Niagara Region Transit

Orion VIII

The Region would have to get into funding the system better before that can happen.

I know. I think that'd be a great direction to take. I don't know if I'll be here still after I'm finished with school but if I do stay and buy property, I'd be happy to have my taxes go into it.

I know. I think that'd be a great direction to take. I don't know if I'll be here still after I'm finished with school but if I do stay and buy property, I'd be happy to have my taxes go into it.

Some of the towns rather not fund transit service while others like St Catharines and Niagara Falls rather fund their local systems

• 2 weeks later...

Yup, I saw a posting on the region's website about the changes to 50/55 to include the Outlet mall! Quite pleased with that, as a transit rider. However, I have to wait until September to use my UPASS with it to really take advantage of it. $12 round trip to and from the mall is a bit steep in my opinion. I wish they would just amalgamate into a regional system with a comprehensive regional pass so I could just buy that and be covered without having to be in school. I bet it would be popular with everyone!

If Niagara College and the Outlet Mall could work together to get GO Transit to stop there on their Niagara Falls bus route it'd probably be cheaper!

If Niagara College and the Outlet Mall could work together to get GO Transit to stop there on their Niagara Falls bus route it'd probably be cheaper!

GO Transit isn't going to stop anywhere for shopping district unless there's a passengers demand.

GO Transit isn't going to stop anywhere for shopping district unless there's a passengers demand.

Next thing you know the shoppers will ask the drivers to load their Coach and Michael Kors bags into the luggage compartment! Then by the time they get to Burlington they'll forget whose bags are whose! :P

In all seriousness if GO Transit isn't serving the Toronto Premium Outlets on the 401 (where a lot more routes go by), I can't see them serving this outlet mall anytime soon. The one in Halton Hills is much bigger than this one. Hell, at least this outlet mall already has some sort of transit to begin with.

Service to the Outlet Mall would be a convenient side benefit. More for the students at Niagara College who are not local. The St. Catharines Niagara/Glendale shuttle runs out of the downtown bus terminal which GO does not serve. Connections to Niagara-on-the-Lake can also be made there when the weekend-only 11 GO Bus service isn't running. Those two market segments should be enough to get the service. Tourists unfortunately aren't in a position to make such requests unless they are organized through some campaign. I'm sure the White Oaks Conference Centre wouldn't mind the extra access. I just figured the Outlet Mall would be in the best position financially to get the stop/diversion put in place. It would after all provide Niagara Region Transit with another connection point to GO Transit.

GO riders want as quick a route as possible between Toronto and the ends of each line. I don't think the outlet mall is really their thing. I can see it being a city or regional thing for sure though. I'm just surprised the cities of St. Catharines and Niagara Falls both don't run a route to the mall with their city transit. I feel like there would be massive ridership there.

GO riders want as quick a route as possible between Toronto and the ends of each line. I don't think the outlet mall is really their thing. I can see it being a city or regional thing for sure though. I'm just surprised the cities of St. Catharines and Niagara Falls both don't run a route to the mall with their city transit. I feel like there would be massive ridership there.

The regular route makes stops in Stoney Creek, Grimsby and St. Catharines between Burlington and Niagara Falls. Not to mention the stops between Union and Burlington. GO does have a limited number of express bus trips, then there's the weekend train service which makes limited stops to Niagara Falls. The additional stop would serve quite a number of people, and can be compensated by running more of the direct bus trips.

just wondering if it is a regular sighting to see a St Catharines Transit bus on the regional transit route? I saw 0712 running on rte 75 at Welland yesterday, i have seen Niagara Falls Transit bus on route 65 before but not a St Catharines Transit bus yet............very interesting!

anyone has seen a Welland Transit bus being operated on the regional transit routes ever? just curious

anyone has seen a Welland Transit bus being operated on the regional transit routes ever? just curious

I am sure it is somewhat common for regular Welland buses to be on the Regional routes. With only two XD40 buses for the Regional service, I would imagine that one of the two is in the garage semi-regularly. I have seen both 1146 and 1152 being used in the Regional service. Shots are attached taken in Niagara Falls.

Welland Transit 1146 -Niagara Falls - 03AUG13.jpg

Welland Transit 1152 - 31AUG13.jpg

I am sure it is somewhat common for regular Welland buses to be on the Regional routes. With only two XD40 buses for the Regional service, I would imagine that one of the two is in the garage semi-regularly. I have seen both 1146 and 1152 being used in the Regional service. Shots are attached taken in Niagara Falls.

Wow nice thx, good to see that, so i still need a shot of the Welland bus on the regional routes.............which is probably the reason Welland needs more 40ft buses these days, besides replacing the Bluebirds

just wondering if it is a regular sighting to see a St Catharines Transit bus on the regional transit route? I saw 0712 running on rte 75 at Welland yesterday, i have seen Niagara Falls Transit bus on route 65 before but not a St Catharines Transit bus yet............very interesting!

I have seen 0808 on the 50/55 a few weeks ago. I have a shot of 1303 doing the 50/55 from last year. Niagara Falls also at times puts one of their city units on Regional routes, mostly 2193-2195.

I have seen 0808 on the 50/55 a few weeks ago. I have a shot of 1303 doing the 50/55 from last year. Niagara Falls also at times puts one of their city units on Regional routes, mostly 2193-2195.

yup i have seen 2193 on route 65 regional route~~

• 4 months later...

Trillium railway proposes commuter train service along its tracks between St. Catharines and Port Colborne via Welland...

North-south passenger train service proposed
By Rob Houle

St. Catharines Standard
Thursday, October 16, 2014 5:26:56 EDT PM

Trillium Railway president Karen Ettinger recently unveiled a proposal to Niagara Region politicos asking them to explore a private-public partnership that would create passenger train service between St. Catharines and Port Colborne.

They call the proposal the “Niagara Rail Transit Spine”.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...