Kit Kat

Halifax (metro) Transit.

992 posts in this topic

So, I understand why the Halifax III and Dartmouth III weren't repainted in the new livery, as their days are somewhat numbered (although that hasn't stopped them in the past *cough* 512) but does anyone know why the Woodside I is still just plain white? It's been like that for probably close to a year, and as far as I was aware it's still got a few years left. 

I was just watching it come across the harbour, and it looks really.. plain. 

On 2016-07-04 at 3:14 PM, hfx_chris said:

So, I understand why the Halifax III and Dartmouth III weren't repainted in the new livery, as their days are somewhat numbered (although that hasn't stopped them in the past *cough* 512) but does anyone know why the Woodside I is still just plain white? It's been like that for probably close to a year, and as far as I was aware it's still got a few years left. 

I was just watching it come across the harbour, and it looks really.. plain. 

Not only is Dartmouth III's days numbered, they may be over for good once Viola Desmond goes in service (Monday?), as they didn't bother doing any touch up work on it all winter - it's the saddest sight of the three old ones. They might keep Halifax III for a bit just to have a spare boat on hand for when the others need maintenance, if I had to guess. As for Woodside I, they'll probably wait until the next time they pull it for servicing to repaint it, if at all.

On 2016-07-08 at 3:00 AM, brzyski said:

2 weeks ago I saw (at least) 3 of them on the 41. Don't know if they are still active now.

967: https://flic.kr/p/JN2dAP

968: https://flic.kr/p/J9PaqW

970: https://flic.kr/p/HYxcLy

They were as of yesterday. They're pretty much only seen on the 41/42 shift these days - even seeing one on an Urban Express route in Halifax has become a rarity. Other than the three mentioned, I have seen 978, 983, and 985 on the 41/42 as well.

Route and Schedule Adjustments - As of August 22nd, 2016:

Mackay Shuttle - Service to run during weekend bridge closures. First trips depart Bridge/Scotia Square at 5:30am, then every 15 minutes to 1:15am.

Macdonald Shuttle - Service to run if bridge remains open on weekends (same times as above).

Route 20 - Now provides ALF service.

Route 330 - Additional AM Peak trip departing Tantallon Park and Ride at 7:40am, arriving at Albemarle St. at 8:21am. Additional PM Peak trip departing Albemarle St. at 4:37pm, arriving at Tantallon Park and Ride at 5:22pm.

The change to the shuttles irks me, if only because, when I work Saturdays, I usually would either take the detoured 52, or take anything else to Halifax, then get off at the bottom of North St. (which they were allowed to do). I'm not too happy about being forced to go all the way to Scotia Square, just to get to North St. Understandable since the bridge should be closed every weekend for the rest of the year, but I don't have to be happy about it.

Edited by Bud8Amp88
Added Route 330 trip additions

Pretty sure that Dartmouth III is retired. It's been docked at the Dartmouth Coast Guard base (between Alderney and Woodside Terminals) since Viola Desmond came into service. Halifax III is being kept as a spare unit for now, and they do rotate it in and out of service every few days.

Halifax Transit received a good amount of money from the Federal Government's Public Transit Improvement Fund:

http://www.halifax.ca/council/agendasc/documents/160920ca1435.pdf

As as result, instead of receiving 30 new LFS buses later this year, we will be receiving 59.  That makes it the largest single order of buses in Halifax in almost 50 years.  This will allow for the retirement of all Classics, 1999-2000 LFS buses, the D30LFs, and the Glaval Titans.  Exciting times!

2017/18 Electric Bus Pilot Project

Anyone know anything about this? 

16 hours ago, Halifax_Route10 said:

Halifax Transit received a good amount of money from the Federal Government's Public Transit Improvement Fund:

http://www.halifax.ca/council/agendasc/documents/160920ca1435.pdf

As as result, instead of receiving 30 new LFS buses later this year, we will be receiving 59.  That makes it the largest single order of buses in Halifax in almost 50 years.  This will allow for the retirement of all Classics, 1999-2000 LFS buses, the D30LFs, and the Glaval Titans.  Exciting times!

59 new buses by New Year's, the replacement of both Halifax III AND Woodside I in the next two years (in lieu of biennial refits), a million dollar upgrade to the Halifax Ferry Terminal, a combined million dollars in bus stop accessibility, shelter replacement, and priority measure implementation (this year alone), not to mention post-Big Lift fleet expansion, more TPMs, beginning to look at electric buses, massive security upgrades, and other goodies next year? Damn, we hit the jackpot - thanks, Mr. Trudeau!

