Halifax (metro) Transit.

Guest M. Boone

While I don't have a current picture, the buses were originally delivered in the livery, and a driver snapped some cell phone pics before they got wrapped:http://www.cptdb.ca/...ndpost&p=358065

If I get a chance to take a new picture, I'll upload it.

I snapped those pictures before I joined the board :)

I saw one of them today was kind of funny I said out allowed to another driver look at those new buses Nova Changed a little bit, till I got closer and said we got new flyer artics to which I was like oh opps lol. They look a lot sharper with out the wrap!

I snapped those pictures before I joined the board :)

I saw one of them today was kind of funny I said out allowed to another driver look at those new buses Nova Changed a little bit, till I got closer and said we got new flyer artics to which I was like oh opps lol. They look a lot sharper with out the wrap!

Yes, i do agree they look much better without the wrap..

instead of my getting excited when ever we got a 'rolling cloud' it'll jst be a thankful thought that its NOT a Nova!

Confirmed now by Metro Transit on their twitter. Jan 18 was the last run for the classic artics and it was 706 that made the run.

with over 900,000kms on the odometer..

Perhaps one of our member-operators can shed a little light on something. Are there any guidelines from Metro Transit for operators of out of service buses arriving at, and dropping passengers off at the Bridge terminal?

It seems to me that most OOS buses enter the terminal via the Nantucket driveway, and seem to always pull into bay #1 to allow passengers to get off. Bay #1 (stop for the outbound 58 and 68) is at the far end, and the farthest stop you can get from connecting routes to downtown Halifax. Of course the reason operators use this stop is so they can easily pull into the layover lane, without looping around the platform.

Personally I would think a more appropriate action, especially for buses coming from the Alderney Drive area, would be to enter via the Thistle Street driveway, stop at the bay for the 59 Halifax (bay 11 I think) which would see very little use and is very handy to routes heading across the bridge, and would also allow easy access to the layover lane.

Perhaps one of our member-operators can shed a little light on something. Are there any guidelines from Metro Transit for operators of out of service buses arriving at, and dropping passengers off at the Bridge terminal?

It seems to me that most OOS buses enter the terminal via the Nantucket driveway, and seem to always pull into bay #1 to allow passengers to get off. Bay #1 (stop for the outbound 58 and 68) is at the far end, and the farthest stop you can get from connecting routes to downtown Halifax. Of course the reason operators use this stop is so they can easily pull into the layover lane, without looping around the platform.

Personally I would think a more appropriate action, especially for buses coming from the Alderney Drive area, would be to enter via the Thistle Street driveway, stop at the bay for the 59 Halifax (bay 11 I think) which would see very little use and is very handy to routes heading across the bridge, and would also allow easy access to the layover lane.

There isn't really any thing written down. But I know when I do a route comming from Alderney I enter off thistle and use bay 11 (after Feb 25th im not sure as I think Bay 11 will be the 10 to Dalhousie).I then loop around, I find its quicker for my self and the passengers instead of going all the way to Nantucket.

When coming off a route 1 of 41 where I drop off depends on how many buses are in the out of service lane. If its empty I will drop off at the 52 burnside stop ( because its in the middle). If the out service lane is full and I am forced to park near the back I will drop off at the first bay when I pull in so I can pull off easier.

Feb 25 route and schedule changes are up, including the changes to the Bridge Terminal bus bay layouts.

www.halifax.ca/metrotransit/Schedules/documents/GoTimes_Feb2013.pdf

Highlights:

- Route 16 is going to be extended to service Regency Park Drive

- Route 51 will no longer service Faulkner Drive, will now travel via the intersection of Wyse and Windmill

And of course the usual bunch of schedule adjustments.

Perhaps somebody here can help me out a bit. Before the present Penhorn terminal was constructed back in the early 90s, was there some sort of "terminal" located within the mall parking lot? For some reason I can't get this image out of my mind, of buses running around near the Woolco (later Wal-Mart).

Also while I'm asking questions, can anyone tell me if the additional bus bays at the Woodside Ferry Terminal were ever used? They must have had big plans when they built that terminal in the late 80s, as I recall there are 5 bays

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so I went to Lawtons to get prices for the set of 4 Transit tiedowns that METRO TRANSIT DEMANDS that I have on my chair's ADA STANDERD transit 'hooks' just to fit their ANTIQUE & UNSAFE SYSTEM of 'seat buckle' style restraint system!!!, $4.95 EACH!!! +TAX or $20+tax, for the set!! there is NO way I can afford this on the lousy excuse of a disability pension we get out here, & just so you all are aware, MT ARE THE ONLY TA in North America! to REQUIRE these stupid things!!

I have the paper quote from Lawtons, there is NO WHERE else to get them cheaper!!

I'm taking it to MT HQ in Burnside to tell them that they need to HELP with the cost if we are to use this B.S, no wonder most w/c users wont come off Access'a'bus!!

Added to this, my income assistance worker flatly refused to help me with this cost!!

I've already been denied transit 3x because of this B.S!! I'm completely pissed off!

It is NOT my problem that Metro Transit cant get with the 20th Century & use the ADA & CUTA/AUTA STANDARD of QSTRAINT J HOOK system!!

I got this thing here fine on VIA & GO Transit as well as HSR & TTC, wtf MT??

There isn't really any thing written down. But I know when I do a route comming from Alderney I enter off thistle and use bay 11 (after Feb 25th im not sure as I think Bay 11 will be the 10 to Dalhousie).I then loop around, I find its quicker for my self and the passengers instead of going all the way to Nantucket.

When coming off a route 1 of 41 where I drop off depends on how many buses are in the out of service lane. If its empty I will drop off at the 52 burnside stop ( because its in the middle). If the out service lane is full and I am forced to park near the back I will drop off at the first bay when I pull in so I can pull off easier.

DAL, bay 11

WESTPHAL, bay 13

so as per usual, MT screw disabled ppl...

Here's why..

At Bridge Terminal:

1. GO TIME screens that are lowered for disabled/legally blind, are SHUT OFF!! with NO plans to get them working, (( the ones high up on the walls, ARE WORKING! (somewhat)..

2. Entrance doors closest to Bays 12 & 13. are BUSTED, the outer one has been propped open for days, the inner one is 'working' but the actual opener that is supposed to 'hold' the door open for 45 seconds, DOES NOT WORK!! Its been like that for over 3 weeks!!

A couple of weeks ago I noticed on the Metro Transit website that the Woodside ferry terminal building was closed due to a water leak, so today I decided to take a little ferry boat ride!

The passenger waiting area (the fare paid zone) is completely sealed off, and they have a sort of waiting "corral" set up with temporary barriers right in front of the ramp exit doors. It's pretty cramped.. Must have been quite a bit of damage, that was a couple of weeks ago now I think.

Also while I was there I thought, does anybody know why the 165 is still a route? I think there were two people on it in the afternoon rush hour departing the ferry terminal, and I never see more than 3 or 4 at a time. In my opinion that route should be operated as one of the 'express' (like the 30s) with limited stops at Portland Hills, Penhorn and the ferry terminal, with the regular fare. I don't see how that route in its' current configuration can still exist, the city has cut routes before that perform better than this one.

I took a drive around Burnside today to check out the Dartmouth Metals scrap yard, and the buses that were brought there the other week (702, 706, 940 and 942) were nowhere to be seen. I suppose they could have made really short work of them (they were fully intact as of Feb 24 when they were photographed by Wilson Hum) but I'm wondering if they weren't re-sold to someone else.

Ken Wilson, president of ATU local 508, is up to no good once again. This time he's trying to put a stop to rural transit in HRM unless it's operated by union members. I can't wait for the day when he's voted out of office and finds himself back behind the wheel of a bus where he'll face many angry transit riders every day. From today's Chronicle Herald...

Metro Transit workers file grievance over MusGo funding

March 6, 2013 - 6:37am By SELENA ROSS Staff Reporter

Metro Transit workers filed a grievance Monday over a municipal grant to a fledgling rural transportation service.

If Halifax Regional Municipality wants to provide transit to the Eastern Shore or other fringes, it can send unionized drivers to do the job, Ken Wilson, president of Local 508, Amalgamated Transit Union, said Tuesday.

“You have RCMP policing in Musquodoboit (Harbour) area. They didn’t hire rent-a-cops,” said Wilson. “What’s next? A Mickey Mouse fire department?”

Council approved, in principle, a $10,000 grant to MusGo Rider Co-op in October, asking MusGo to submit a business plan and financial statements.

The service will also have to prove it meets guidelines that municipal staff have drafted around community-led transit. Council asked for the new guidelines, in the hopes that similar solutions could work in other rural areas that can’t sustain a demand for full buses. However, there’s no need to send buses to those areas, said Wilson.

Full-salaried drivers could drive vans, he said. In some cases, Metro Transit employees with disabilities that disqualify them from driving buses could be put to work in smaller vehicles, he said.

