Double Decker Bus Order

sseguin

I can also add that 8156 had problems with the Clever Devices system.  The bus would not properly sign up so a short stop at Fallowfield was required for a supervisor to look into the problem.  Next stop announcements were not working (inside or out) for the whole trip and the interior cameras were also not working with “no signal” displaying on the monitors.

My only trip thus far on one of the 2017 units (8146) included a near-breakdown on the Tunney's Pasture ramp due to a coolant leak a few weeks ago, so take from that what you will.

At least the rear doors don't get stuck halfway open on them anymore!

8148 on Route 98 Hawthorne, 16:09 Tunney's Pasture
8150 on Route 91 Tunney's Pasture, at Mack Bridge at 16:31
8158 seen turning left from Nicholas northbound to westbound MacKenzie King bridge (did not see any bike racks!)

As of this post, this leaves the following units to be spotted in service: 8149, 8151, 8153, 8155 and 8160. 

2 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

Question?

As far as I know the DD buses are mainly out of Industrial garage. Just curious which bus routes are based out of Industrial garage?

You're correct that the DDs are all at Industrial, but OC doesn't use a TTC setup where each route is assigned to a specific garage. Each booking, any particular trip could be run by a bus from any garage, and it could change the next booking.

On 1/2/2018 at 8:11 PM, JCL said:

As of this post, this leaves the following units to be spotted in service: 8149, 8151, 8153 and 8160. 

I spotted #8149 today at Baseline Station. So now that leaves 3 units that have yet to be spotted in service.

Also spotted it being towed away today!

1 hour ago, ONQCBusFan said:

I spotted #8149 today at Baseline Station. So now that leaves 3 units that have yet to be spotted in service.

Also spotted it being towed away today!

You spotted 8149, I spotted 8155 yesterday, and another board member spotted 8155 on Wednesday.

8153 and 8160 are the two remaining.

1 hour ago, Waiting for 30 Minutes said:

8153 in service Tuesday 9 January on a 403 run.

Starting to run double deckers on select Connexion Routes now (400 series)?

Saw a photo on Twitter of a double decker which someone mentioned on a 400 series route. Not sure if it will be utilized in the future knowing that any bus can be used (either an articulated bus for big hockey games or a short bus for a smaller event). 

7 hours ago, GTAmissions1 said:

Starting to run double deckers on select Connexion Routes now (400 series)?

Saw a photo on Twitter of a double decker which someone mentioned on a 400 series route. Not sure if it will be utilized in the future knowing that any bus can be used (either an articulated bus for big hockey games or a short bus for a smaller event). 

Used on WeekDay Games on 403 route only , due to lack of buses at Indy , this has been going on for most of this years Hockey season 

• 3 months later...

The City/OC Transpo has posted an RFP on MERX for 19 new double decker buses: https://www.merx4.merx.com/cityofottawa/solicitations/open-bids/TS-TO-FFM-Supply-and-Deliver-Nineteen-19-Double-Decker-Heavy-Duty-Transit-Bus/0000087114?purchasingGroupId=149352201&origin=1

The deadline for this tender posting is June 28, 2018 at 3pm. 

I must admit that I was unaware that OC Transpo was looking to purchase even more double decker buses. There was nothing in the 2018 budget for additional double decker units. 

1 hour ago, JCL said:

The City/OC Transpo has posted an RFP on MERX for 19 new double decker buses: https://www.merx4.merx.com/cityofottawa/solicitations/open-bids/TS-TO-FFM-Supply-and-Deliver-Nineteen-19-Double-Decker-Heavy-Duty-Transit-Bus/0000087114?purchasingGroupId=149352201&origin=1

I must admit that I was unaware that OC Transpo was looking to purchase even more double decker buses. There was nothing in the 2018 budget for additional double decker units. 

There’s is no need for additional double deckers, not with a rapidly aging fleet of both 40” and 60” vehicles, the newest of which are now approaching mid life!

4 hours ago, JCL said:

I guess they can't get enough for some reason.

Especially when I also wonder how they will store them too. I get the seating capacity attached, but isn't the double decker fleet big enough? Though unless it is for the reworked network once Confederation Line starts service. I think that is what it is most likely reserved for considering the current trial of running double deckers on the 91/95 running a combined 7.5 minutes (15 minute frequency on each route) to determine better usage.

There is plenty need for additional double deckers. Now that they've taken them off the Connexion routes and put them elsewhere, they've left several runs on those routes with articulated buses or worse and called it a day. Say what you want about standing room vs seated capacity, I don't believe that suburban passengers enjoy standing from Stonehaven Drive for example (sometimes runs are standing room before then) to the downtown core.

Personally, I'd rather see an increase in frequency than an increase in seating capacity, but I'm not really sure OC Transpo even has the resources to offer increased frequency without buying more buses (and/or hiring more operators) in the first place.