Halifax (metro) Transit.

Guest M. Boone

1. I am so glad to see they decided to repair 999

2. Holy frig that looks sweet. I was very doubtful how the new livery would look on an LFS, but that seriously does away with any doubts I had. They even painted the grey side panels, which I always loved on the LFS, but it looks quite good! A little awkward around the front door though...

Thanks for posting!

As promised, here are the shots of 999. In shot #2, it looks like they might have renumbered bus 998. As bus 998 is still in service (parked around back when I took this shot), this is not the case, it was simply a sticker error.:

bus9991.JPG

bus9992.JPG

bus9993.JPG

bus9994.JPG

bus9995.JPG

And might this be the Mint bus?

Mintbus.JPG

999 looks great in that scheme. They should do the rest of the LFS in the scheme as well.

I don't remember if I posted this one or not, but one of the ferries in the new livery...

According to my notes July 2007 was when 999 had its fire, so pretty much 2 years later and it's finally back.

As I recall its' destination sign was frozen on "RED SHUTTLE" - it had been doing shuttle service for the Tall Ships festival that summer when it happened.

DSC00031.JPG

As promised, here are the shots of 999. In shot #2, it looks like they might have renumbered bus 998. As bus 998 is still in service (parked around back when I took this shot), this is not the case, it was simply a sticker error.:

Well, colour me surprised! That looks really sharp. Hopefully they'll start repainting some others soon, too. I must say I am glad that they got rid of those black side panels, it brightens everything up.

I don't remember if I posted this one or not, but one of the ferries in the new livery...

I think you did, but I always like seeing that ferry. :ph34r:

WOW, it looks great. It seems to have different windows than your average first gen, kinda looks like windows from a second gen. Can anybody confirm if these were retrofitted when it was rebuilt or not?
Original, the first second gens came with the old rear windows.

Halifaxs are the original second gens.

To be more specific, 986-996 are first gen (1999) and have the square windows, 997-1000 are second gen (2000) with rounded windows. Or at least, very end of first gen, I've never totally understood the dividing line.

• 3 weeks later...
Hello all!

I will be in Halifax the 7-9 of August. I will be staying downtown just off Bearington st.

And I'm wondering a few things:

Where is the best place to get Fishbowls, Classics ('83s in particular), Classic Artics, D30LFs, and the new GMCs.

Thanks

Nick

Right where you are staying, Barrington Street.

However the D30LFs are out in Sackville.

bus9991.JPG

bus9992.JPG

bus9993.JPG

bus9994.JPG

bus9995.JPG

Wow, when I first looked at these photos, I though it was a 2nd gen. LFS! Nice colors.

The RTL's 9-9XXs are first gens and they have the rounded windows and front side marker lights (amber) above the front doors like 999 and so do the 2-00XXs, except their marker lights are rectangular. I call them the transitional buses, going from 1st gen to 2nd gen.

• 4 weeks later...
Autistic boy not ordered off Halifax bus: official See CBC story here.

Its still a sad story. All the training and preperation for events like this, and look how the driver handled it. The circumstances my not be totally known, but IMO, it was handled wrong. The story is on yahoo as well http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/autistic_boy_removed

I posted this on another forum, I'll post it here too... I've seen this group around downtown, and I've seen this kid specifically. I heard him screaming once three blocks away and around a corner. When I was up close, it was nearly ear splitting. Why should a driver or other passengers have to put up with that on the bus, just because he's autistic? If he started throwing his shoes around (as the article suggests he does) and hits the driver, should the driver just smile and keep on going?

Understanding and patience is key when autism is involved, but I think in any case, he probably would have had to get off the bus, because the driver couldn't concentrate, unless they would have been able to calm him down. Perhaps it could have been handled better. Perhaps some funding is needed so that they can get their own bus in the future...given the high costs for autism treatments, I can understand the group's desire to save money.

• 1 month later...

Metro Transit news to catch up on:

Posted October 14, 2009

NEW - Detours on South Park St.

Ongoing construction projects on South Park St at Fenwick St will require significant detours.

Please note that South Park St from Fenwick to South St is closed to all traffic.

Routes #17 & #18 will reverse the loop around the university area by continuing south on Robie , left on Inglis, left on Barrington, left on South, right on Queen, left on Morris, right on South Park, left on Spring Garden, and right on Robie to resume regular routing.

Route #10 to Dalhousie will travel via Spring Garden, left on South Park, right on University, left on Robie, right on Inglis to resume regular routing.

Route #10 to Westphal will travel via Inglis, left on Barrington, left on South, right on Queen, left on Morris, right on South Park, right on Spring Garden to resume regular routing.

Route #14 to Mumford/Lieblin Park will travel via Spring Garden, left to South Park, right on University, left on Robie, right on South to resume regular routing.

Route #14 to Barrington St will travel via Inglis, left on Barrington, left on South, right on Queen, left on Morris, right on South Park, right on Spring Garden to resume regular routing.

Posted October 14, 2009

Construction Detour on Ochterloney Street Beginning October 12

Construction is scheduled to begin Monday, October 12, at 7 am on Ochterloney St., from Wentworth St. to King St.

Ochterloney St., from Wentworth to King St., will be closed to traffic from beginning of service Monday October 12, until the evening of Friday, October 16.