“It’s not my job to manage Metro Transit, but as far as I’m concerned, there’s a million different possibilities that you can come up with — ways to get the Amalgamated Transit Union with the proper equipment, proper training, to go down there and pick up the people in Musquodoboit (Harbour area), Cow Bay, Lucasville.”

He questioned whether the municipality was going to “fund taxi drivers,” saying that’s what MusGo Rider Co-op sounds like to him.

That’s not at all true, said Lucie Quigley, who manages MusGo. The service has one six-person passenger van, a full-time driver and a relief driver, Quigley said. She spoke with municipal staff while setting up MusGo, and the municipality determined the service was unique. Passengers must book 24 hours in advance, and MusGo sets up each trip after looking at all requests. While passengers are guaranteed to get to their destination, they have no say over who else is in the van or what other stops are made. The service is averaging 20 to 25 one-way trips per week, with some trips involving multiple passengers, said Quigley.

She said she was frustrated with Metro Transit after hearing of the grievance, saying her proposal has been around for years. “Metro Transit had an obligation to address this awhile ago with the union, and they failed to do that,” she said. Quigley was told the transit authority didn’t foresee any problems with Local 508, she said.

However, Metro Transit director Eddie Robar said Tuesday that the grievance wasn’t entirely unexpected.

Metro Transit hadn’t spoken with its unionized workers about the municipality’s plan to look at transit options outside of the traditional system, Robar said.

But the funding for the program will come from another department’s budget and Metro Transit wouldn’t be involved, he said. Metro Transit has helped draft the criteria that would be used to judge whether a community transit group might be successful and should get funding.

It could take a year or 18 months to resolve the grievance, said Wilson.

Wilson said he would have no problem with community transportation supported only by provincial dollars, but when money starts coming out of the municipal budget, he has to take note.

With Laura Fraser, staff reporter

Ken Wilson, president of ATU local 508, is up to no good once again. This time he's trying to put a stop to rural transit in HRM unless it's operated by union members.

He is doing what any other president of a union would do. Stick up for their workers. Hope the union wins this battle.

The problem is that Metro Transit isn't interested in providing service to the rural parts of HRM. Are you telling me that as a rural taxpayer in HRM I should be without the possiblity of affordable public transit of some kind simply because Metro Transit knows they can't afford to run out this way under the current ATU collective agreement.

I say that rural transit dollars should be taken away from the municipality and managed by the province. That way Ken Wilson doesn't have any say in the matter and the province is free to work with non-profit community groups and private contractors who could provide this much needed service.

I'm not anti-union by any means, I was shop steward for a busing operation in Northern Alberta but I also know there is a limit on what demands can be made to the taxpaying public and Local 508 is pushing those limits. Ken Wilson lives in some fantasy world and hopefully it comes crashing down when the membership gets screwed over by his actions.

I tried to remain a quiet on this topic but feel I should point out a few things JC. First if musgo was a rural only transit service then why are they taking bookings to transport people to the airport $60.00 one way. ( posted on their facebook group). Why are they transporting people to Dartmouth crossing and MicMac (again on their facebook group). Why are they transporting people to the bridge terminal and alderney ( again on their facebook group). Why did they also answer a question about going to Clayton Park ( you guessed it on their facebook site). If Musgo was a service that was meant to fill in the gaps that MetroTransit was missing then Musgo would do two things transport people with in the community it served and transport people to the nearest Metro Transit terminal (Portland hills). If there a bunch of groups that decided to follow this model and people decided that 5 dollars a ride was worth it. Metro Transit would have to continue to reduce service due to lower ridership. That in turn would reduce the amount of drivers needed at transit which could result in layoffs. That would mean that there would be less good paying jobs in the municipality which could affect a lot of things and more jobs. This would also make it less appealing for tourists who would not know of these smaller transit coperatives. So it could reduce tourists coming off cruise ships and such as many take transit to go to places their people on the boat recomended. Taxis would never be able to handle this on their own. The service Musgo is offering is better left to Metro Transit or a Taxi company.

Now the part people seem to be missing is Lucie Quigley the GM of Musgo is also seeking the nomination (provincially) for the liberal party for eastern sure. In a interview with cbc news on Monday night she stated that the grant money given from the province was almost gone. She stated that the money was used for the van, gas, and to pay herself a small salary. So let me get this straight my tax dollars are paying for you to have time to seek support to run on the liberal ticket in the next provincial election? Why would I want my municipal tax dollars to further fund her and her aspirations. If she truly wanted to help the people of her community she would not be running as well.

So as you can see I as a member of the ATU local 508 am very happy with what my president is doing, and support him 100%.

