Halifax (metro) Transit.

Guest M. Boone

It's actually really interesting, even though both ferries were laid down and delivered pretty much the same time, the Halifax III and Dartmouth III always to me had slightly different interiors, with the former having an "older" and slightly more "retro" (read: tired) look than the later. Although it could be possible that the Dartmouth III was refitted at some point in the 80s or 90s...

Can someone please post a picture of Halifax III in her new livery?

I highly doubt that Halifax III will be retired before Darthmouth III because she hasn't painted in the new livery.

I'm not aware of any of the ferries being in the new livery yet.

The Woodside I has been ghost white for a month or two now but that's it.

It's actually the Dartmouth III that will be retired first:

http://www.halifax.ca/boardscom/SCfinance/documents/MTFerryRecapitalization.pdf

Huh...odd that they would do paint and deck work on a boat they're retiring in a few months (and none as of yet on the one they're keeping). Is it possible they changed their mind since the document was printed two years ago? Wouldn't be the first time...

In other news, the "Make Destination Signs Wordier" initiative has reached Routes 20 and 80:

"80 Sackville" is now "80 Sackville Terminal" (I would have suggested "80 Sackville Term'l via Bedford Hwy" myself...)

"80 Halifax" is now "80 Downtown Halifax via Spring Garden" (again, would have swapped "Spring Garden" for "Bedford Hwy" myself...)

"20 Downtown" is now "20 Downtown via Spring Garden"

Haven't seen a 20 heading for Herring Cove yet, though one might not need to change that one. (EDIT: Saw one, and it's sign has indeed not changed.)

EDIT: Downtown-bound 2s and 4s now read "Water St. Terminal via North".

Lastly, Wilson Hum notes in one of his recent photos that there are now just 20 Classics left at Ragged Lake, of which only 11 are still in active service. Next year's Xcelsiors will most certainly wipe them out, so enjoy them for the next 18 months or so, while you still can...

This year's Service Plan is out.

http://www.halifax.ca/transit/_assets/documents/AnnualServicePlan2015-16_Web.pdf

Daily ridership was up just a tick this year (now sitting at 99,000 daily boardings), but the overall increase in service has led to a decrease in passengers per service hour and in cost recovery.

Nothing fancy in terms of proposed service adjustments. Routes 80 and 81 will become ALF routes, and once the new Lacewood Terminal opens, all routes servicing it will see routing changes to accomodate it.

Transit also appears to be looking into renovations to the Halifax and Woodside Ferry Terminals (though the work on Woodside has been underway for a while, this year will see work move inside), as well as launching a study into a possible expansion of the Burnside Transit Centre. The new AVL system is set to be installed sometime this year, and a vendor for new fare management systems will be selected.

Looking at the ridership numbers:

-Route 1 has cracked 12,000 passenger boardings per day (next closest is Route 10 at just under 6,500!)

-Route 7 reported nearly 700 more daily passengers than it did in 2012/13.

-Routes 78 and 79 reporting 10 and 20 passengers per hour respectively, so the 79 isn't doing too bad, but the 78 isn't getting much use.

-Route 90 reported over 300 more daily boardings than a year ago, so strong gains there.

-Route 370 slowly making gains (reports just under 30 more daily boardings than a year ago).

-Woodside Ferry reporting over 650 more daily boardings than a year ago, and is now outperforming the Alderney route in daily boardings!

• 2 weeks later...

Classic #980 is now retired (according to one of the Maintenance Supervisors at the Ragged Lake Maintenance Facility). Here is a pic of it on the hoist being prepped for towing to the scrapyard.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bass_head/18511588456/

Thx for the update, just wondering how many Classics have been repainted into the new Halifax Transit scheme?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Could you advise what a BYD demo is please? Thanks

I have now uploaded my 1992 visit Metro Transit photographs to my Ipernity site. The link is:

http://www.ipernity.com/doc/davidslater-spoddendale/album/810268

They are in the 'Nova Scotia - Buses' album which Transit Cape Breton, Zinck's and Beaverbank in addition to Metro Transit.

David

I have now uploaded my 1992 visit Metro Transit photographs to my Ipernity site. The link is:

http://www.ipernity.com/doc/davidslater-spoddendale/album/810268

They are in the 'Nova Scotia - Buses' album which Transit Cape Breton, Zinck's and Beaverbank in addition to Metro Transit.

David

Great photos, thanks very much for sharing these!

Route and Schedule Adjustments Effective August 24th, 2015:

MacDonald Bridge Shuttle:

-Sundays: Two additional Bridge-bound trips to depart Scotia Square at 1:00am and 1:30am.

-Shuttles to run Sunday-Friday.

Mackay Bridge Shuttle:

-Sundays: Two additional Bridge-bound trips to depart Scotia Square at 1:00am and 1:30am.

-Shuttles to run Sunday-Friday.

Route 2:

-Route adjusted to service new Lacewood Terminal.

-Weekdays: Trips depart Water St. Terminal 2 minutes earlier. Depart Lacewood at normal time (both directions). Return trips arrive downtown 2 minutes earlier.

-Saturdays: Trips depart Water St. Terminal 5 minutes earlier. Depart Lacewood 4 minutes earlier (both directions). Return trips arrive downtown 2 minutes earlier.

