SCOOP - Terminus Panama Platform Relocation Project

SMS

A bulletin to RTL drivers has been issued with the following information:

Beginning 8 August and continuing until the end of September, the AMT will relocate platforms with the intent of no longer serving the central island platforms (a source of much headaches and danger due to the crossing of passengers between the island and the auto parc). They will also improve signage and access to layover parking for bus drivers, which as it stands is very congested and is a visual obstacle for those people crossing the roadway as well.

The project will comprise of 2 phases. The first phase, 8 August to 2 September, the CIT platforms as well as the layover zone parallel to Taschereau Blvd will no longer be available in order to permit the construction of new platforms. The 2 CIT platforms will be relocated to those behind platform #10. Further details will follow as to the new temporary location of routes and platforms by 22 August.

There will be many supervisors and RTL officials present to monitor the situation.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The new platforms have been opened on Monday to zero fanfare but much customer insatisfaction as no new shelters have been constructed. BTW it rained pretty good on Monday and Tuesday much to the dismay of passengers that were told that the ilot central was now permanently closed and could not wait in the old shelters. Yesterday when I was there, the AMT uprooted trees on the side of Panama Avenue which I found terribly ironic, also a ditch was dug around the ilot central not unlike a moat. All we need to do is fill it with water and alligators

The new platforms have been opened on Monday to zero fanfare but much customer insatisfaction as no new shelters have been constructed. BTW it rained pretty good on Monday and Tuesday much to the dismay of passengers that were told that the ilot central was now permanently closed and could not wait in the old shelters. Yesterday when I was there, the AMT uprooted trees on the side of Panama Avenue which I found terribly ironic, also a ditch was dug around the ilot central not unlike a moat. All we need to do is fill it with water and alligators

Apparently they will eventually cover the new stretch like the old ilot central (or so one of the AMT people told me, though I'm not sure how informed he really was). I've found that waiting in the former CIT shelters works rather well when waiting for the 45 though, and since I seem to be the only one doing it, there were only like two other people in there with me and they were waiting for the 6/47. My biggest gripe with the new terminus, is that when I come from my gym across the street, I pass by the 15, and lets say it comes in 15 mins, then I check the time for the 54 (which is the farthest possible stop in the terminus, not counting CITs.), and that comes in 20 minutes, well by the time I've gotten back to the 15, I've missed it, and have to run to catch the 54. Basically, I need to keep a paper schedule with me (or memorize it) cause I need to know which one comes first and go straight there. I'll adapt, but I'm just saying it's not very user-friendly, considering the two routes are quite close to each other at certain points.

I also heard a driver complaining about how they were having trouble using Quai #1 properly (the débarquement right off Philippines) since there's not enough room to line the back door up with the curb without making a ridiculously wide turn. He was also saying that the ilot central will be removed (except for the drivers lounge/security office) and have bus parking à-la-terminus Longueuil.

Apparently they will eventually cover the new stretch like the old ilot central (or so one of the AMT people told me, though I'm not sure how informed he really was). I've found that waiting in the former CIT shelters works rather well when waiting for the 45 though, and since I seem to be the only one doing it, there were only like two other people in there with me and they were waiting for the 6/47. My biggest gripe with the new terminus, is that when I come from my gym across the street, I pass by the 15, and lets say it comes in 15 mins, then I check the time for the 54 (which is the farthest possible stop in the terminus, not counting CITs.), and that comes in 20 minutes, well by the time I've gotten back to the 15, I've missed it, and have to run to catch the 54. Basically, I need to keep a paper schedule with me (or memorize it) cause I need to know which one comes first and go straight there. I'll adapt, but I'm just saying it's not very user-friendly, considering the two routes are quite close to each other at certain points.

I also heard a driver complaining about how they were having trouble using Quai #1 properly (the débarquement right off Philippines) since there's not enough room to line the back door up with the curb without making a ridiculously wide turn. He was also saying that the ilot central will be removed (except for the drivers lounge/security office) and have bus parking à-la-terminus Longueuil.

Waiting in the old 45 pointe shelter is a very smart idea considering that it is now the only shelter that you are allowed to use. It is too bad that right in front is the quai débarquement, it would have been wiser to have the 45 stop there seeing as how most people would need to wait for that bus. I find it difficult to believe that the AMT had no spare or standby shelters to temporarily put in place. In my humble opinion, the way that the stops were placed are based on where the bus is going... ie whether the bus needs to use the traffic light at Philippines/Panama, or whether it will be better off to use the sortie Tunnel Taschereau. Some routes got screwed over by having to exit by tunnel Taschereau... I just hope that they add a few seconds to the bus green light. I have also heard something to the extent that the ilot centrale will be destroyed in favour of creating proper layover spots. I am glad at least that there will be no more dangerous pedestrian crossings and that the drivers will have proper and safe places to park their buses but at what cost? It's the RTL that is picking up the brunt of the complaints.

