ericgu22

TTC Application Process

59 minutes ago, pkshah said:

how long does it takes? 1 month 2 months?? any idea?

All depends on how many operators need new training. If transferring within bus mode and you need training on a specific model of bus or artic training, it's just 4 hours. If switching modes, it's pretty much same training as a new hire would get, so just over a month. How many employees need training I can't tell you because I don't know. 

Just be patient. You got this far already. Let the process take its course. 

• Like 1

Today i got email regarding training date 

Feb 3 2020 mode

bus queensway division 

Can you guys suggest how is that division??

Wow congrats. When was your info session and documentation.

5 hours ago, pkshah said:

Feb 3 2020 mode

bus queensway division 

I have heard its best division but senority is very high 

54 minutes ago, angi said:

Wow congrats. When was your info session and documentation.

My info was April 24th 2019 medical May 14th and Documentation August 14th 2019

8 hours ago, pkshah said:

Feb 3 2020 mode

bus queensway division 

Correct.. amazing division but super high seniority but that won’t matter to you much considering the master and you being new just gotta pay the dues.

just focus on training and don’t worry about the rest. 

22 minutes ago, Shankl said:

Angi hove you got any respond regarding your training start date ?

No they said may be in April or even later. What about u?

Training of new hires should be slow. Many divisions are overstaffed at the moment and lot's of ops transferring modes/divisions still need training.

On 1/17/2020 at 9:38 AM, pkshah said:

Feb 3 2020 mode

bus queensway division 

Hello All 

If some one can help how the training goes? and how many days at hillcrest? when will be the tests? and any tips for tests?? 

23 hours ago, pkshah said:

Hello All 

If some one can help how the training goes? and how many days at hillcrest? when will be the tests? and any tips for tests?? 

Very simple, do your homework EVERY day, LISTEN to your instructor, if not sure of anything ASK! I can't stress that enough, no question is a stupid question. 

You will be at Hillcrest the first week with air brakes test the first week, after that you will be with your instructor and/or partner at various divisions/garage for in class and bus training. You will get a training schedule the first day outlining all training and test days.

Good luck. 

1 hour ago, Yo_Yo said:

Very simple, do your homework EVERY day, LISTEN to your instructor, if not sure of anything ASK! I can't stress that enough, no question is a stupid question. 

You will be at Hillcrest the first week with air brakes test the first week, after that you will be with your instructor and/or partner at various divisions/garage for in class and bus training. You will get a training schedule the first day outlining all training and test days.

Good luck. 

Exactly what Yo_Yo said. Ask questions if you don't understand something, even if it's been explained a few times already. This is your training and you need to under all the material being taught. People learn in different ways and there is no shame in that. 

Waking up early and going to work, coming home almost twelve hours later and then redoing the whole thing all over the next day. Doesn't matter, which mode that you are in..... you're finish time is not guaranteed. 

Customer Service is key in this job occupation. I.e. wait for people that are running for you're streetcar and or Bus, just don't take off and leave them in the dust. Lower the bus to provide easier access to all customers at stops, don't wait for them to ask.

Driving in adverse weather can be tough and darn dangerous. Slow down and give each other a safe following distance. Be aware of other users of the road, because they are not professional transit operators and only have the mind set of getting ahead of you or cutting you off.

Schedules vary from crew to crew, so if you are in doubt. A shift can be as long as 8 hours without any breaks or a split shift of being on for 2 hours and then off for 3 hours and then being back on for four hours straight. 

Watch your mirrors when you move around other buses, cars, and streetcars.

We make being a Transit Operator look an simple occupation, but it is not.

So if you are okay with working at odd hours of the day, waking up at 4am and taking a streetcar or bus out of the yard for 6am. Dealing with sometimes rude and not so pleasant customers; other users of the road and operating in adverse weather conditions... then this job is for you.

Oh Yeah, the one thing that they did not touch on my training class, was a hijacking of a Transit vehicle. This I will not go into detail.

Good Luck

20200126_122723.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 2/3/2020 at 10:43 AM, KMB_BUS said:

We make being a Transit Operator look an simple occupation, but it is not.

Actually, the job itself is easy, if you make it easy.  Not many drivers do that though.  Never take things personally.  Yeah, you'll get yelled at, yeah you'll get blamed for this and that, yeah you'll be insulted.  Just let it go, don't be confrontational, be friendly and polite and it'll make the job so much easier.  Split shifts are a nature of the beast, some people like them, some don't.  Build your seniority and choose whats best for you, low seniority is only temporary and before you know it, you can pick and choose.  Adverse conditions, drive accordingly, you still get paid for being late.  Most importantly, know when to stop and park the bus, don't be a hero and think you can make a hill that the 3 other drivers ahead of you couldn't. Be polite to the passengers, treat them like people, interact with them, don't just sit there ignoring them, don't be a "Grumpy Gus" and you'll see how much easier the job can be.

Can everyone do it?  Nope, takes a special kind of stupid to choose this profession and even a more special kind of stupid to have stuck it out over the last 15 years 🤣

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 9924 said:

Can everyone do it?  Nope, takes a special kind of stupid to choose this profession and even a more special kind of stupid to have stuck it out over the last 15 years 🤣

Amen.

1 hour ago, leylandvictory2 said:

When I did my job shadowing an operator I interviewed had the best answer.  he said treat split shifts live having 2 part time jobs.  

Split shifts can be a good way to get some overtime, if you pick the right shift.

15 hours ago, 9924 said:

Split shifts can be a good way to get some overtime, if you pick the right shift.

yes and no.  Management expect the operator to do the whole crew unless they are very desperate.  I did it once or twice to cover a guy who got stuck in a traffic accident. 

3 hours ago, leylandvictory2 said:

yes and no.  Management expect the operator to do the whole crew unless they are very desperate.  I did it once or twice to cover a guy who got stuck in a traffic accident. 

Thats why I said "can".  You got a 4 hour spread, 2 hour shift needs to be covered and voila  👍