Halifax (metro) Transit.

Guest M. Boone

• 2 weeks later...
On 2006-10-14 at 7:51 PM, MaT said:

I have a question about Metro Transit. I know they have the 6 fishbowls, 3 D-30LFs and 14 classic artics. How much of the classics(regular), novas, and D40LFs do they have now? I can't find any *up to date* rosters for them. Last I heard for the D40LFs it was around 70.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

2017/2018 Service Plan is out:

http://halifax.ca/transit/_assets/documents/2017-18AnnualServicePlan.pdf

No ridership numbers for now, as they're changing their reporting processes and such.

Planned Route/Schedule Changes - 2017/18:

Route 6: Discontinued (Service area covered by NEW Route 9 + Route 22)

Route 9 (Barrington): Replaced by NEW Route 29. Increased service, especially on weekends. Service added to Bayers Rd. Centre and removed from lower parking lot at Point Pleasant Park (all trips end at Tower Rd. Turning Loop). Will service Water St. Terminal via Hollis and Lower Water St.

Routes 19/20: Replaced by NEW Corridor Route 9A (Greystone) and 9B (Herring Cove). Combined 10-15 min peak headway, 15-20 min off-peak, 30 min weekend/holiday. Current routing to be used, with shift in frequency (more trips between Greystone Dr. and Downtown, less between Greystone Dr. and Lancaster). No peak trips to Dockyard.

Route 22: Service discontinued to Exhibition Park.

NEW Route 194 - West Bedford Express: This new route will service Gary Martin Drive, Hammonds Plains Road, Innovation Drive, Broad Street, and Larry Uteck Boulevard West, with limited stops to downtown, ending at Summer Street at Bell Road

Route 330:  One additional AM and PM peak trip to and from Tantallon.

Route 370 (Change Effective May 29th): Two new stops added on Main Street (Main near Major/Gordon. and Main near the Black Cultural Centre). Also, service to/from Micmac Terminal as part of a six month pilot program.

Route 402: Discontinued (Low Ridership).

Alderney Ferry: To be reduced back to pre-Big Lift levels of service upon completion of the project. (Didn't city counsel agree to keep the increased service for six months to see if ridership stayed as high as it currently is? Or did they vote that down?)

In addition, if funding allows for additional changes to be made, then expect to see Route 86 converted into its Express Route version (Route 186, with increased service), and/or the introduction of Route 192 Southgate Express and/or Route 196 Larry Uteck Express.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder what happened to the guy in the wheelchair that says Halifax buses are unsafe for him? He holds up buses and causes a stink everywhere he goes, I was unlucky in encountering him 3 times holding up buses. 

On ‎01‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 7:41 PM, Bessarion said:

I wonder what happened to the guy in the wheelchair that says Halifax buses are unsafe for him? He holds up buses and causes a stink everywhere he goes, I was unlucky in encountering him 3 times holding up buses. 

I believe he ventured out to BC and/or Northern AB by car, discovered that welfare wasn't interested in picking up his tab and ended up in Quebec where he's complaining about the entire system (welfare, social housing) being against him. I suppose he might get some help if he wasn't so quick to yell at people and make accusations. Halifax Transit drivers must be enjoying the change of work environment, while Quebec civil servants are probably popping Tylenol like candy when he shows up in their offices.

Update: He's in Montreal and up to the same crap: 

Edited by jc.theriault
added youtube link

Anyone want to buy 1020? 

http://www.auctionad.ca/auctions/2017/06/governmet-and-etc-auction/

Click the link for detailed listing. 

Lot 134: 1 (One) 2002 NEW FLYER BUS, 36 PASSENGERS, ACCESS RAMP, 
VIN: 2FYD2LP1A2U024569 RUNS, BIKE RACK, WHITE, 1073 HRS, ENGINE/TRANSMISSION/FRAME REBUILT WITHIN THE LAST 3 YEARS, DIESEL, STOCK 1020 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The charter bus operator I'm working for in Nova Scotia needed to replace some bumpers on his Prevost coaches and after some research I discovered the rear bumper from a New Flyer D40LF will bolt right in place once the old steel mounting plate is removed on the Prevosts. While designed as a front bumper, flip it upside down and it's a back bumper assembly as supplied by Prevost, the same was done on MCI & Nova Bus Classics.