-Sundays: Trips depart Water St. Terminal 2 minutes earlier. Depart Lacewood 2 minutes earlier (downtown-bound only). Return trips arrive downtown at normal time.

Route 4:

-Weekdays: Trips depart Water St. Terminal 2 minutes earlier. Depart Lacewood at normal time (both directions). Return trips arrive downtown 2 minutes earlier.

-Saturdays: Trips depart Water St. Terminal 2 minutes earlier. Depart Lacewood 2 minutes earlier (downtown-bound only). Return trips arrive downtown at normal time.

-Sundays: Trips depart Water St. Terminal 2 minutes earlier. Depart Lacewood 2 minutes later (downtown-bound only). Return trips arrive downtown at normal time.

-Sundays: Final 12:20am trip from Ross/Dunbrack extended to service Mumford Terminal - arrives at 12:46am.

Route 16:

-Weekdays/Saturdays: Trips depart MSVU 2 minutes earlier (both directions).

Route 17:

-Trips depart Lacewood Terminal 2 minutes earlier. Return trips arrive to Lacewood Terminal 2 minutes later.

Route 18:

-Weekdays: All trips arrive and depart Lacewood Terminal 2 minutes earlier. First Lacewood-bound trip departs MSVU 4 minutes earlier.

-Saturdays: All trips arrive and depart St. Mary's 2 minutes later. Return trips arrive to Lacewood terminal 4 minutes later.

-Sundays: All trips depart Lacewood 2 minutes earlier (last trip 2 minutes later). Return trips depart St. Mary's up to 5 minutes earlier (check specific trip times). Arrive at Lacewood between 3 minutes earlier and 5 minutes later (check specific trip times).

Route 21:

-Weekdays: Peak AM trips depart Alma/Dutch Village 4 minutes earlier, Lacewood Terminal 2 minutes earlier (both directions). Off-peak trips unaffected. PM peak trips depart Lacewood Terminal 2 minutes later (Timberlea-bound).

-Sundays: All trips depart Lacewood Terminal 1 to 4 minutes later (check specific trip times).

Route 22:

-Weekdays: Trips depart Ragged Lake 4 to 7 minutes later (both directions). Final PM trip from Mumford will not service Ragged Lake.

-Saturdays: Final PM trip from Mumford will not service Ragged Lake.

-Sundays: All Exhibition Park-bound trips to run 8 minutes later. All Mumford-bound trips to run 6 minutes later.

Route 31:

-AM trips depart Lacewood 2 minutes earlier. PM trips arrive 2 minutes later.

Route 33:

-AM trips depart Lacewood (both directions) and Tantallon 2 minutes earlier. PM trips depart Lacewood and Tantallon 2 minutes later, terminates at Lacewood 4 minutes later.

Route 34:

-AM trips depart Parkland/Kearney Lake 2 minutes earlier. PM trips depart Lacewood 2 minutes later.

Route 35:

-AM trips to run 2 minutes earlier between Parkland/Farnham Gate and MSVU. PM trips to run 2 minutes later between MSVU and Parkland/Farnham Gate.

Route 41:

-Returns to service for academic year.

Route 42:

-Returns to service for academic year. Adjusted to service new Lacewood Terminal.

-All trips to depart Lacewood Terminal 2 minutes earlier. Return trips arrive to Lacewood 2 minutes later.

Route 52:

-Weekdays: Trips depart Bayers Lake and Lacewood 2 minutes earlier (Burnside-bound). Return trips arrive in Bayers Lake 2 minutes later.

-Saturdays: Burnside-bound trips depart Bayers Lake 2 minutes earlier. Return trips arrive to Lacewood and Bayers Lake 2 minutes later.

-Sundays: Burnside-bound trips depart Bayers Lake 2 minutes earlier. Return trips arrive to Lacewood and Bayers Lake 2 minutes later.

Route 78:

-AM trips to depart Gregory/Flying Cloud 11 minutes earlier. Trips arrive at Woodside Ferry Terminal 13 minutes earlier.

-PM trips to run 13 minutes later.

Route 79:

-AM trips to arrive at Woodside Ferry Terminal 2 minutes earlier.

-PM trips unaffected. All Route 78s and 79s now depart at the same time.

Route 80:

-Now provides ALF service.

Route 81:

Route 82:

Route 83:

Route 89:

-Lacewood-bound trips to run 2 minutes later between Innovation/Hammonds Plains and Parkland/Kearney Lake.

-Cobequid-bound trips to run 2 minutes earlier between Parkland/Kearney Lake and Innovation/Hammonds Plains.

I meant to mention this last month when I saw the article.

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/canada/nova-scotia/rainbow-haven-transit-service-petition-gets-350-signatures-1.3151566

^ (I don't know how to properly link stuff in Tapatalk)

I've been saying for years that there should be a bus to Rainbow Haven.

I understand that it's apparently outside the service area. It's only a 15 minute drive from the Portland Hills terminal! We have a bus all the way out to the airport. Which is great; but Portland Hills isn't that far from Cole Harbour. My suggestion is have it run in the Summer months. Maybe even only on the weekend. Express from Portland Hills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk