TTC Application Process

I was doing my job shadowing, and came to a rather serious realization. I don't want to get flamed here for tossing out negative vibes, but I am offering up an observation and would like feedback from operators that have been working here for a while.

Everyone I have come across so far appears quite negative. I did not get the feeling that anyone I was observing enjoyed their job.

Now in fairness, I have only watched 4 people with the eyes of someone interested in working for the TTC and I have no way of knowing if I just interacted with the 4 people who just hate life, or is there a trend going on here?

I am not asking this to be a downer or take excitment away from others, it is a legitimate question for someone looking to spend the rest of their employment with one company. How do the people that work as an operator feel about their job? Do you wake up happy to go to work, or do you drag yourself in to earn a paycheck?

I was doing my job shadowing, and came to a rather serious realization. I don't want to get flamed here for tossing out negative vibes, but I am offering up an observation and would like feedback from operators that have been working here for a while.

Everyone I have come across so far appears quite negative. I did not get the feeling that anyone I was observing enjoyed their job.

Now in fairness, I have only watched 4 people with the eyes of someone interested in working for the TTC and I have no way of knowing if I just interacted with the 4 people who just hate life, or is there a trend going on here?

I am not asking this to be a downer or take excitment away from others, it is a legitimate question for someone looking to spend the rest of their employment with one company. How do the people that work as an operator feel about their job? Do you wake up happy to go to work, or do you drag yourself in to earn a paycheck?

It is up to the individual if they are going to enjoy their job or not. I have been a subway operator for 14 months and still love my job.

I enjoying going to work, but mind you, with some of these shifts, it does get exhausting. I am still the last operator and don't get to choose my shifts. They are decided for me. The seniority is not the greatest. I just suck it up and continue to be grateful . Again, because I enjoy my job.

"4 people who just hate life"? Pretty presumptive and damning statement there sparky. Walk a mile, oh right, forgot, you haven't. You cant even appreciate the fact that at least they were honest about their situation and didn't paint you a false picture of Shangri La, which it ain't. Is it the message or the messenger that has you conflicted?

"4 people who just hate life"? Pretty presumptive and damning statement there sparky. Walk a mile, oh right, forgot, you haven't. You cant even appreciate the fact that at least they were honest about their situation and didn't paint you a false picture of Shangri La, which it ain't. Is it the message or the messenger that has you conflicted?

I guess you missed the point about not being flamed...

Anyway, you are correct, I have not walked a mile in their shoes. Now I am questioning if I want to walk that mile. I observed people that obviously do not enjoy what they are doing. The pay etc is good, but I want to work where I will get up every day happy to go to work, not just earn a paycheck. I did not talk to them, we were told not to in my information session. I sat there and rode the bus or street car and watched as I was instructed to do. The customers coming on were civil at least or nice at best. The operators were basically rude and obviously unhappy. When asked a question about a diversion, the operatior was not helpful, but defensive.

At the end of the day, I don't know what has made them unhappy. It could be the customers, it could be the comission. I am not judging, I am questioning whether I wish to proceede in the application process, or send a thanks but no thanks email.

I can earn the money made here in other locations. This is not a do or die job for me, but one I thought I would enjoy doing. If I am not going to enjoy doing it then what is the point?

However, I do appreciate your feedback. If you are that defensive and angry.... it tells me that perhaps this isn't the right place for me.

I cannot tell you whether you should join TTC or not. I will list some of the things i learn through my job.

• When you first start as an operators, you will be a back up driver. Meaning you won't know what time you will strt and finish until the date before around 5 p.m. Some days you will get work such as spending an entire day on 169 Huntingwood to 34 Eglinton on weekend (worst line on weekend).
  • Depends on what work you pick. You can start as early as 3:00 am and finish early in the morning at around 6:30 a.m.
  • Your shift can last as long as 12 and a half hour and/or have a big break as big as 5 hours.
  • You may just have exactly 8 hours rest before you start your next shift.
  • You will have to deal with ignorant passengers yelling at you why he/she has to wait 30 minutes due to bad weather (i.e. snow storm) or yelling at you for knowing where certain place is located. One time I had a passenger asked me where a brown building located.
  • When your vehicle has a mechanical problem, you may have to troubleshoot them

Not all passengers are bad or rude. I would say 99.9 percent of the passengers are nice. Each day you will have one passenger that ruins your day.

