Jump to content
ericgu22

TTC Application Process

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, Jayhyrule said:

Hey guys, since a majority of new transit operator are is bus mode, would it be advisable to read up on the oficcisl airbrake handbook from MTO prior to starting?

You can but it's not needed. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/29/2019 at 8:22 PM, Jayhyrule said:

Hey guys, since a majority of new transit operator are is bus mode, would it be advisable to read up on the oficcisl airbrake handbook from MTO prior to starting?

Absolutely.  Knowledge is knowledge and it'll make the training easier.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, 9924 said:

Absolutely.  Knowledge is knowledge and it'll make the training easier.

It won't necessarily make it easier just because you read about it. In training they have a working model of an air brake system to actually show you how they work. But if you do want to read up on air brakes you can do it online without having to buy the book.

 https://www.ontario.ca/document/official-air-brake-handbook

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Someguy3071 said:

It won't necessarily make it easier just because you read about it. In training they have a working model of an air brake system to actually show you how they work. But if you do want to read up on air brakes you can do it online without having to buy the book.

 https://www.ontario.ca/document/official-air-brake-handbook

I quite aware of the training involved.  Point is, getting a head start is always advisable for any sort of training/education if you understand the material right away or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not always. Sometimes it is best to start with a blank slate and let them train you the way they need to train you. Reading a manual and thinking you understand something when you actually don't can be very counter productive . 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/1/2020 at 12:19 AM, Someguy3071 said:

Not always. Sometimes it is best to start with a blank slate and let them train you the way they need to train you. Reading a manual and thinking you understand something when you actually don't can be very counter productive . 

Its air brakes, not company policies.  They teach the exact same material as they do in every other air brake course.  Foundation brakes are foundation brakes, slack adjustments are slack adjustments,  air pressure tests are air pressure tests.  Instructors will tell you that you need no more than 3 minutes to build pressure from 50-90 psi just like any book will from the licensing authority does..  They may teach you in a way that is easier to remember, but the foundation is word for word identical. 

No one is expecting anyone to go into class with full knowledge or understanding, but having a basic understanding of what material is  involved in the course is not only advisable, it's highly recommended.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/29/2019 at 11:22 PM, Jayhyrule said:

Hey guys, since a majority of new transit operator are is bus mode, would it be advisable to read up on the oficcisl airbrake handbook from MTO prior to starting?

Be prepared to take in the information with an open mind!!! Absorb the info you're provided with in training!!! You'll be fine!!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I asked 9 people from my training class if they knew or studied air brakes before training and they all said that they didn't. I asked 6 other operators if they knew or studied air brakes before training and they all so no as well. That's 16 people with my self included that went into training without studying air brakes and had to issues learning it.

In training istructors spend more then enough time to learn about air brakes. You also need to do you part and do your reading and homework.  Important thing a trainee needs to do is to ask questions if they are not understand something. There is no shame in asking for something to be explained in more detail or in a different way. People learn in different ways. 

Yes reading the air brakes hand book can be beneficial to some people and not much to others. If you can read it before training, that's great. If you cant, I wouldn't lose sleep over it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

also till last 15 days before you don't know which mode you are getting it 

if you are getting subway or street car than you don't need to learn air break. 

 

But yes getting knowledge is not going to hurt someone 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Geezus.  Grab the book, go home, sit on the crapper and go through it (not just the air brakes).  You don't need to take notes, you don't need to study it, but do try to get an idea of what will be expected of you during your few weeks of training and in your driving career. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Someguy3071 said:

I asked 9 people from my training class if they knew or studied air brakes before training and they all said that they didn't. I asked 6 other operators if they knew or studied air brakes before training and they all so no as well. That's 16 people with my self included that went into training without studying air brakes and had to issues learning it.

In training istructors spend more then enough time to learn about air brakes. You also need to do you part and do your reading and homework.  Important thing a trainee needs to do is to ask questions if they are not understand something. There is no shame in asking for something to be explained in more detail or in a different way. People learn in different ways. 

Yes reading the air brakes hand book can be beneficial to some people and not much to others. If you can read it before training, that's great. If you cant, I wouldn't lose sleep over it. 

if you want more driving time, I suggest you memorize the air brakes tests.  The faster you get the circle check out of the way, the more time you get behind the wheel.

 

As for the air build up test, the test is a pass if the air build from 85 to 100 psi within 2 minutes.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, pkshah said:

Can i request my recruiter to select me in specific mode ?? 

no.  you will placed where there is a vacancy but you can request for a transfer after 2 years.  Transfer to subway will take the longest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had my documentation in september.I emailed them for my training date.They said now in April and even later due to workforce requirements.Anyone got training date this year?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When did you last talk to your recruiter?

 

11 minutes ago, angi said:

I had my documentation in september.I emailed them for my training date.They said now in April and even later due to workforce requirements.Anyone got training date this year?

When did you talk to your recruiter last??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today

9 minutes ago, pkshah said:

When did you last talk to your recruiter?

 

When did you talk to your recruiter last??

Today

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, angi said:

Today

Today

have you receive any email today?? 

i have receive one email today i did not like it

my timeline is almost 1 month earlier than yours and i called on Jan 3rd she said i should receive the start date for January 27th and i received an email today that it might me more late 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My timeline is 1 month after angi and to hear that their training is now in April or later is deflating. 

At info session we were told Dec or January training. Documentation said its most likely Feb or March, and now it may be May or later.

Oh well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, pkshah said:

have you receive any email today?? 

i have receive one email today i did not like it

my timeline is almost 1 month earlier than yours and i called on Jan 3rd she said i should receive the start date for January 27th and i received an email today that it might me more late 

Yes I got an email today. In sept they said the training in January but now in April or even late .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In anticipation of the Mcnicoll garage slated to open later this year, training will be on hold until all transfers are retrained in their modes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Yo_Yo said:

In anticipation of the Mcnicoll garage slated to open later this year, training will be on hold until all transfers are retrained in their modes.

how long does it takes? 1 month 2 months?? any idea?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...