Halifax (metro) Transit.

Guest M. Boone

Nope wouldnt have been on the 54 at all there only three of them in our fleet when all three are running they are on commuity only runs. The only regular run one will do is that last 55 ( until end of Nov min) because its part of the shift with proters lake. If the 54 broke down and they where going to add a bus with no ramp or working ramp to help cover the run you would see a classic or a 1st gen Nova.

The 55 does how ever travel on Crichton ave on to Glen Manor and mic blvd then leaves Mic and on to the high way same as the 54 does they then split the 54 going up Main and the 55 going on the Wavelry road

As for the drivers turning off the buses at alderney on the 54 some do it for either a bathroom break or to reduce idling.

Nope wouldnt have been on the 54 at all there only three of them in our fleet when all three are running they are on commuity only runs. The only regular run one will do is that last 55 ( until end of Nov min) because its part of the shift with proters lake. If the 54 broke down and they where going to add a bus with no ramp or working ramp to help cover the run you would see a classic or a 1st gen Nova.

The 55 does how ever travel on Crichton ave on to Glen Manor and mic blvd then leaves Mic and on to the high way same as the 54 does they then split the 54 going up Main and the 55 going on the Wavelry road

As for the drivers turning off the buses at alderney on the 54 some do it for either a bathroom break or to reduce idling.

HAH! ok now i see what you mean Calamin, when you describe it that way, I think that must be what my friend saw, TY!!

yeah, J does it, during the day, he likes to go get his legs working, as he puts it, also a night guy out here does it too, hes cool, drove trucks for many years, we have great talks, just mind blowing great talks!

btw, whats up with 10 recently, its actually been on time during the day for once!

also 1024 sounds like it needs a good tune up, it sounds nasty yesterday when I heard it!!

I don't mean to keep correcting you, but there shouldn't be any 40 foot Classics on the 61 or 87, they're both low floor routes.

my husband was on the 87 2 weeks ago, very first trip in the morning outta Cobiquid, it was a MCI he didnt have enough vision to read bus number, but definitely was a MCI, also the 82 get them too.. we just were talking bout it today..

Also, the bridge Terminal is still without the proper high-contrast washroom signs, I checked on Friday..

btw, our bus stop wastebasket has finally fallen from its lonely bolt holding it on the wooden pole, i called 490-4000, useless buggers, couldent even figure where it was by my description, so gotta find a sighted person to read the go time code for it, thats what she wanted was the 4 digit code..

my husband was on the 87 2 weeks ago, very first trip in the morning outta Cobiquid, it was a MCI he didnt have enough vision to read bus number, but definitely was a MCI, also the 82 get them too.. we just were talking bout it today..

There must have been a low floor bus not far behind (or ahead)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I don't get to spend too much time in Halifax anymore, but I'm curious to know if the changes made to the bus stops at the Mumford terminal a year or two ago made much of a difference during rush hour? It was pretty crazy how easily everything got jammed up before, almost as bad as the old Bridge terminal.

Mumford in my opinion should not have been built as it was, it really was too small and cramped from the moment it opened/reopened. I could see a justification in deciding to rebuild it, however as we know space there is pretty limited...

It seems everything is ready to do their PDI fast then!

PDI?

Mumford in my opinion should not have been built as it was, it really was too small and cramped from the moment it opened/reopened. I could see a justification in deciding to rebuild it, however as we know space there is pretty limited...

Agreed. I think part of the reason behind the original design was the relative unimportance transit was viewed with: the people in power didn't really care. Things have changed in the past 10 years, and I think we're finally getting to a point were people are not willing to simply accept what's "good enough" and push for something better.

Yes good point. We know MT wants to replace the Lacewood terminal (anyone know the status of this?) and I've heard rumours about Highfield being upgraded (anyone know the status of that one either?). If they replace Lacewood and give Highfield, Cobequid and Penhorn facelifts, then do something with Mumford, I think they'll be in good shape.

On a related note, I was just thinking the other day about the old Mic Mac terminal, before it moved out to the street. At the time that the new one was built I remember thinking what an inconvenience it was to have to walk to it, compared to the old one. But now I just think wow, it really was pretty dangerous to have all of those buses whipping around the parking lot like that. The old Mumford terminal too. Of course nothing was worse than that temporary Mic Mac terminal... It was pretty unpleasant standing there waiting for the bus in the middle of February.

Yes good point. We know MT wants to replace the Lacewood terminal (anyone know the status of this?) and I've heard rumours about Highfield being upgraded (anyone know the status of that one either?). If they replace Lacewood and give Highfield, Cobequid and Penhorn facelifts, then do something with Mumford, I think they'll be in good shape.

On a related note, I was just thinking the other day about the old Mic Mac terminal, before it moved out to the street. At the time that the new one was built I remember thinking what an inconvenience it was to have to walk to it, compared to the old one. But now I just think wow, it really was pretty dangerous to have all of those buses whipping around the parking lot like that. The old Mumford terminal too. Of course nothing was worse than that temporary Mic Mac terminal... It was pretty unpleasant standing there waiting for the bus in the middle of February.

Lacewood Terminal had to go back to public consultation the site that they had picked on willet was opposed by to many people and would have been a hard sell. I think you will see the new Lacewood terminal (although it would be father away) probably right beside the Canada Games Centre. Seems to be the only place that people don't oppose even if it was the site that scored the lowest out of the three.Willet scored 1st because of how close it was to the existing terminal so it would be a minimal blip in route reconfiguration. Northcliffe was 2nd. I still hope they can figure something with residents on willet to make it work but doubt it. Also as a side note for those that complain about the 52 being too long I have heard from some reliable sources that whenever the new Lacewood terminal opens that it will likely be split into two routes. Reason why it isn't now is the best place for it to be split is Mumford and there is no room for a bus to terminate there and terminating at the bridge is not logical because you would end up with a ontime Dartmouth route and late Halifax route.

Highfield Terminal was supposed to be revamped when the bridge was built. But because the bridge was around 5 mill more than they budgeted for a couple of years ago it was pushed back. But to be honest Highfield terminal for the traveling public really wouldn't be too much different. You would still have outside waiting only. There would have however be an inside area for drivers to use the bathroom and heat up food this was meant because of the route 66 one of the last routes left with nothing at all for drivers ( excluding routes terminating at lacewood terminal which would be fixed whenever they build the new one)

Now Mumford Terminal the reason it's so small is not because of transit but because of Halifax Shopping centre and Walmart (or so the rumor goes). The terminal originally when they were redoing the Sears into what we have now. Was supposed to sit beside Walmart down by the fence where the rail road tracks are. It was supposed to extend a little bit into the parking lot as well. The rumor/story (and stress rumor/Story) is Walmart wanted parking spots and bam you ended up with Mumford terminal present. They have talked about replacing Mumford and from what I remember its roughly 7-10 years out because of the other terminals. The problem they have and possibly the reason why it's pushed back that far is they have no clue where they could put it. A new terminal requires a lot of land and the mall I dont think will give up more.. So it becomes the problem where can it go that is not too far away from where it is now. Hard to answer that when you are in an area of the city that is notorious for a lack of free space as it's an older section.

Also don't know why this has never been mentioned or maybe it was. There is also talk of a new terminal being added to the system. I believe it's just outside of the 5 year plan. The Burnside terminal when it was originally pitched 4 years ago they wanted the following routes to use it 52,56,64,72,85,87. I believe it's still in the books the routes serving it and size may have been reduced. Also there is talk before they finally do cut the 52 in two is to change it's route a little. By making it go through Dartmouth Crossing giving you that bridge to the crossing bus ( as if it needed more of an area to be tied up).

Well I think I may have just given us all months of discussion topics lol.

PDI doesn't matter much in NS, more important is the intensive safety inspection performed by the NSURB inspectors. Just because something passes the PDI doesn't mean it passes the URB checklist.

I know you guys have the most strict inspection for motor vehicle in the Provinces!

Good information Calamin. I forgot about the proposed Burnside terminal, I think that was supposed to go around Wright and John Savage if I'm not mistaken? There was also talk about a Burnside shuttle of some sort to go with it.

Anything they can do to improve the route 52 schedule adherence is a good thing, even if that means splitting the route up and having a Mumford to Bayers Lake, and a Mumford to Burnside route.

I think your right on where that burnside terminal was supposed to go.

This new Schedule change starting Nov 19 the 52 has been adjusted. I believe that off peak they will be adding 11 min in each direction and peak 16 min in each direction to the schedule. On Saturday they added 16 min each direction to the schedule and on Sunday I think they added 11 minutes. All of the times I listed are what I remember they may be slightly off. They will also be adding more buses to the route. If you use the 52 please check the schedule because the times for the route have changed a lot the only time that has remained the same is the 52 Bayers Lake at the Bridge.