As a side note JC there was a rural transportation group out in prospect (now defunct due to low ridership) They operated on a grant from the province and was testing out the service. ATU 508 never stood in their way! Want to know why? Well they would 5 days a week only transport to exhibition park to meet with the 22. They offered 1 day a week service to mumford to help connect better with buses there. One day a week they would go to Bayerslake to connect with the 52 at night.

They had a set schedule that operated usually 5:30am till 6:00pm. They truly supplemented Metro Transit.

I wasn't aware of them going into the city unless it was a charter arrangement and they are licensed for that, so that covers the Clayton Park question which was replied to with a 4 hour charter price.

Simply cutting off the service at Porters Lake doesn't work for those trying to get into the city either. If there are no pre-booked riders beyond Middle Musquodoboit or Chezzetcook (for example) then the van can use the highway to make a quicker trip. A Community Transit bus can't short cut like that and I wouldn't expect Musgo riders to be dropped off at the Porters Lake Superstore or some other out of the way venue to catch a ride on transit. Mic Mac Mall and Dartmouth Crossing are maybe the ideal points for people to get onto transit or vice versa. Portland Hills is the most inconvenient stop suggested for a transfer point.

A closer read of the facebook page clearly states Alderney Landing and the new transit terminal are part of a fixed-schedule commuter service and that's no different than Green Rider (formerly VanPools) carpools you see each day.Is Ken going to target Green Rider too since they drop off / pick up in transit territory?

It's obvious that Metro Transit isn't interested in providing rural transit even though Muquodoboit Hbr was assured bus service in years past. So as a rural resident I could care less what ATU 508 and their members think of an initiative to provide affordable transit service by a group other than Metro Transit. I'll use it when it's convenient for me and will do my best to avoid boarding a transit bus in the city, I think Irving Oil has worked harder to get my support of their businesses (at the gas pump) more than greedy Ken Wilson.

If ATU 508 was so concerned about the Musgo service, they should have complained to the URB when they applied to have their van licensed. Apparently your executive had more urgent matters on the table at the time.

Portland hills is not inconvenient it is a point in the system where you catch a bus to mic mac, the bridge terminal, downtown and the list goes on. Green Rider does not get money from the city and transports people from places outside the city boundary to with in the city. When musgo applied perhaps it was thought they would stay within the boundaries of the eastern shore.

Now why not answer why she is running for the Liberal nod and then answer who is greedy?

Thoughts on the MT/MUSGO/Ken, issues

for one thing, musgo is NOT ACCESSIBLE, NOR are MT LINK or M.B services, so those with physicial disabilities ARE SCREWED OVER NO MATTER WHAT!

KEN is doing ONLY what his union members APPROVE OF... as a multiply disabled person, support him 100%

J.C, why dont you go try living in Tantallon or Sambro, gee buddy their pretty RURAL.... THEY HAVE MT SERVICE!!

Portland Hills is a GREAT terminal, I've used it countless times when living in Westphal, when the 10 had only HF service & the 54 was dead, I hate penhorn with a fervernt PASSION, I've been assaulted there 2x, I wont use it, also I like going to the superstore mall on portland, its on the 57, (much safer crossing for a blind person, (I also hate crossing portland at night) I'd connect with the 57/72 connection at portland or take the 159 from S.S to P.H, then the 56 to mmm, or 72 to tacoma, then wheel home..

also if I were you J.C, I'd really watch your back, you never know when your gonna want to have union support, cause if M.B gets tired of low profit, they'll pull another Acadian stunt, just mark my words, cause when your job is on the line, your gonna WISH you had KEN & ATU 508 repping you..

...back to my lurking & wheelin round this amazing city!!

Hugs to my ATU FAMILY!!

107 - 113 - 508, 4 LIFE!!!

Portland hills is not inconvenient it is a point in the system where you catch a bus to mic mac, the bridge terminal, downtown and the list goes on. Green Rider does not get money from the city and transports people from places outside the city boundary to with in the city. When musgo applied perhaps it was thought they would stay within the boundaries of the eastern shore.

Now why not answer why she is running for the Liberal nod and then answer who is greedy?

Agree with you 1000%

Okay maybe it's just me who finds it inconvenient to detour from Main St when coming off Hwy 7/107 and to Portland St instead of a more direct route to Mic Mac. I don't know the details of the application because small van license applications don't go to public hearings like larger bus permits do.

As for her political desires, no idea. Wasn't aware of her being a candidate and it really doesn't matter to me as long as the van is there for those who need it, which is more than I can say for the lack of effort by transit when it comes to providing much needed tranportation options out this way. She is however the GM of the service and entitled to collect a paycheque for the work she puts in.