I believe the people who are angry and upset are those who are in it for the money only, having to drive a bus and experience each day differently with different people and scenarios is what sticks out the most from any ordinary job. The social and peer pressure is what would make my adrenaline wild and actually be expecting rude customers as you can learn from each one in your own way.

The way the TTC assigned out tasks for individuals who are interested in working for the TTC couldn't have been prepared any better than it is now. They make you go out into the night with ridicolous hours to interview drivers, that is the stepping stone to realizing if this is for you. Can you handle going out on a night shift, are you nervous with a stranger driving a bus, can you handle his ways of interacting with customers and feedback, it's an overall reality check.

Put on your big boy pants and suck it up, not too many jobs out there that can offer you a very competitive wage, pension, benefits and overtime while working in clean clothes and getting home to your family every night, and to top it off they pay you for training for something you never went to school for.

If you're going to second guess yourself after reading what I wrote, then I will say you have no desire and you should not move forward. Simple.

If you're going to second guess yourself after reading what I wrote, then I will say you have no desire and you should not move forward. Simple.

NB... you have now posted 148 posts and never turned a wheel. What you write would never make me second guess myself, because you are inmaterial. I see you as a forum bully that does not really add any value, but you act as an unofficial moderator beating down people who come on here.

You do not know me... or my background. My entire life has been customer service, and I love it! I have dealt with drunks and I have dealt with pissed off customers... all water off a ducks back. Secondly, I have been to school to drive and hold every licence that you can have in the province of Ontario, from motorcycle to tractor trailer (including bus). I have spent over 8k to have the licences I have, not to mention the cost of writing tests every 5 years or doing my medicals every 3 years. I have driven over a million miles in large vehicles, so I kinda figure I have that down. I would truly enjoy and appreciate the training that the TTC could offer and I would never think that I could not learn something, because I do every day. I am saying that they will not be giving me something I don't already have. I earn more money than I would with the TTC for about the first 3 years and even then would just be breaking even.

I am looking at this position because I love people and I love driving. What I have asked, and what I want to know is why do the operators I have run into seem to hate their jobs. I don't need sanctomonious feedback from some cellphone busdriver wannabe who has never turned a big wheel in his life. I asked for feedback from experienced operators who either love or hate their job, not for some forum bully who trolls this site waiting for his phone call.

Thanks for your input

Well you answered your own question, you asked for experienced operators which you personally met and gave you their personal experience, you coming on here is going to get you anything but a lucky guess, because no one can tell you what others think. You just weren't happy with was fed to you so you are coming here to find an opposite answer to equalize your concerns.

And yes I am waiting for my call, which is why I don't ask stupid questions as why the operators are pissy, you seem to be a money making machine, why don't you take your over qualified experience and look elsewhere.

P.S. And how would you know if I never turned a big wheel in my life? I never stated I have or haven't, you are falsely assuming. You can have 10 million miles of experience, they aren't looking for qualified drivers. In fact they might even be avoiding those candidates as they tend to have bad habits from driving, they want to train you their own way.

I have been on the job now for about 6 months and sometimes find myself asking some if these questions still. Don't get me wrong I love the job. I really do. But I run into other operators who have been on the job a long time who just seem very tainted and angry. I have boiled it down to 2 basic possibilities, that person has always been that way or the job has gotten to them over time. There are still quite a few operators who have been here a long time that are just a pleasure to be around, so I'm going with option 1, the grumpy drivers have always been that way. The TTC probably was hiring on completely different criteria back then and found it didn't work, which is why they have switched to the more customer service oriented hire.

I could be wrong. And if I am there are plenty of jobs within the TTC to switch to if I am.

I have been on the job now for about 6 months and sometimes find myself asking some if these questions still. Don't get me wrong I love the job. I really do. But I run into other operators who have been on the job a long time who just seem very tainted and angry. I have boiled it down to 2 basic possibilities, that person has always been that way or the job has gotten to them over time. There are still quite a few operators who have been here a long time that are just a pleasure to be around, so I'm going with option 1, the grumpy drivers have always been that way. The TTC probably was hiring on completely different criteria back then and found it didn't work, which is why they have switched to the more customer service oriented hire.

I could be wrong. And if I am there are plenty of jobs within the TTC to switch to if I am.

Thanks Dank, great feedback

@scootermcq, I've been on the job for a year now and the best advice I can give you or anyone else is "Hate one asshole at a time and you will be fine, or risk becoming a bitter person"

@Nokia_boy, I understand that you want this job, but you need to relax. Judging people on what you think are qualities the TTC needs is not what this forum is about. Frankly, you have no idea what the TTC needs, so "Ease back".

Good luck to all those who are waiting for "the call"....and to those who got assigned subway off the streets I say "Bastards", lol, just kidding..and Congrats!!

I believe the people who are angry and upset are those who are in it for the money only, having to drive a bus and experience each day differently with different people and scenarios is what sticks out the most from any ordinary job. The social and peer pressure is what would make my adrenaline wild and actually be expecting rude customers as you can learn from each one in your own way. The way the TTC assigned out tasks for individuals who are interested in working for the TTC couldn't have been prepared any better than it is now. They make you go out into the night with ridicolous hours to interview drivers, that is the stepping stone to realizing if this is for you. Can you handle going out on a night shift, are you nervous with a stranger driving a bus, can you handle his ways of interacting with customers and feedback, it's an overall reality check. Put on your big boy pants and suck it up, not too many jobs out there that can offer you a very competitive wage, pension, benefits and overtime while working in clean clothes and getting home to your family every night, and to top it off they pay you for training for something you never went to school for. If you're going to second guess yourself after reading what I wrote, then I will say you have no desire and you should not move forward. Simple.
I agree suck it up, there are not many jobs with benefits and a pension like the TTC. It is a great time to start right now, lots still due to retire. I have one year on and I could have signed weekends off for the upcoming board, mind you it was spare board. I actually prefer Thurs/Fridays off(busy days of the week). Be prepared to work most if not all holidays but at double time and half who wouldn't want to work. 3 weeks vacation in your second year, unheard of. There are some negatives but to provide my family with the benefits it provides the positives out number them. Good luck all.

The job is what you make of it, you'll have your ups and downs and deal with many people that you wish never to meet.

I don't understand why they would send you out to ride but tell you not talk to operators. The whole point is to give you an idea of what it's like. If you had spoken to those "miserable" operators then you could have asked them why they were so unhappy instead of asking us to speculate.

The job is what you make of it, you'll have your ups and downs and deal with many people that you wish never to meet.

I don't understand why they would send you out to ride but tell you not talk to operators. The whole point is to give you an idea of what it's like. If you had spoken to those "miserable" operators then you could have asked them why they were so unhappy instead of asking us to speculate.

Exactly my point, I wasn't trying to be a smart-ass. In fact, every piece of advice I have given thus far has been up until my own personal experience which I can attest to. When I did the job shadowing one of my questions was simple "How do you like your job?" and the driver basically said this; "It can be difficult and stressful at times, in fact some might even tell you it's hell but at the end of that those same people are waking up each morning and attending work because they know if they had to walk-the-walk it would be a completely different story".

So to put this in perspective, if anyone tells you it's a miserable job they are lying because they are still working there. That's it, you don't need to cover any more ground surrounding that question because than it becomes an oxymoron and you are going in circles. Scooter's question was a legitimate one, but to me it seemed like it was a life-changing decision and that is why I spoke up the way I did, you shouldn't let a few grumpy drivers get the best of you (especially when they are the ones still working for the TTC).