have the Yellow Line buses sweep through there and have the regular North/South buses go a different way. Going south today was no better. Took over 20 minutes to get through Main and Bailey with the bottle neck at Grover Cleveland and Bailey.

• 1 month later...

I am excited to let you know that UB is hosting an zero-emissions electric bus company on campus on Monday and Tuesday 8-9 April to demo its product and test the bus on our routes. 

If you  are interested in seeing this new clean energy alternative to our conventional Stampede bus fleet, please take the opportunity to see it or ride in it at one of the following times.

Proterra Electric Bus UB Demonstration Schedule

Monday, April 8th

10:30am-12:00pm            Bus will be parked at Lee Loop for the UB Community to check it out

2:00pm-4:00pm                Bus will run quick trips from Lee Loop to White Road to Hadley Road to Rensch Road to JJ Audubon and back to Lee Loop

Tuesday, April 9th

9:00am-10:30am               Bus will be parked at Founder’s Plaza for the UB Community to check it out

11:00am-12:00pm            Bus will run a complete UB Stampede Route

2:00pm-4:00pm                Bus will run quick trips from Flint Loop to Augspurger Road to Coventry Loop to the Putnum Extension to Augspurger Road and back to Flint Loop

On 4/8/2019 at 12:53 PM, I Alam said:

The Proterra bus is on display today. Here's a small sample of what I got.

Did the bus make any trips? I was told they did not want to get the bus registered for passenger pick up so they opted out of having it to a run.

21 hours ago, edison said:

Did the bus make any trips? I was told they did not want to get the bus registered for passenger pick up so they opted out of having it to a run.

Passengers were able to ride but they were dropped off at the same location they were picked up. As for the full stampede run on Tuesday that canceled for passengers because they didn't want to register it. One of the demo trips on Monday did go through the Ellicott Tunnel and I do have a video of it, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to publish for other reasons. 

On 4/13/2019 at 3:32 PM, I Alam said:

Passengers were able to ride but they were dropped off at the same location they were picked up. As for the full stampede run on Tuesday that canceled for passengers because they didn't want to register it. One of the demo trips on Monday did go through the Ellicott Tunnel and I do have a video of it, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to publish for other reasons. 

Two other manufacturers (presumingly  BYD and New Flyer) are expected to be coming sometime this spring too.

Edited by edison

16 hours ago, Orion6025 said:

Friend of mine saw a BYD demo on the Interstate 80 in eastern PA today, it overshot Buffalo by a ton but that could be the bus heading up to y'all very soon...

update: it seems to be a K9S....

Passed it at the Buffalo Marriott off Millersport

DFDCF710-4E71-4DF6-8196-99171D11C75E.jpeg