ericgu22

TTC Application Process

4 minutes ago, georgepaca said:

Thanks for the quick reply. I was just looking through the thread and saw the B License quote and got worried.

Nah don't be worried.. The B is just mainly a requirement for school bus

@NoUse4AName I drive out of Mt.Dennis and the routes are harder than most divisions, eg.more turns, tight residential streets, and true to the passengers, you will deal with lots BS but it's how you deal with it.  More people rely on the TTC in the west end. Survive training, probation and then you can put in a transfer.  Good luck!

9 hours ago, NoUse4AName said:

Why would it slow you down ? Having CZ or BZ is what they need you to have to drive bus, I have had a BZ for years but I still have to go through the same process in training as someone who is upgrading 

9 hours ago, georgepaca said:

I did my medical this past month and when I was filling out the  forms there, i remember the secretary tell me to write "CZ" for what i'm looking to upgrade for.

Is this wrong? Will this slow down my process?

The secretary told me to write "B" i don't think it would slow anything.. You just gotta go with the flow 

17 hours ago, Empress_kay said:

The secretary told me to write "B" i don't think it would slow anything.. You just gotta go with the flow.

It won't make a difference. 

• Like 2

Finalyyyyy got my email for documentation for July 17th. It was a lot of anxiety because I have mild colorblindness.

Timeline so far 

Applied November 2018

Info session march 23rd

Medical April 16th

Documentation email July 11th

This is a very long process but it is well worth the wait!!

• Like 1

I rejected my first training date this week and few days later I get Malvern Division pending I pass training, and it's only a 10 minute drive from my house huge sigh of relief.. 

• Like 1

On 7/12/2019 at 2:39 PM, NoUse4AName said:

I rejected my first training date this week and few days later I get Malvern Division pending I pass training, and it's only a 10 minute drive from my house huge sigh of relief.. 

👍 Malvern is a good division to start with. Routes are much nicer to drive then Mt Dennis routes. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, NoUse4AName said:

What is the Division you would say most drivers with many years of seniority dream of getting?

The closest to their home with the best shifts suited for their lifestyle.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 9924 said:

The closest to their home with the best shifts suited for their lifestyle.

LoL ok it was a stupid question I guess.. I was thinking more along the lines of actual divisions,  some say mount dennis is not ideal because of the routes and so forth, I guess the argument could be some ppl dont mind it because it's close to home and they get the shifts they want.. 

On 10/24/2018 at 7:34 PM, TheAverageGuy said:

Uniforms (depending on size and availability) won’t be issued until the end or near the end of training. Most of the uniform (because of sizes) will come few weeks to months after you start working, until then you wear whatever you have received (likely you will receive a few shirts, sweater, hats and scarves in the beginning) and whatever you haven’t received you can supplement with your own, for example winter coat or pants, these take some time for some people so until you receive them you can wear your own.

Black slacks are fine, doesn’t need to be formal dress pants, basically you cant wear cargo pants or jeans. slacks or dress pants are fine, they don’t even need to be black or blue, you can wear any color. 

How about shoes for bus drivers? I have black leather type dress shoes with black laces and black casual not quite running shoes looking type shoes 

Uniforms (depending on size and availability) won’t be issued until the end or near the end of training. Most of the uniform (because of sizes) will come few weeks to months after you start working, until then you wear whatever you have received (likely you will receive a few shirts, sweater, hats and scarves in the beginning) and whatever you haven’t received you can supplement with your own, for example winter coat or pants, these take some time for some people so until you receive them you can wear your own.

Black slacks are fine, doesn’t need to be formal dress pants, basically you cant wear cargo pants or jeans. slacks or dress pants are fine, they don’t even need to be black or blue, you can wear any color. 

How about shoes for bus drivers? I have black leather type dress shoes with black laces and black casual not quite running shoes looking type shoes 

17 hours ago, NoUse4AName said:

LoL ok it was a stupid question I guess.. I was thinking more along the lines of actual divisions,  some say mount dennis is not ideal because of the routes and so forth, I guess the argument could be some ppl dont mind it because it's close to home and they get the shifts they want.. 

Not a stupid question, not really a definitive answer tho.  Every driver is different and their shift/route priorities are different from everyone else.  Days off, early/late shifts, commuting, easy routes, etc., this is something you'll learn over the years.  Not sure about TTCs policy in moving from property to property, if they have a consolidated sign up every year or if one just puts in a transfer request, but you'll see that two senior drivers will have very different priorities as to where and why the choose what property (and shifts).

16 hours ago, NoUse4AName said:

Don't know what kind of dress code they have, but wear something comfortable and easy to drive with, preferably something soft with grip.

1 hour ago, Empress_kay said:

Hi everyone 

I was offered wheel-transit anyone else got that mode or doing that mode right now?? How is that mode

Wheel Trans is not bad 👍 It's totally different than bus so I can't give you much advice there. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Empress_kay said:

Hi everyone 

I was offered wheel-transit anyone else got that mode or doing that mode right now?? How is that mode

I have a friend that does Wheel-Trans and it's pretty much like a taxicab, you get pick ups and drop off times and location, they will train you in handling of various mobility device and ailments.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Empress_kay said:

Hi everyone 

I drove accessible bus in Kingston and like yo-yo said you are more or less a cab driver but actually have a schedule you follow for pickups and drop offs, we use to do pick ups that were like last minute call ins and would be contacted by dispatche if the call was in our area and try to fit it in to our schedule if we could, now that said I'm not sure if wheeltrans does that aspect of pickups. I met some interesting people with disabilities doing that it gives you a bit of an appreciation for how lucky we are to be in rather decent health..

• Like 1

I did HandyDart which is the same thing here in BC when I first started. More physical requirements, strapping in wheelchairs and such. More involved with the passengers with special needs. Some people like it but I wasn’t my cup of tea. 

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 2:29 PM, Empress_kay said:

Hi everyone 

When do you start training?

A lot of people love Wheel trans, but at the same time, its not for everyone. The responses are accurate.

• Thanks 1

Has anyone here trained Bus or Streetcar during Dec/Jan or winter season? Is it harder with the sleeker conditions? Also did you do your training outside of Dec 25,26 and Jan 1? Like was your 25 days of training prior or after the holidays? The reason I'm asking is because they told me my training wouldn't be until Dec or January and I think it'd be tough training with 3 days of holiday in there as I'd rather do the 5 weeks straight. Any insight is appreciated.

7 hours ago, georgepaca said:

Has anyone here trained Bus or Streetcar during Dec/Jan or winter season? Is it harder with the sleeker conditions? Also did you do your training outside of Dec 25,26 and Jan 1? Like was your 25 days of training prior or after the holidays? The reason I'm asking is because they told me my training wouldn't be until Dec or January and I think it'd be tough training with 3 days of holiday in there as I'd rather do the 5 weeks straight. Any insight is appreciated.

I did my training in January. Got to drive in the snow a bit. Is it harder? If there is a big snow storm yes it's harder since you don't know how to drive a bus yet, but it's a good learning experience. You'll finish training with plenty of winter left to drive as a rookie. 

On 7/17/2019 at 3:20 PM, FlyerD901 said:

When do you start training?

A lot of people love Wheel trans, but at the same time, its not for everyone. The responses are accurate.

Didn't get a start date yet that mode requires a 2nd medical