Good to know. Not sure if it's really a solution, just add a bunch of time to the scheduled departures. I guess it's a quick fix.

I was also just thinking another terminal that really needs some work, however it would be pretty much impossible right now, is Scotia Square, specifically the MetroX stop location. I realize why they stop on the street formerly known as Market, it's just too crowded at the MetroLink stop on Barrington, but it's so out of the way. Does anyone know if there's at least signage around to tell you where to go? I would love to see some sort of major transit terminal incorporated into a redeveloped Cogswell Interchange site.

I would love to see that be a part of the plans. As far as signage don't think there is it’s really hard for the people coming off the airport bus when they are trying to do transfers. Whenever I do the airport run (which is not very often) I encourage people to transfer to the 1 at the bridge terminal that way they are being brought to the lower part of scotia square. Also seems that most of the people that take the airport bus who transfer are trying to get some where the 1 goes. They have been told at the airport by the info people to transfer at Scotia Square. Not sure why but its really hard to convince them its much easier to walk across the platform at the bridge

There is a plan to move the Link buses up to where the Metro X stops are. I guess there have been complaints about the congestion down on Barrington.

Also in the next 3 to 6 months there will be a minor stops relocation at the bridge. Some adjustments that where needed after seeing the terminal in action.

In theory the MetroX and MetroLink routes should be able to share that same stop on Barrington. Drivers would need to be more mindful of not dwelling there too long. Layover on Market or Lower Water until your departure time, then swing down and stop long enough for everyone to board and take off. Often I see a 159 or 185 pull in signed in service, then sit there for 5-10 minutes until their departure time, taking up space.

Metro Transit should have a map of some sort at the airport, either in the terminal or at the stop (or both) showing exactly where in downtown the bus stops, and where you have to go to get to everything else.

Hey one question I had about the 320, I've never been on it yet so I'm wondering after it leaves the stop on Market, what routing does it take to get back to Gottingen and the bridge? You can't make a left onto Cogswell from there.

Just thinking a bit more about the Lacewood relocation. Out of the three finalists that were presented a couple of years ago, Northcliffe was always my favourite, although I can see the benefits of having a terminal located closer to the mainland commons, library and high school.

I would love to see that be a part of the plans. As far as signage don't think there is it’s really hard for the people coming off the airport bus when they are trying to do transfers. Whenever I do the airport run (which is not very often) I encourage people to transfer to the 1 at the bridge terminal that way they are being brought to the lower part of scotia square. Also seems that most of the people that take the airport bus who transfer are trying to get some where the 1 goes. They have been told at the airport by the info people to transfer at Scotia Square. Not sure why but its really hard to convince them its much easier to walk across the platform at the bridge

There is a plan to move the Link buses up to where the Metro X stops are. I guess there have been complaints about the congestion down on Barrington.

Also in the next 3 to 6 months there will be a minor stops relocation at the bridge. Some adjustments that where needed after seeing the terminal in action.

!, the bridge does need some 'tweaking' but I hope they LEAVE my 10 stop ALONE! (westphal & Dal) the westphal is in the perfect spot, close enough to the doors to just bolt out the door when you hear it pull in, especially nice on a sunday with only hourly service!!

I could draw a map of my idea, of the needed tweaking, as i like to sit at the terminal & watch the buses sometimes, but my drawings couldn't be scanned, as i dont have a scanner right now, so working from a copy of the bridge terminal pamplet, I've been woking on tweak layout, I'll post it tomorrow night..

2. the airport bus, stops in a stupid spot, something should be worked out, where there's a decent terminal for Scotia Square.. I have my theroies, but they are not what the hotel or mall across from scotia square would like, as I keep eyeballing the parking lot below the one set of stops..

3, the entrance/exit where the 10 & several other buses enter, has got to be changed, the 10's have nearly jackknifed the artics several times.. several drivers complain about it a LOT.. I agree with them totally..

They are still working on the plan now and they are tossing around the idea of moving the 10,41,61,87,52. Not sure if all will be moved but I know that its being tossed around. I know for sure the 61 will be moved as the plan is to run articulated buses on that route starting in the next 6 months so as such it has to be moved to a larger bay.