Waiting in the old 45 pointe shelter is a very smart idea considering that it is now the only shelter that you are allowed to use. It is too bad that right in front is the quai débarquement, it would have been wiser to have the 45 stop there seeing as how most people would need to wait for that bus. I find it difficult to believe that the AMT had no spare or standby shelters to temporarily put in place. In my humble opinion, the way that the stops were placed are based on where the bus is going... ie whether the bus needs to use the traffic light at Philippines/Panama, or whether it will be better off to use the sortie Tunnel Taschereau. Some routes got screwed over by having to exit by tunnel Taschereau... I just hope that they add a few seconds to the bus green light. I have also heard something to the extent that the ilot centrale will be destroyed in favour of creating proper layover spots. I am glad at least that there will be no more dangerous pedestrian crossings and that the drivers will have proper and safe places to park their buses but at what cost? It's the RTL that is picking up the brunt of the complaints.

Yes, the stops were placed in the spots based on where the buses will exit the terminus, and that's very logical, but considering the 54 goes along Taschereau, and the 15 runs close to Taschereau for quite a stretch of it's route, and they both serve some popular area as well, such as the Champlain mail, Guzzo, Champlain College and both can be used by people to get to Longueuil. I think it would have made more sense to have the 15 closer to the end (where the 30/31/46 stop is now) move the 13 to where the 6 is, and make the 47 and 49 at the same stop, since they both serve the same sections of Brossard, and are often used interchangeably by people living between Panama and Tunisie, and between Pelltier and Rivard. And they could just get rid of Q1, and only use the débarquement at Q4. Apparently the 45 isn't allowed to layover there anyway. If you think about it, the old Panama never had a débarquement for regular buses, only the 45, and that worked alright. Or they could put the T48 at Q1 since a taxi wouldn't have trouble making that turn, and it would free up one more space in the débarcadère.

As for the safety aspect, I agree, but we can't forget that if their mission is to get more people onto public transport, confusing and inconveniencing the heck out of them isn't the greatest way of satisfying your clients. I think the RTL is getting the complaints cause 90% of the buses there are RTL, and a lot of these people don't even know what the AMT is, much less that they own the terminus. They're essentially RTL clients, so they complain to the agency that they're paying.

I was thinking about your above post gjhrun and my conclusion is that routes like the 6 and 47 are paired together probably because the boarding times do not overlap. Of course it would have been insane NOT to group together the Gaétan-Boucher buses together or the Auteuil buses together for example. It's not the most ideal situation, it is what it is. Hopefully intelligent transportation solutions present itself in the form of real time information and smart phone apps. On the topic of Panama itself though, I always thought that not a cent would be invested in this place until the SLR on the estacade would be built. It took a death and a coroner's report for the change to take place - to minimize pedestrian crossings between buses. Frankly I'd rather take the salary of a security agent telling people where to go and give it to a new driver to improve service in the area.

I think transit security is important, especially at bus terminals like Panama, however I'm not a huge fan of a couple of them. I'm a big AMT fan/supporter, I find their train service very useful, as well as their many bus terminals and park-and-rides, though I find Panama is at the bottom of my list. I've found in general the AMT security and their customer service people very friendly and informed, however there are a few agents at Panama I've had some troubles with, and it's not the cleanest or most well though out terminus. In general though, I prefer AMT security to the STM inspecteurs. Maybe because they don't look for reasons to give you tickets. :D

Sunday was the first time for me back at Panama since the old setup and I must say EPIC FAIL on the the design. I was more than happy with the old Panama terminus. Thank God I'm barely every there!

I disagree, people would literally cross anywhere they damn well pleased, now there is no reason to cross anywhere except at specifically designated areas.

They just installed the shelters, and words can't describe how much I hate AMT right now... Not only was the man wrong when he said it would be covered the whole length of the new section (between shelters, like ilôt central) but I can't see how they'll heat those things, they're just like regular shelters on the street, except they're blue.... Almost. It's like they didn't have the money for the last two to be blue, so one's red, and the other is.... wait for it... Green. What!?! Where did they get that from?? At least red makes a little sense...

I don't like complaining, but AMT will certainly be hearing from me at some point this week, cause this is starting to get ridiculous.

The AMT used to have standards when it came to their shelters... their last newfangled design was the type that exists at Cote-Vertu and Stationnement de Montarville. Yesterday I arrive at Panama and I see very modest shelters, doubtful you can fit four people in there, and nary a bench in sight. Moreover when I arrived there was full construction and repaving going down in PM rush hour with buses galore and people milling about everywhere. Definitely not good days for AMT PR as of late.

Sent them a comment through their site, but I don't think they'll respond since I'm pretty sure I made a typo in my email address. It remains to be seen if they'll call me, but I doubt it. Anyway, point is that I told them what I thought. I was at Cartier yesterday, and I must say, it's hard to believe that they're both operated by the same people. In fact, for the most part, AMT termini are very nice. Panama just got the short end of the stick I guess.

Alright, heard back from the AMT, and they're saying that the shelters currently in place are temporary, and that larger, heated ones will be installed at an undetermined time. They're also evaluating the the placement of the routes. That said, the geometry won't change, but they will likely move the routes around based on feedback. Therefor I encourage anyone who has suggestions about the terminus to write to them, since they seem very much willing to listen and evaluate any ideas/suggestions people have to offer.

Alright, heard back from the AMT, and they're saying that the shelters currently in place are temporary, and that larger, heated ones will be installed at an undetermined time.
Probably next summer…