Buses will detour as follows:

Route #54 inbound will detour via Ochterloney, left on Wentworth, right on Queen, right on King, left on Ochterloney to regular routing.

Route #62 inbound will detour via Ochterloney, left on Wentworth, right on Queen to regular routing.

Routes #54 & #62 outbound will detour via Alderney, left on King, right on Queen, left on Wentworth, right on Ochterloney to regular routing.

Posted October 1, 2009

Detour on the Fairview Overpass Begins Monday, October 5, 2009

Beginning Monday, October 5, a major construction project will start on the Fairview overpass.

This construction work is expected to cause significant traffic disruptions.

Routes #3, #31, #33, #34 #42, and #86 will be required to detour as follows:

From Main Ave or Lacewood Dr, buses will travel via Titus, left on Dutch Village, left on Joseph Howe, right on the ramp onto the Fairview overpass. These routes will not service the lower portion of Main Ave (specifically from Lacewood/Titus to the Fairview overpass.)

Passengers using the affected routes on Main Ave, from Lacewood Dr to the overpass, will be required to use bus stops on the detour route.

All other routes that service the lower portion of Main Ave turning right heading to Joseph Howe will remain on regular routing.

Construction is scheduled to be completed mid winter 2010.

Posted September 8, 2009

Alderney Ferry Reduced to 1/2 hour Frequency Beginning

Septemeber 14

Beginning Monday, September 14, 2009, the Alderney ferry service will be temporarily reduced to one vessel and will operate on 1/2 hour frequency.

The Alderney ferry will leave the Dartmouth Terminal at its regular scheduled time of 6:30 am, with crossings every ½ hour. The Halifax ferry will leave the Halifax Terminal at its regular scheduled time of 6:45 am, with ½ hour crossings on the quarter hour.

It is anticipated that the vessel will remain out of service for several weeks, due to scheduled maintenance as required by Transport Canada.

The Woodside Ferry will continue operation of its regular schedule.

For additional information, contact the HRM Call Centre at (902) 490-4000.

Well, a 348-page report from IBI group is now out, containing a five-year strategic plan for Metro Transit. It's a goldmine of information, giving us access to things only insiders knew before, like ridership stats for individual routes, and fleet maintenance guidelines (or lack thereof). They're proposing some major changes to almost every facet of the organization, including eliminating several routes, adding seven new routes, and restructuring quite a few others.

http://halifax.ca/council/agendasc/documen...027cow4plan.pdf (12 MB PDF, I recommend you save it to your hard-drive first)

For those of you who don't feel like reading the whole thing, some interesting sections are (page numbers are for the PDF file, not those in the actual report):

47 - current route-by-route summaries, including ridership stats

65 - proposed changes

69 - table with detailed year-by-year revenue, ridership, fleet size, etc.

73 - route-by-route summaries of the recommended changes

84 - official fleet roster

95 - terminals that need to be upgraded

104 - route names and signage

137 - vehicle retirement plan. Say goodbye to everything pre-1990... :P

158 - this is the REAL goldmine for statistics junkies. Just look at it for yourself...

171 - the same thing, except for the revised route structure

180 - revised system maps showing all the route changes

190 - look at Metro Transit's Wikipedia page, then look at this page. ;)

285 - individual route maps for the revised routes

• 1 month later...

For those of you wondering about the Fishbowls, here's where they are now. Someone already updated the wikipedia page to relect the retirements.

DSC00292.JPG

Here's 871, 512, and 511, with 919 in the distant background. I don't think that bus'll ever leave.

DSC00293.JPG

As you can see, any "Metro Transit" logos have been blacked out on 513

DSC00295.JPG

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! All 3 are dead!? I can't believe it.. Another fishbowlless city. :) Btw, the Metro transit wiki is not updated. I just checked now. What are the full list of retirements so we can updated it?

Also, one of the Artics 702 is beside in the retirement area. Is it dead too?

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! All 3 are dead!? I can't believe it.. Another fishbowlless city. :) Btw, the Metro transit wiki is not updated. I just checked now. What are the full list of retirements so we can updated it?

Also, one of the Artics 702 is beside in the retirement area. Is it dead too?

Consider 511, 512, 513, and 871 retired. Someone updated the Metro transit page on regular Wikipedia, I forgot to check the cptdbWiki. Far as I can tell, everything pre-902 is retired. 902 now has the new livery on it. As for the artics, 701, 702, and 708 have been parked there for over a month but I have no idea what their plans are for those artics as of yet.

Consider 511, 512, 513, and 871 retired. Someone updated the Metro transit page on regular Wikipedia, I forgot to check the cptdbWiki. Far as I can tell, everything pre-902 is retired. 902 now has the new livery on it. As for the artics, 701, 702, and 708 have been parked there for over a month but I have no idea what their plans are for those artics as of yet.

A GM Classic got a repaint in the new livery! Nice! Hopefully they will bring back those 3 artics into service. I updated the fleet roster with info from the regular wiki. Anyone from HFX that can edit the CPTDB wiki want to add in the specs for the GLaval's and DE60LFR's? Seems like only 1 GM Classic is left, which would be 902 in the new livery.

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! All 3 are dead!? I can't believe it.. Another fishbowlless city. ;) Btw, the Metro transit wiki is not updated. I just checked now. What are the full list of retirements so we can updated it?

There goes my plan for the trip.......