211XX Series Buses - Diesel Exhaust Fluid

In looking at the new 211XX series buses at the Garage, I noticed a "new" gauge on the dash marked "DEF", and on the right rear there is a "flap" (similar to the Fuel Door) that says on it "Diesel Exhaust Fluid".

Thought I'd investigate what "Diesel Exhaust Fluid" was. This is just some of what I found out. (I wonder if GRT has, or is in the process of acquiring, a "Diesel Exhaust Fluid" dispenser, or "Pump"? Will not having this, set back the "in service" use of these buses?)

"What is "Diesel Exhaust Fliud"?

http://www.discoverdef.com/def-overview.aspx

How Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) works:

http://www.discoverdef.com/def-overview/se...-reduction.aspx

Frequently Asked Questions

This is very interesting, as it also covers, What happens if you run out?; Do you need to wear Protective Clothing while refilling? Safety Handling/Spills?

http://www.discoverdef.com/def-overview/faq.aspx

Handling Guide

http://www.discoverdef.com/def-equipment/handling-guide.aspx

Hmmm, I wonder if everyone is aware of this, and there is the "fluid" in stock now???

What should I do if a spill DEF?

If you spill a small amount of DEF, it can be washed away with water or wiped up. If you leave it to dry it will turn into white crystals. These can be washed away with water. If you spill a large amount of DEF then contact your DEF supplier for advice. Remember that urea is widely used as a fertilizer so small amounts of DEF can be disposed of by diluting with water and spraying on your lawn or garden.

OK, Now I just have to try this! LOL! Gotta get some of that "DEF" Fluid and try it as a fertilizer on my lawn and garden! LMFAO!

• 2 weeks later...
Hmmm, I wonder if everyone is aware of this, and there is the "fluid" in stock now???

I believe that this is the same type of technology that Mercedes vehicles use under the Bluetec name. Officially, the trademark of this particular technology is AdBlue. I hope we see more diesel vehicles of all types (not just buses) using this technology.

I believe that this is the same type of technology that Mercedes vehicles use under the Bluetec name. Officially, the trademark of this particular technology is AdBlue. I hope we see more diesel vehicles of all types (not just buses) using this technology.

Interesting!

I have to admit, I wasn't aware that Mercedes "Bluetec" engines used this technology. (OK, so on a MB, with the Bluetec engine, where do you add the "Diesel Exhaust Fluid"? Where do you purchase it locally? Just curious?)

I wasn't aware that the "trademarked" name for this fluid was "AdBlue" .................. thanks for the input!

What should I do if a spill DEF?

If you spill a small amount of DEF, it can be washed away with water or wiped up. If you leave it to dry it will turn into white crystals. These can be washed away with water. If you spill a large amount of DEF then contact your DEF supplier for advice. Remember that urea is widely used as a fertilizer so small amounts of DEF can be disposed of by diluting with water and spraying on your lawn or garden.

OK, Now I just have to try this! LOL! Gotta get some of that "DEF" Fluid and try it as a fertilizer on my lawn and garden! LMFAO!

You're probably better off putting some into a watering can and adding water rather than pouring it on your lawn - the stuff is pretty potent in the concentrated form used for vehicles, and will burn away the grass.

Of course, for the same effect, you could just take a leak on the grass the next time you're outside....

Dan

Interesting!

I have to admit, I wasn't aware that Mercedes "Bluetec" engines used this technology. (OK, so on a MB, with the Bluetec engine, where do you add the "Diesel Exhaust Fluid"? Where do you purchase it locally? Just curious?)

I wasn't aware that the "trademarked" name for this fluid was "AdBlue" .................. thanks for the input!

It's not something that you purchase; it's something that gets changed when you change your oil. Essentially, the space for the spare tire is replaced by the fluid tank, and the car is outfitted with run-flats. The urea solution is usually refilled/topped off at regular oil changes, and it's about equivalent to diesel fuel in cost per liter. Of course, depending on driving habits, it can become exhausted earlier, and the car will let you know when it's under 7L (full tank holds about 95L).

I'm sure you could purchase/synthesize it yourself, but the cost would probably end up being the same, not to mention warranty and wear/tear. I'm sure that, as long as the price doesn't skyrocket for whatever reason, people will just get it refilled by their dealer at oil changes.

In regards to putting it on your lawn, it's a 32.5% solution of urea in water, so whether you dilute it or not is up to you. I could imagine that the fluid they use in buses may be more concentrated to decrease consumption, but I don't know.

• 4 weeks later...