Thoughts on the MT/MUSGO/Ken, issues

for one thing, musgo is NOT ACCESSIBLE, NOR are MT LINK or M.B services, so those with physicial disabilities ARE SCREWED OVER NO MATTER WHAT!

WRONG... From MusGo's website: The MusGo Rider is a 2013 Dodge Caravan. In January 2013 it will be converted by Lawtons to be a D409 compliant, fully accessible vehicle with a bike rack. MT LINK (I assume Metro Transit's Link routes) are listed on the website as Wheelchair accessable, look on the route list and see the symbol. M.B., not sure yet but some new additions to the fleet have started to arrive.

KEN is doing ONLY what his union members APPROVE OF... as a multiply disabled person, support him 100%

J.C, why dont you go try living in Tantallon or Sambro, gee buddy their pretty RURAL.... THEY HAVE MT SERVICE!!

WRONG AGAIN - Tantallon and Sambro are suburban areas, not rural.

Portland Hills is a GREAT terminal, I've used it countless times when living in Westphal, when the 10 had only HF service & the 54 was dead, I hate penhorn with a fervernt PASSION, I've been assaulted there 2x, I wont use it, also I like going to the superstore mall on portland, its on the 57, (much safer crossing for a blind person, (I also hate crossing portland at night) I'd connect with the 57/72 connection at portland or take the 159 from S.S to P.H, then the 56 to mmm, or 72 to tacoma, then wheel home..

Glad it works for you.

also if I were you J.C, I'd really watch your back, you never know when your gonna want to have union support, cause if M.B gets tired of low profit, they'll pull another Acadian stunt, just mark my words, cause when your job is on the line, your gonna WISH you had KEN & ATU 508 repping you..

Watch my back?? really?? my job isn't the topic here and if it ever came up it wouldn't be discussed here. But I should add that if a company operating with a union is losing money and needs to shut down due to said losses, how is the union going to protect me. They can't force a money-losing employer to keep operating. But maybe you can't grasp that concept and simply support the union because you don't know any better. But thanks for the advice, ken and his crew are the least of my worries in this city.

...back to my lurking & wheelin round this amazing city!!

Hugs to my ATU FAMILY!!

107 - 113 - 508, 4 LIFE!!!

Agree with you 1000%

If this adds much needed transit service to areas that HRM refuses to service I'm all for it, and I don't know why anybody sensible would ever be against it. However, the planned MetroX service to Musquodoboit Harbour hasn't been canned, just pushed back - I believe the RFP for the purchase of the new cutaways for it was just approved by regional council. I'm not sure what MusGo's service area is (such as, will they pick people up out in Sheet Harbour or Upper Musquodoboit? Yeah I haven't looked at the website I know...) but when the MetroX becomes operational it could be a logical transfer point between MusGo and MetroX services. But until that happens I have no problem with them transporting into the city.

Then again I'm just a taxpayer.

Hey Chris, I believe they will only travel out to Lake Charlotte at this point in time. But at least it opens the door to people using the Porter's Lake bus then MusGo if they want to spend a day at Clam Harbour Beach and return. Seasonal cottage dwellers might also find it handy to go grocery shopping etc.

Ok cool. Not too far then, but still something. I can see this service working very well to compliment the MetroX service once it starts up.

Or even as mentioned earlier, if they came in as far as Portland Hills. They could also pick people up along the 207, Lawrencetown area, another stretch that HRM refuses to provide bus service to.

Okay maybe it's just me who finds it inconvenient to detour from Main St when coming off Hwy 7/107 and to Portland St instead of a more direct route to Mic Mac. I don't know the details of the application because small van license applications don't go to public hearings like larger bus permits do.

As for her political desires, no idea. Wasn't aware of her being a candidate and it really doesn't matter to me as long as the van is there for those who need it, which is more than I can say for the lack of effort by transit when it comes to providing much needed tranportation options out this way. She is however the GM of the service and entitled to collect a paycheque for the work she puts in.

the MUSGO 'wheelchair' accessible is for SMALL wheelchairs, NOT scooters or larger power chairs, I have actually called MUSGO to inquire about this...

The buses that do the 400 series routes ARE NOT ACCESSIBLE, I have TRIED already to go out to Tantallon.. was told by driver..

Dont you EVER insult my inteligence again JC, I DO know better! just know this, I have been involved with both non-unionized places as well as Unionized workplaces, I'd much RATHER have a union...

I've seen non-union private bus companies who went belly-up, screw there employees many times, in ontario.. Acadian drivers/staff were much better treated than any of the people were in ontario..