So the rear bumpers from 1018 & 1019 will live on as the replacements after we removed them over the past few days at the scrapyard. I also got the safety triangle kit out of 1019 for my own vehicle. The scrapyard is operating a new shredder so the GM cutaways and D40LFs towed in are reduced to tiny pieces within a day of arrival. They aren't salvaging anything once towed in... engines and all end up in the grinder once the grapple hook rips them into smaller pieces for the shredder.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-05-06 at 2:45 AM, Reginald Dantiste said:

Hi there! Sadly all of our first gen novas and NovaBus classics have retired this year, and now we are retiring 2002 D40LFs. We also bought 69 nova LFS. We have 30 more new novas coming this year.

On 2017-06-01 at 7:41 PM, Bessarion said:

I think hes homeless inlime Montreal. Our buses are 100% wheelchair safe

On 2006-08-27 at 11:58 PM, 2822 said:

Does anyone know how many Classics artics and d30lf`s Halifax transit has?

Thanks,

Brian

Sadly none 

• 2 weeks later...

Route and Schedule Adjustments - Effective August 21st, 2017:

(NEW) Route 194 - West Bedford Express - Four weekday AM (inbound) and PM (Outbound) trips between West Bedford / Larry Uteck (west of Hwy. 102) and downtown Halifax. Map Schedule

Route 330 - Last current AM trip to depart Tantallon at 8:00am (5 minutes earlier). Additional AM trip to depart Tantallon at 8:10am. No changes to PM trips from Halifax.

Route 402 - Service discontinued (low ridership)

School Specials - Service discontinued (low ridership / duplication by other routes)

It is also noted that departure times at North/Brunswick eastbound may change for multiple routes.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Halifax Transit foot ferries seem inefficient compared to TransLink SeaBus because they sometimes need to spin around, take double the time to load, and unload. 

36585579694_fe6a19f911_c.jpg

Woodside I by Blue Bus Fan, on Flickr

36585580254_b35d8f55cb_c.jpg

Halifax III by Blue Bus Fan, on Flickr

36585580954_159ea72c3b_c.jpg

Halifax III by Blue Bus Fan, on Flickr

36585581774_dc1aa608fe_c.jpg

Christopher Stannix by Blue Bus Fan, on Flickr

36585582404_812b912e69_c.jpg

36585586854_ea78baa4dd_c.jpg

36585589274_cc692ce342_c.jpg

Craig Blake by Blue Bus Fan, on Flickr

36585590704_48bc8cb492_c.jpg

Craig Blake and Viola Desmond by Blue Bus Fan, on Flickr

• Like 3

On 9/27/2017 at 1:56 AM, Blue Bus Fan said:

Halifax Transit foot ferries seem inefficient compared to TransLink SeaBus because they sometimes need to spin around, take double the time to load, and unload.

(Shrugs) The system we have's worked pretty well for the past 38 years. Spinning around happens very rarely (only if there's an issue with the doors on one side of the pontoon or a ferry's going out of service), and the ferries have a great on-time performance record. Considering they already run every 15 minutes, I don't really know what would be gained by faster boarding? Factoring in the need for a bit of dwell time for schedule adherence, I don't think you'd save enough time for extra crossings...

Very nice photos, though, I must say.

Fantastic photos of the ferries. They're so photogenic. 

Yes, it can be aggravating having to wait for the ferry to completely unload before they can start letting anyone on, you're sitting there behind the door and you think huh, that has to be it, howcome they haven't unlocked the doors yet.. then there's some mother with 5 kids, or a group of elderly people bringing up the rear. 

As I recall when they were thinking about buying the first new ferry back in whatever year it was, the Christopher Stannix, they were tossing around the idea of buying boats that had doors on both sides, similar to the Translink system. But of course to take advantage of dedicated loading and unloading doors would require a complete rebuild of three ferry terminals, taking up quite a bit more waterfront space on the Halifax side, and they would've still had three (at the time) older ferries that couldn't take advantage of that setup. I imagine the Woodside I will still be around for a few years to come. 

And as stated above, they maintain their 15 minute headways just fine using the current setup, so it didn't make sense to change anything. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/30/2017 at 9:47 AM, hfx_chris said:

I imagine the Woodside I will still be around for a few years to come.

Aren't there two new ferries to be built in the next couple years, though? That would likely take care of both Halifax III and Woodside I.

Also, this is a bit early by Halifax Transit standards, but...

Route and Schedule Adjustments - Effective November 27th, 2017

Route 6 - Service Discontinued

Route 9 - Replaced by NEW Route 29. All trips begin/end at Tower Rd. Turning Loop and Bayers Rd. Centre. Services Water St. Terminal in both directions.

Weekday - 15 min peak (6:30 - 8:30am, 3:00 - 6:30pm), 30 min off-peak, 60 min after 10pm

Saturdays - 30 min service, 60 min after 7:21pm

Sundays/Holidays - 30 min service, 60 min after 6:20pm

Route 10 - Schedule adjustments (yet to be announced)

Routes 19/20 - Combined into Route 9A/9B. 10-15min peak, 15-20min off-peak. 30min weekends. Majority of weekday trips short turn at Greystone (9A). Weekend trips alternate.

Route 22 - Service removed from Exhibition Park.

Route 370 - Service removed from Micmac Terminal (end of trial period). Slight adjustments to compensate.

That will pretty much cover the list for this year's service plan, so I'm curious what, if any, adjustments get made in February...

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

2018/19 Service Plan has been officially released:

https://www.halifax.ca/sites/default/files/documents/transportation/halifax-transit/Halifax Transit - 2018-2019 Annual Service Plan.pdf

This year's planned adjustments have been split up into four groupings, each of which will be done all at once so as to minimize disruptions.

Planned Schedule and Route Changes - 2018/19 (Implemented as of August 20th, 2018)

Group A:

(NEW) Route 3: Replaces Route 52. Uses existing routing between Burnside and Lacewood Terminal.

(NEW) Route 28: Provides service between Lacewood and Mumford Terminals via Bayers Lake Business Park and Washmill Lake Dr.

Route 64: Increased mid-day service temporarily to complement Route 3 until Wrights Cove Terminal opens.

Group B:

(NEW) Route 2: Replaces existing Routes 2 and 4. Service provided between Lacewood Terminal and Downtown Halifax along similar routing to the 2/4.

(NEW) Route 30: Services local areas served by the existing 2 and 4. Will run as a two-way loop - 30A travels clockwise, 30B counterclockwise.

Group C

(NEW) Route 4: Replaces Routes 16, 17, 18, and 42. Provides service between Lacewood Terminal and the Saint Mary's and Dalhousie area.

(NEW) Route 39: Provides service between Lacewood Terminal and Bridge Terminal (similar to existing Route 16).

Group D

Route 21: Routing adjustments in Timberlea. Decreased service off-peak. Peak trips no longer servicing Downtown Halifax.

Routes 31, 33, 34, 35: Upgraded to Express Routes 135, 136, 137, and 138. Lacewood to Tantallon section of 33 becomes Rural Route 433.

(NEW) Route 123: Replaces existing Route 23. Routing adjustments in Timberlea. Will not service Mumford and take a more direct route Downtown.

Edited by Bud8Amp88
Added implementation date

• 3 weeks later...

Halifax Transit has announced that ALL of the adjustments in my last post will be implemented AT ONCE as of August 20th, making this perhaps the biggest set of routing adjustments in quite a few years (granted, a decent number of these are just routes changing numbers and/or route classifications, but still...)

• 1 month later...

First time since 1983 I ever rode in a Halifax Transit bus...this one's articulated (numbered 727) and took me to downtown Halifax, where we stopped on Barrington Street!  (During my unexpectedly long stay in Halifax between May and July of 1983, I rode in a GMC "Fishbowl" transit bus, then known as Metro Transit, a few times, notably bus 817.)  Today, all two-stroke Detroit Diesel-powered transit buses are gone, replaced by four-stroke Diesel-powered buses.

Halifax_Transit_bus_727.jpg

• 3 months later...