Canucklehead Obama-BUSted

Just saw a story on the news this evening regarding Obama's newest acquisition two Prevost X3-45 coaches. Seems some of Americans have an issue with the amount of Canadian content even though a US company completed the interior. Would love to see inside this coach. Also surprised Secret Service allowed media to actually get that close for photographs. Something tells me I would not be as lucky though ;) .

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/canu...9k5MyKNS4B7Qp7O

Interesting.

They forget to mention that there really is no "all American" coach on the market.

Clearly if the Hemphill bros. Can do a popemobile, they can do a "greyhound 1"

lol... i just commented about that on that thread.... lets see if i get flamed by the americns....

If they went with Vanhool, it would be built by ABC Group, which is made in the United States. Right?

I thought they were basically imported from Belgium, possibly unfinished.

Maybe I'm wrong on that.

Isn't ABC really just the registered dealer?

I believe you're correct.

So would an MCI bus have more US Content? I thought they were built in Canada...Since Setra is pretty much imported from Germany... that doesn't leave much.

I believe seeing an article somewhere that their Mid side bus was built from the ground up in the United States and fully developed by ABC Group. (3035RE)

If he's going to spend that much on a coach, why not buy a Newell? If I'm not mistaken I believe it is built in North America and it is one of the most luxurious coaches you can buy.

Here's the link:http://www.newellcoach.com

If he's going to spend that much on a coach, why not buy a Newell? If I'm not mistaken I believe it is built in North America and it is one of the most luxurious coaches you can buy.

Here's the link:http://www.newellcoach.com

Simply put....it is not a Prevost that's why.

Hate to be picky, but Canada is part of North America too. The issue is not whether or not it's built in North America, it's whether it was built in the United States. And really if Hemphill Brothers did the conversion, that's an American company and half the cost of the bus anyways.

Prevost above any other manufacture is known for building entertainer coaches (either complete or shells only) to top quality. There is a reason why the majority of entertainer coaches on the road being used by various VIP's are mostly Prevost models, and that is because they have a reputation for quality and luxury that has not been matched on a large scale by other builders.

Simply put....it is not a Prevost that's why.

Hate to be picky, but Canada is part of North America too. The issue is not whether or not it's built in North America, it's whether it was built in the United States. And really if Hemphill Brothers did the conversion, that's an American company and half the cost of the bus anyways.

Prevost above any other manufacture is known for building entertainer coaches (either complete or shells only) to top quality. There is a reason why the majority of entertainer coaches on the road being used by various VIP's are mostly Prevost models, and that is because they have a reputation for quality and luxury that has not been matched on a large scale by other builders.

Ah I see that makes sense. I should have known that. lol

Sometimes brand name really counts that's all. Those Newell coaches actually look pretty comparable, specification and picture wise.

I actually heard of them in Car and Driver magazine. I mean, it looks really good on paper but no one has really heard of Newell. Prevost on the other hand a lot of people have heard of them. I guess in a way its like Prevost being an luxury car company like Cadillac or even as far as to say BMW while Newell is more like Maybach. I could've described it better possibly but that's the best I can come up with to compare it.

It's worth mentioning the Secret Service claim Prevost could best handle the weight of all the security features. I'm sure where the coach was manufactured was not on the top of their list of priorities when they decided to order the coaches.

• 2 months later...
I thought they were basically imported from Belgium, possibly unfinished.

Maybe I'm wrong on that.

Isn't ABC really just the registered dealer?

All Van Hools are built in Belgium, then shipped to North America. When they leave the plant in Belgium, they are finished except for the decals.

All Van Hools are built in Belgium, then shipped to North America. When they leave the plant in Belgium, they are finished except for the decals.

They are complete without engine and transmissions.

This way they are imported as a "part" and not "complete" vehicle for tax purposes. Keeps the purchase price to the consumer lower.

May I ask your source?

I'm from Belgium. I live 15 minutes away from the main Van Hool plant. I regularly pass new Van Hools for the US market on test drives (in fact, saw a TD925 for Megabus on a test drive just today). On top of that, my brother works for Van Hool, and actually installs the engines.

There's also this youtube video, taken at the Van Hool factory by a delegation from the French city of Metz (which ordered 27 double-articulated Van Hool low floor buses) earlier this year. Towards the end, you can see several C2045s with the engine compartments open, and you can see the engines are installed.

I'm from Belgium. I live 15 minutes away from the main Van Hool plant. I regularly pass new Van Hools for the US market on test drives (in fact, saw a TD925 for Megabus on a test drive just today). On top of that, my brother works for Van Hool, and actually installs the engines.

There's also this youtube video, taken at the Van Hool factory by a delegation from the French city of Metz (which ordered 27 double-articulated Van Hool low floor buses) earlier this year. Towards the end, you can see several C2045s with the engine compartments open, and you can see the engines are installed.

Then I have to wonder why the 2 stories?

Then I have to wonder why the 2 stories?

Well, your employer was misinformed. To be honest, it's the first time I've ever heard the story of engines and transmissions being installed in the US. Wonder who told your employer that...

Anyway, if you're still in doubt, you can of course always contact ABC or Van Hool directly. They'll confirm what I said.

Well, your employer was misinformed. To be honest, it's the first time I've ever heard the story of engines and transmissions being installed in the US. Wonder who told your employer that...

Anyway, if you're still in doubt, you can of course always contact ABC or Van Hool directly. They'll confirm what I said.

It could be a mus-conception from years ago. MCI was rumoured to move bus shells from Winnipeg to North Dakota to install engines there; getting around tax duties.

• Board Admin

Bus shells are still moved around regularly - especially between Canada and US plants, sometimes to meet the "Built In America" regulations for funding...

New Flyer and Orion both have plants in Canada and the US, and shells are regularly shipped between them for completion.