Halifax (metro) Transit.

Ah. I see those things a lot by crosswalks, I always thought they were some sort of non-slip surface so you don't slide out into traffic or something :)

I am loving this terminal by the way guys. I can (and have) spent hours there just watching.

Our bus rapid transit in Winnipeg has it for either that, or so that nobody decides to use the curb as a bench. My shoes are worn out bad, so it's very effective :P

• 2 weeks later...

I don't see as to why hotels are so mad, though. They still have transit service, dont they? Winnipeg taxis complained when Route 20 got extended to the Airport, but the hotels actually praised it. Same with Calgary and Edmonton, IIRC.

Yes but the Airporter shuttle dropped off and picked people up right in front of the lobby doors. The Metro Transit airport route doesn't do door-to-door service, and some hotels (such as Cambridge Suites, mentioned in the article) are a couple of blocks' walk from a bus route.

let the lazy buggers walk!!

ever tried getting back to Dartmouth from the VIA Station with a 70lb suitcase & a 68lb massive backpack & being legally blind??? ( I was alone when i moved here, I had NEVER been here in HRM, & I am not able to read street signs or maps... hmmmmm.........

right.... didnt think so...

so if I have done it 2x, my husband did it for 7 years he lived here, (He was all the way in Sackville) give me a bloody good reason why these toursists cant do it with a good map ( FREE MT ones are AMAZING!) & some brains...

ever tried getting back to Dartmouth from the VIA Station with a 70lb suitcase & a 68lb massive backpack & being legally blind??? ( I was alone when i moved here, I had NEVER been here in HRM, & I am not able to read street signs or maps... hmmmmm.........

right.... didnt think so...

so if I have done it 2x, my husband did it for 7 years he lived here, (He was all the way in Sackville) give me a bloody good reason why these toursists cant do it with a good map ( FREE MT ones are AMAZING!) & some brains...

I'm afraid you've misunderstood me. I was not attempting to paint anybody as being lazy, residents or visitors. The objections to the loss of the Airporter are being voiced by the hotel managers. They are the ones who seem to believe it will hurt their business if they don't have direct service fromt the airport to their front doors.

Does the MetroX have transfers to regular service?

Yep, definitely

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the statement from a legitimate, legally blind disabled person.

'nuff said.

You post in the toronto section, so I reckon Halifax is fair game from over here.

The bus transfers aren't exactly door-to-door, but it's better than making everybody walk a few kilometres to their hotels. If not that, why not take the bus, then take an obviously-cheaper taxi? If the person is disabled (aka, in a wheelchair), I'd probably agree that there should be door-to-door service but not from the Airport to the city. Why not have the company offer door-to-door inside Halifax/Dartmouth, ‚Äčreduce the travel times, increase frequency and have a nice little profit?

And I'm not going to get involved in this argument BTW, so any replies to this post should revolve around this topic...

Nice to see Metro Transit getting some extra use out of the D30LFs

Once upon a time when the Community Transit service was run as a separate entity, when the buses finished up for the day they went back to the garage.

Tonight I happened to be at Portland Hills to see 507 pull in shortly before 9:30, having just come back in from Porters Lake on the last run of the evening, then left the terminal out of service, back to the garage I figured. A while later I was at the Bridge terminal (looks amazing at night by the way) and noticed 507 there laying over, then went into service as the 55 Port Wallace leaving at 10:25.

Now I guess they could have just been using 507 to change off another bus, or it could actually be part of that block, finish up with a trip on the 55 after coming back in from the route 401 all day. If so that would make for one hell of a lengthy layover...

Once upon a time when the Community Transit service was run as a separate entity, when the buses finished up for the day they went back to the garage.

Tonight I happened to be at Portland Hills to see 507 pull in shortly before 9:30, having just come back in from Porters Lake on the last run of the evening, then left the terminal out of service, back to the garage I figured. A while later I was at the Bridge terminal (looks amazing at night by the way) and noticed 507 there laying over, then went into service as the 55 Port Wallace leaving at 10:25.

Now I guess they could have just been using 507 to change off another bus, or it could actually be part of that block, finish up with a trip on the 55 after coming back in from the route 401 all day. If so that would make for one hell of a lengthy layover...

Its part of that shift, So unless they put a 40ft out there ( has happend I think twice in the last month) a D30LF will be that 10:25 55 mon-Fri

Yes but the Airporter shuttle dropped off and picked people up right in front of the lobby doors. The Metro Transit airport route doesn't do door-to-door service, and some hotels (such as Cambridge Suites, mentioned in the article) are a couple of blocks' walk from a bus route.

I was surprised there wasn't more of a reaction when the same thing happened in Vancouver in 2009. With the opening of the Canada Line rail link between the airport and downtown, the Airporter bus that used to provide service between the downtown hotels and the airport was discontinued. I remember thinking at the time that perhaps it would have made sense to just cut back the Airporter to downtown and make it a shuttle between hotels and the Canada Line, but no, the Airporter died quietly and not a peep from the hotels.

Mind you, the service had already been cut back quite significantly a few years before the Canada Line began operation. They used to run the big bus to only a few major hotels and then run a smaller feeder bus to others, but that service was cut and the big bus ran to a few more hotels. Passengers used to complain about having to transfer, so I guess that service wasn't heavily used.

Its part of that shift, So unless they put a 40ft out there ( has happend I think twice in the last month) a D30LF will be that 10:25 55 mon-Fri

Good to know, thanks! Quite a long layover though isn't it? They finish up at Portland Hills just before 9:30, and leave the Bridge at 10:55, so unless there's some other work in there that's a good hour layover. At least now there are adequate facilities for the drivers at the Bridge!

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the statement from a legitimate, legally blind disabled person.

'nuff said.

You post in the toronto section, so I reckon Halifax is fair game from over here.

Welcome to my new home Bus_Medic!!

your more than welcome to come play in our waters of the Atlantic!!

you have 9 models of bus to choose from...

I'm afraid you've misunderstood me. I was not attempting to paint anybody as being lazy, residents or visitors. The objections to the loss of the Airporter are being voiced by the hotel managers. They are the ones who seem to believe it will hurt their business if they don't have direct service fromt the airport to their front doors.

Yep, definitely

Sorry HFX!

yeah, I cant stand whining buisness owners that just dont care bout anyone else but their bank accounts..

they've been using them every so often on the 54 too! havent had a chance yet to really 'tactile them' so not sure what the exact layout is yet! my fingers have been itching to do it!

Remarkably similar to a D40LF, only smaller. No rear door. Immediately behind the front wheel wells are a set of two sideways facing seats on each side, behind those are a single row of forward facing seats on each side, then the step up to the rear section which is identical to a D40LF: two rows of forward facing seats, a set of two side facing seats on each side, and the last row of five forward facing seats.

Remarkably similar to a D40LF, only smaller. No rear door. Immediately behind the front wheel wells are a set of two sideways facing seats on each side, behind those are a single row of forward facing seats on each side, then the step up to the rear section which is identical to a D40LF: two rows of forward facing seats, a set of two side facing seats on each side, and the last row of five forward facing seats.

Boy, does that sound familiar to our D30LFs. :P why haven't they fixed the wheelchair ramp?

Cant see them on the 54 the wheel chair ramp hasnt worked on either of them for at least 5 years.

does the 55 do the same routing between MMM & Tacoma?

thats where it was spotted, was between there & Tacoma, it was a close friend in her car she took a pick with her camera phone, messaged it to me, but i have no way of getting it on here, as BB has no internet..

its definitely a short bus, as it didnt have 3 windows between front & rear doors on door side, it looked to be a flyer from the shape & the 54 had broken down that day too, around 18:30ish down at the Alderny, with the bus not restarting, (yes, there are a few 54 drivers that shut off the bus at the bottom)

54 is getting on my nerves!

so have been walking out to the 10, but last week, i got hit at main & calidonia..... so not sure if going to try that stunt for a while..

Thank you... Btw I'm starting fresh. No more spam posts. (Well I guess this is a spam post so after this post no more spam posts)

[spam/rant]

I wouldn't be coming back if people wern't begging me to come back on msn. Trust me I would rather be in my own little world making paperbuses. People got tired of posting snipits for me.

[/spam/rant]

I'm Very glad to see you come back, its been a long one without ya!

the 40ft MCI's run on these routes from my observations since moving here near the end of june...

(( yes, i have my little book going again! ))

10, 20, 31?, 41, 61, 80, 87 ( seen once).. possibly on some school specials, but since I only use regular & MX routes, I dont see them!

since I'm out in the east end of Dartmouth, I dont see too many out here except for the 10..

60'ft MCI's have been seen on the following..

The 55 doesn't service Tacoma, it leaves Mic Mac and takes the exit for the Waverley Road. Doesn't go down Main Street at all.

People around here drive like dicks.. Hopefully that guy gets what he deserves.

ok TY, so it must've done a single trip on the spare 54 that night it was seen..

The regular 54 is mandated to be ONLY D40LF's, we have several wheelchair users on this route, even more in the summer, & a few people trying out the bus, to see if they can do regular instead of fully relying on A.A.B! (Yes I have spoken with a few people..