SMS

MPM-10

They should add a forward-looking camera and a large screen at the walls of either end of the train, so that passengers can see the tunnel as the driver would see it. Many US systems have a forward-looking window, but here drivers want a full-width cab with privacy. I hope a number of us would consider e-mailing the STM this suggestion.

They should add a forward-looking camera and a large screen at the walls of either end of the train, so that passengers can see the tunnel as the driver would see it. Many US systems have a forward-looking window, but here drivers want a full-width cab with privacy. I hope a number of us would consider e-mailing the STM this suggestion.

Although it would be nice for us transit enthusiasts, there are far too many suicides in the metro...

Although it would be nice for us transit enthusiasts, there are far too many suicides in the metro...

Hmm... You're right about that. I didn't thought about it.

Very nice, about time it will have a/c for proper temperature adjustment.

No A/C for passengers, just better ventilation.

They should A/C the stations, and in consequence the tunnels will be cooler, so some of that cool air will end up in the train. Though I must say, I find the ventilation on MR-63s better. As for comfort, I find them much better. Quieter, and more bearable temperatures inside.

Boston T has a pretty ghetto system but they have big fans at certain station platforms... I think the STM is doing something smart by adding new ventilation posts between stations of the initial network. Mont-Royal was a station that was known for being particularly stuffy, I think that Guy can be like that as well. Admittedly I don't know if they can build a ventilation shaft between Atwater and Guy as de Maisonneuve is quite occupied above...

They should A/C the stations, and in consequence the tunnels will be cooler, so some of that cool air will end up in the train. Though I must say, I find the ventilation on MR-63s better. As for comfort, I find them much better. Quieter, and more bearable temperatures inside.

We all know that's not feasible, let alone practical. It'd be cheaper to a/c the trains.

Obviously, I'm just saying its a better way of achieving cooler temperatures for everyone. Air conning the train will make the stations hotter, hence requiring more cooling of the stations anyway, either through ventilation or A/C (the former obviously making much more ecologic and economic sense). If I actually wanted them to do that, I would have sent them an email, not post it on a discussion board.

We all know that's not feasible, let alone practical. It'd be cheaper to a/c the trains.

Actually, that's not entirely true. It is far easier to do in Montreal than it is in just about any other subway system in the world. As it is, there are several stations around the world that are air conditioned - this is simply taking it to the next level. As it is, you've got a brilliant insulator - the earth itself. And there are all sorts of techniques to keep the air where it needs to stay.

The tricky part would be integrating it with both the ventilation systems and at the stations. Might need more doors...

Dan

The STM is not interested in more doors or exits for that matter. The maintenance personnel have enough work on their hands :rolleyes:

Boston T has a pretty ghetto system but they have big fans at certain station platforms... I think the STM is doing something smart by adding new ventilation posts between stations of the initial network. Mont-Royal was a station that was known for being particularly stuffy, I think that Guy can be like that as well. Admittedly I don't know if they can build a ventilation shaft between Atwater and Guy as de Maisonneuve is quite occupied above...
No need for that, there is already a ventilation shaft on each side of Guy, at 30-759 & 31-725. And the same comment applies to Mont-Royal (35-725 & 36-294).

Sources: Emplacement en surface des débouchés d’accès, de service et ventilation & Topologie des lignes, garages, ateliers, raccordements et appareils de voie.

So, does anyone know where they're at with these trains? Are they being built now, if not what are they doing? And it was never clear to me where they are building them. I know Bombardier has it's train division in Germany (i.e. new AMT rolling stock)..

We don't have the mock up et so that should give us a good idea of how far they're along...

So the La Pocatière employees want to go on strike which ought to further delay the delivery of MPM-10 cars...

So the La Pocatière employees want to go on strike which ought to further delay the delivery of MPM-10 cars...

Better not. We were delayed enough already due to stupidity, this has to end!

So, does anyone know where they're at with these trains? Are they being built now, if not what are they doing? And it was never clear to me where they are building them. I know Bombardier has it's train division in Germany (i.e. new AMT rolling stock)..

The new cars are being built at Bombardier's plant in La Pocatiere, in the Lower St-Lawrence region of Quebec.

By the looks of some of the components of the MPM-10 Azur (bogies, car shell) on the news, it seems that much of it will be off-the-shelf. The bogies and propulsion systems are coming from Alstom and from the photos in the media (Google images MPM-10 and Alstom) it looks like we will get parts similar to those on the Paris Metro Alstom MP05. Bombardier will be building a carbody and general configuration that looks pretty much the same as the Alstom MP05: 3 bi-parting plug doors, cab cars are trailers, and intermediate cars have motors. The nose will be derived and modified from the Alstom MF01.

It just does not look like a home-grown train. Like any new technology will be hard to match the reliability of the old MR-63 (MDBF 120,000 statute miles) in the first few years of service. Choosing off-the-shelf parts will make it easier to resolve introductory problems.

If they do choose traction motors similar to the MP05, at least the traction motor noise issue will be resolved. Our trains are noisier than Toronto trains (TTC trains transmit vibration, but their wheels and track are quiet if they are well maintained).

Getting down to the real stuff.

The very first video of MPM-10 movment : https://skydrive.liv...004EAB05E71!487

I don't know how it is powered, though.

You can navigate through that SkyDrive to savour some assembly pictures in La Pocatière plant dating from march.