Niagara Region Transit

Orion VIII

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

As of May 1, adult cash fares are now $6, with everybody else over 5 years old remaining at $5.

New fare media introduced include a 10-ride ticket at a discounted price, along with monthly passes. All tickets and passes are valid on the local transit systems, whether you are transferring to and/or from regional transit buses.

Transfers are now valid for 120 minutes instead of 60 minutes.

More information here.

• 2 weeks later...

Seniors may ride free this summer:

http://www.niagarafallsreview.ca/2012/06/05/seniors-may-get-free-bus-rides

"Region is not bringing in much cash from fares anyway" so why not let them ride free so we can lose more in this moneypit :P

yeah, i read that already. I also saw 1150 (Welland unit) with a bike rack which looks recently installed

Does this mean that Welland Transit will put bike racks on all its active buses? Or is just a regional thing? I personally liked the Welland units because they didn't have bike racks, making them unique.

i guess only for the Regional units, there was an article (Welland Tribune?) about a passenger with a bike that ended up with a Welland-operated bus which didn't at the time.

• 5 weeks later...

I was in the Falls today to shoot video of the Orion IVs and saw this WEGO LFS artic a couple of times. Plate is 743 3BF but I couldn't see any fleet number. The stored units at the bus garage all had fleet numbers.

Anyone know which one it might be?

7433bf.jpg

What does that paper on the side say?

I was in the Falls today to shoot video of the Orion IVs and saw this WEGO LFS artic a couple of times. Plate is 743 3BF but I couldn't see any fleet number. The stored units at the bus garage all had fleet numbers.

7433bf.jpg

Hmmmm... if this is a NPC unit, it looks like they got narrow centre and rear doors.... different from the other units......

1297250540458_ORIGINAL.jpg

7433bf.jpg

NPC unit-another telltale sign to look for: NPC buses have the plates on the bumper, NFT units have it up closer to the front window

Hmmmm... if this is a NPC unit, it looks like they got narrow centre and rear doors.... different from the other units......

Actually, only the rear-most doors are narrow. The middle doors are wide, which along with the wide 2/3rds front doors and the flush-mounted glazing is an interesting set of options.

Dan

Actually, only the rear-most doors are narrow. The middle doors are wide, which along with the wide 2/3rds front doors and the flush-mounted glazing is an interesting set of options.

Dan

what I meant Dan, is in the pic it looks like (to me at least) that the center door is narrow, It could be the angle of the picture though.....

As of May 1, adult cash fares are now $6, with everybody else over 5 years old remaining at $5.

New fare media introduced include a 10-ride ticket at a discounted price, along with monthly passes. All tickets and passes are valid on the local transit systems, whether you are transferring to and/or from regional transit buses.

Transfers are now valid for 120 minutes instead of 60 minutes.

More information here.

And I thought Edmonton was bad...

And I thought Edmonton was bad...

Really? This sounds quite generous to me. The $5 fare was always a introductory rate, to go up to $6 when the service had bedded in. (Plus it includes free rides on your destination's transit system).

Really? This sounds quite generous to me. The $5 fare was always a introductory rate, to go up to $6 when the service had bedded in. (Plus it includes free rides on your destination's transit system).

Compared to other regional transit systems in Ontario it's expensive. For GRT and DRT it's the same fare across the board. And what if your trip starts somewhere other then where a regional bus goes, say Fairview Mall in St. Catharines for example? You have to pay the local fare then another 6 bucks for the regional fare. They wonder why no one's using it. For that price I'll stick to driving.