Halifax (metro) Transit.

Guest M. Boone

Just wondering if anyone can dig through their brains and let me know something about the history of Penhorn terminal. I never took transit when I was a kid back in the 80s, there really wasn't transit service where I grew up, but I seem to recall being at the Wal-Mart, or Woolco as it probably was then and seeing buses travelling through the mall driveways. Can anyone substantiate that? Was there a terminal before the present one was constructed? Or was it a sort of Downsview Mall thing where they just went through the parking lot or something?

Thanks!

There's going to be a press conference today at 2:30 in the Grand Parade regarding the "next step" of the Halifax rebranding project, and Eddie Robar is going to be present. No proof, but I assume they will be unveiling the name change to "Halifax Transit", with a new livery.

There's going to be a press conference today at 2:30 in the Grand Parade regarding the "next step" of the Halifax rebranding project, and Eddie Robar is going to be present. No proof, but I assume they will be unveiling the name change to "Halifax Transit", with a new livery.

Proof

10382860_10152591323259444_1956146608570

10494580_10154895762850355_3464123042872

And bus 600 has changed it's livery but wish them good luck for their suburban seats not to be vandalize!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/55378459@N07/14332957015/in/photostream/

This also shows up during demo visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/55378459@N07/14137014881/in/photostream/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/55378459@N07/13953175500/in/photostream/

• 2 weeks later...

Saw one of the repainted buses this morning. Honestly I'm not a fan of this livery, and now that I've seen it I'll say it looks better in photos than it does in person. The yellow and blue 'wave' is definitely still my favourite post-amalgamation livery.

I think the new livery looks washed out. I was waiting to take over my bus the other day at Mumford and 1075( new livery ) was sitting next to 1101 ( painted in 2007ish with the old livery). 1101 looked brighter and fresher then 1075 by far!

Well, it's that time again...

Schedule Adjustments Effective August 25th, 2014:

Route 1:

Weekdays: Additional evening service providing 10 minute headways until 10pm

Saturdays: Schedule adjustments to increase route run-time (Bridge-bound only - Mumford departures adjusted by anywhere from 6 minutes earlier to 5 minutes later; check your schedules)

Route 7:

Saturdays: Additional service providing 15 minute headways from 8am to 6pm

Route 17:

Weekdays: Morning schedule adjustments (2 additional trips from Bayers Rd. Centre departing at 7:36am and 8:36am; 9:10am trip adjusted to 9:07am)

Route 21:

Weekdays: first 5 am trips adjusted - depart Lacewood 5, 8, 5, 13, and 5 minutes earlier respectively; depart Timberlea 5, 5, 5, 10, and 5 minutes earlier respectively

Routes 41 and 42:

Service resumes

Route 52:

Weekdays: am peak schecule adjustments (all Bayers Lake bound trips depart Highfield Terminal 4 minutes earlier)

Route 80:

Saturdays: All Halifax-bound trips depart Cobequid Terminal 5 minutes earlier

Route 90:

Service removed from Peakview Way Loop; route will end at first roundabout on Larry Uteck Blvd.

Not much to say this time around - the 1 and 7 continue to get service increases, and everything else is just adjustments for the most part.

Ok guys (and girls), i will be heading to Halifax early september thanks to a super special on VIA RAIL and i got a couple questions since i know nothing about Halifax Transit.

1- What are the best spots to spot buses, i know Bridge terminal (near my hotel) will be a good place, but do you have any other recommendations.

2- Revelant to question #1, what are the best spots (or routes) to photograph older buses (classics for exemple)

3 - I saw that route 402 goes near the sea, it is a route worth riding ?

4 - If possible, i would like to railfan a little bit in the city, but i will be only using transit during the whole trip, any spots in the city or transit accessible

I can't really comment on either of the last two questions, but for the first two, I would definitely suggest Scotia Square as a great place to see plenty of buses, not to mention most of the remaining routes that use Classics (20, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 41, 80, 81, 82, 84, 85, 86) all pass through there. Either of the rush hours is best, since the 31-35, and 84-86 only run during those times.

I can't really comment on either of the last two questions, but for the first two, I would definitely suggest Scotia Square as a great place to see plenty of buses, not to mention most of the remaining routes that use Classics (20, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 41, 80, 81, 82, 84, 85, 86) all pass through there. Either of the rush hours is best, since the 31-35, and 84-86 only run during those times.

Classics are becoming much harder to find. Burnside has 2 left that are in service and at Ragged lake there are 2 that are now just parts buses. As listed above rush hour is the best time to see them because of 31-35 routes and 84-86 routes. I know most night currently after 8pm there is not 1 classic on the road, our sch changes in 1 week so that may change but highly unlikely.

• 3 weeks later...

Classic #980 was running on the 20 Herring Cove route all night Tuesday Sept 2nd. Was working in that area to downtown and encountered the bus several times. It's becoming a rare sound to hear on Halifax streets outside of rush hours.

Even better, during my trip, i've rode 969 on that same route the night after, and 970 during the pm rush !

What a strange range of bus we found on this route, from classics, 1st gen LFS to LFS Artic !

Even better, during my trip, i've rode 969 on that same route the night after, and 970 during the pm rush !

What a strange range of bus we found on this route, from classics, 1st gen LFS to LFS Artic !

That route also sees DE60LR, D40LF and XD40LF lol

Speaking of Classics...scratch two more.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/55378459@N07/14900925887/

This time it's 973 and 983 biting the dust. Interesting to note that Wilson Hum states in reply to a comment that 986-1000 will all be retired before the last Classics go away. Personally find that hard to believe considering there's only (again, according to Wilson) 18 Classics left - 15 in Ragged Lake and 3 in Burnside.

• 2 weeks later...

Wilson Hum continues to post some awesome photos:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/55378459@N07/15054357248/

978 is going to be getting the "Bold Attitude" scheme on it as part of its major rebuild. I'll admit that I'm not the biggest fan of the colors used (the blues are good, but I agree that the yellows seem washed out), but much like when the New Looks got the wave scheme, it'll be cool to see a Classic running this new scheme.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/55378459@N07/15271516275/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/55378459@N07/15271241722/

This year's Xcelsior order is (mostly) here (will be units 1184-1198), and were delivered in plain white so HT could wrap them themselves. Speaking of which:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/55378459@N07/15271387912/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/55378459@N07/15085374817/

1184 and 1185 have already been wrapped. Gotta admit, it looks nicer on an XD40 than the older D40LFs - just seems like there's less blank space in the middle of the bus

Yeah I'm wondering if they haven't 'tweaked' the colours a bit, those Xcelsiors look better. Was a bit ironic that the municipality's "be bold" transit livery had such washed out looking drab colours, not bold at all.

There aren't any classics left in the green and blue are there? Would be interesting if Metro Transit had four different liveries on the road at the same time.

Yeah I'm wondering if they haven't 'tweaked' the colours a bit, those Xcelsiors look better. Was a bit ironic that the municipality's "be bold" transit livery had such washed out looking drab colours, not bold at all.

There aren't any classics left in the green and blue are there? Would be interesting if Metro Transit had four different liveries on the road at the same time.

No I believe last classic to have the Blue and Green logo was 985 and it was repainted a couple of years ago.