Niagara Region Transit

Orion VIII

I have moved all posts regarding NRT from the Niagara Falls, St. Catharines and Welland Transit threads into here.

From the agenda of the 20 Sept 2010 meeting of the Corporates Service Committee of the City of Niagara Falls:
RECOMMENDATION:

1. That Council enter into a three -year pilot project agreement, with the Regional Municipality of Niagara, to provide inter - municipal public transportation.

2. That Council approve the purchase of three Orion transit coaches, funded from a Region of Niagara Grant, for inter - municipal service.

3. That Council approve the purchase of two Orion buses, funded from Provincial Gas Tax Subsidy, which will be utilized for our municipal service.

4. That RFP #P19 -2010, for the Supply of five Buses be awarded to Orion.

5. That the Mayor and City Clerk be authorized to execute the necessary agreement.

[...]

A Request for Proposal was issued, resulting in three vendors responding to the RFP; NovaBus, New Flyer and Orion. The prices (not including taxes) submitted by the proponents (per bus), are as follows;

Orion $376,000.00

New Flyer $428,000.00

Novabus $448,000.00

The budgeted cost for the municipal bus purchase is $480,000.00 per bus. This amount is included in the 2010 Capital budget. Therefore, staff recommends Orion, being the low bidder, be awarded the contract to supply five, forty -foot, low floor accessible buses equipped with bike racks. In addition, these buses will also be equipped with new fare boxes, a stop announcement system, and GPS hardware at an additional upset cost of $30,000 per bus.

• 7 months later...

Got a question regarding the "Regional" services.

After looking through the St. Catharines and the Welland threads albeit briefly, it's to my assumption that this is based on the services to Niagara College as well as Brock University.

I understand that St. Catharines will purchase 4 of the ex-OC Transpo D60LFs, Welland will purchase two additional EZ Riders (?) or other buses to support their services to Brock and Niagara Falls will have those additional VII NGs to support their services. Is this essentially a blended service, so to speak?

Got a question regarding the "Regional" services.

After looking through the St. Catharines and the Welland threads albeit briefly, it's to my assumption that this is based on the services to Niagara College as well as Brock University.

I understand that St. Catharines will purchase 4 of the ex-OC Transpo D60LFs, Welland will purchase two additional EZ Riders (?) or other buses to support their services to Brock and Niagara Falls will have those additional VII NGs to support their services. Is this essentially a blended service, so to speak?

the 3 D60LF's will be for brock and niagara NOTL campus not for regional... not enough ridership for the Welland campus.. it's not determined where these routes are going yet but i've heard that a st.catharines bus will be going to the niagara falls terminal..

Welland is believed to be getting two more flyers for regional

and 3 of 5 Orion NG's for Niagara will be regional

Welland will purchase two additional EZ Riders (?) or other buses to support their services to Brock

I was told by Welland staff that the 2 new buses are for a new service to Downtown St Catharines in September.

I was told by Welland staff that the 2 new buses are for a new service to Downtown St Catharines in September.

So the BRT EZ riders are for the St. Catharines service so its kinda like a BRT service? Sorry if im not making much sence im a little tired

• 2 months later...

I have read that the inter-community transit services that will be called "Niagara Region Transit" start at the beginning of September, but so far I haven't seen a online website or map or timetables. Does anyone know if there will be a coordinated website or collected information, or will the three operators (St. Catharines Transit, Niagara Falls Transit, and Welland Transit) be individually responsible for publishing schedules and route maps for what they are responsible for running.

And exactly which routes are grouped under "NRT"?

Niagara Falls - Fort Erie?

Welland - Port Colborne?

Welland - Brock U?

Niagara Falls - Brock U?

The 3 Orion VII NG buses for the Regional Transit service were delivered today. They are all white and are unnumbered at this point. There is still no info on the Regional site for the service that is supposed to start in September.

Any pics? :D

one xcelsior all decalled up now

I hope they're not looking for ad revenue into the future. You can't cover that "livery" with adracks and wrapping that bus would see the "livery" peeled off when it's unwrapped.

Speaking of horrible, that new Regional paint scheme is horrible. I hope the three companies are allowed to keep their own identity and only have to put the regional route buses in that horrible scheme.

This whole Niagara Region Transit thing seems like it's going to turn out a lot like DRT in the beginning. Different buses, different fare and transfer policies, different everything...but somehow the same system. Even the regional buses' seats are different!

Speaking of horrible, that new Regional paint scheme is horrible. I hope the three companies are allowed to keep their own identity and only have to put the regional route buses in that horrible scheme.

I can't agree no more, how can they "design" such a horrible scheme? it's just like the kids putting on stickers on their hot wheels and that's it......holy smoke i rather them keeping the bus ALL WHITE like most of the CIT systems did...............that scheme can't be worse.......!

[And Nowhere is NOTL included in this whole plan. For real? Makes sense to leave out one of the nicest places in the Niagara Region, doesn't it?

NOTL is generally not that friendly to buses, especially intercity coaches that have to drop their passengers off just outside of town to transfer to one of the town cutaways. My guess would be that NOTL did not want the service.

I am going to have to get down there early to get pictures. I am not sure how long this system will last with a $5/$6 fare and it does not service the educational facilities. For example, it stops at the Niagara Region headquarters but not Brock U.

Also, is it just me or does it mention how many days a week it operates? Is it 5, 6 or 7? Also, what date does it start?

Also, is it just me or does it mention how many days a week it operates? Is it 5, 6 or 7? Also, what date does it start?

We can take this with a grain of salt, but Wikipedia claims its a Monday to Saturday service.

I don't know a start date, but one of the Welland garage personnel had told me "September".

We can take this with a grain of salt, but Wikipedia claims its a Monday to Saturday service.

I don't know a start date, but one of the Welland garage personnel had told me "September".

I took a quick look at the routing page, its showing scheduled service on August 31st (today), as well as no service on Sundays or on Labour Day. (Except for Niagara Falls - Fort Erie service)