(Still would have preferred more Xcelsiors over Novas, but that's just personal preference, yo!)

15 hours ago, hfx_chris said:

Will be interesting to see how this pans out. Will it mark the beginning of a transition to an all-electric fleet over the coming decade, or will we just end up with a couple of random electric buses in an otherwise all-diesel fleet, like we did with a certain couple hybrids (looking at you two, 715 and 716...)

20 hours ago, hfx_chris said:

Here's a PDF with descriptions of all the individual funded projects:

http://www.halifax.ca/council/agendasc/documents/160621ca14113.pdf

Doesn't specify a particular manufacturer, only mentions that there are "potential partnership opportunities" related to the project.

Route, Schedule, and Rider's Guide Adjustments - Effective November 28th, 2016:

Mackay/Macdonald Bridge Shuttle: Service reduced to Sunday to Thursday only.

Route 1: Service between Bridge and Scotia Square reinstated 7pm Friday to 7pm Sunday.

Route 10: Service between Bridge and Scotia Square reinstated 7pm Friday to 7pm Sunday.

Route 14/61: Service between Bridge and Scotia Square reinstated 7pm Friday to 7pm Sunday.

Route 15: Departure Line stop # change @ Mumford Terminal (new number 8641).

Route 19: Route start/end point changed to "Greystone before Cobalt Walk" (Stop # 6798) in Rider's Guide.

Route 20: References to "Greystone (Turning Loop)" changed to "Greystone before Cobalt Walk" (Stop #6798) in Rider's Guide.

Route 21: Departure Line stop # change @ Lacewood Terminal (Lacewood/Halifax bound only - new number 9109).

Route 23: Departure Line stop # change @ Greenwood Heights (Mumford-bound only - new number 6624). Mumford-bound time point at "Hwy. 3 and Lakelands" changed to "St. Margaret's Bay & Lake Lands Park" in Rider's Guide - departs this point 2 minutes later on all trips.

Route 32: "Dentith Rd. and South Centre Mall" time point changed to "Dentith and Herring Cove" in Rider's Guide.

Routes 33/34: Departure Line stop # change @ Lacewood Terminal (Lacewood/Halifax bound only - new number 9113).

Route 35: Lacewood-bound time point @ MSVU removed from Rider's Guide.

Route 51: Time point at "Princess Margaret & Windmill" changed to "Windmill and Waddell. - Burnside-bound stop # change (new number 8511).

Route 52: Service across Macdonald Bridge reinstated 7pm Friday to 7pm Sunday.

Route 54: Route start/end point changed to "Breeze and Appian Way" - new stop # 6460.

Route 56: Departure Line stop # change @ Penhorn Mall (Dartmouth Crossing bound - new number 8941).

Route 57: Departure Line stop # change @ Penhorn Mall (Woodside bound - new number 8941).

Route 60: All weekday trips to depart Woodside Ferry Terminal 1 minute earlier (both directions).

Route 66: Departure Line stop # change at Brownlow/Eileen Stubbs (new number 6326).

Route 79: Departure Line stop # change at Portland Hills Terminal (Cole Harbour bound - new number 8957).

Route 80: Departure Line stop # change at Cobequid Terminal (Halifax bound - new number 6297).

Route 87: Departure Line stop # change at Cobequid Terminal (Bridge bound - new number 6297). Fixed typo where the 10:13 to 12:43 departures from Windmill/Wright were incorrectly listed as one hour later.

Route 88: Departure Line stop # change at Cobequid Terminal (new number 6297).

Route 89: Departure Line stop # change at Cobequid Terminal (new number 6297). Time point at "Innovation and Hammonds Plains" changed to "Innovation and Angus Morton".

Route 320: Service between Bridge and Albemarle reinstated 7pm Friday to 7pm Sunday.

Route 330: Departure Line stop # change @ Sheldrake Lake (Tantallon bound - new number 7618).

Route 370: Departure Line stop # change @ Bridge Terminal (Porters Lake bound - new number 7609).

Route 401: One-way trip times increased. Departures adjusted to compensate - some trips will now depart substantially earlier or later than usual, so check your schedules.

Route 402: "Dentith Rd. and South Centre Mall" time point changed to "Dentith and Herring Cove" in Rider's Guide.

Guess the all-weekend shuttle experiment didn't work...or they're preemptively pulling the shuttles so they're not running in January/February when they won't be needed anymore... Still not much for actual schedule changes, outside the timing changes to the 401, but there's still February, and they planned on re-routing the 56 to the Bridge Terminal this year, so we can start counting down to that, I guess.