Jump to content
ericgu22

TTC Application Process

Recommended Posts

On 4/13/2019 at 11:26 AM, Oatmeal said:

Has anyone been to 250 bloor st East? My documentation is there, while some people I talked to say they have to go to Hillcrest.

Thank you, have a good day. 

Go where they tell you. If the email says 250 Bloor, go there. Don't worry about where other people are going. This is also part of the process where they see if people can follow simple instructions. 

I don't mean to offend anyone but a big, BIG, part of this job is following simple instructions. Some times to the point of having tunnel vision. Just do exactly what the instructions say in the email from your recruiter. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone here know of any operators that failed the training program and was able to reapply and get hired again?

 

What caused them to fail the first time? What if you truly f- up during training? Will they give you another chance if, say, you go and get bus driving experience elsewhere and you were able to do it without any issues?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, ttcrecr said:

Does anyone here know of any operators that failed the training program and was able to reapply and get hired again?

 

What caused them to fail the first time? What if you truly f- up during training? Will they give you another chance if, say, you go and get bus driving experience elsewhere and you were able to do it without any issues?!

Yes I've heard of people getting appeals to re-do training. Heard of one student who blamed his failure due to having too many different trainers during driving. He got a second chance but failed again (not a surprise). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/21/2019 at 5:21 AM, NoobieRider said:

Hi all. I'm looking for a bit of advice. 

I'm currently 26 years old. I applied to the ttc for transit operator last December. I ended up getting a job in January as a sales rep delivering and selling food products. My job currently pays 40-50k depending on routes and seniority. 

 

Its a pretty good job, not physically brutal and I only work 4 set days. Anyways, I just got invited to an information session for TTC. I've always wanted to work with them but there's a couple of worries. I'd be making more with better benefits at TTC, however I'd have to quit my current job to go to training if I get hired. There's a potential for failing training as I heard up to 40 percent of trainees drop out. I absolutely do not want to end up quitting my current job and having this happen. This job is a good job, but TTC is better however I'd essentially be taking a gamble. 

 

I know this is very, very early in the process and I haven't even attended the information session but I have to keep these things in mind. How is the training and overall culture at TTC? I currently drive one of those Purolator types of trucks for work with only a class G. It's quite long, around 25 ft

If youre personable a good driver and have half a brain. You'll pass. The information session is the verrrry start of the process... Still lots of hoops you gotta jump through. I don't think you're close to the worrying stage.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got my training date.

Here's my timeline:

Applied Online - November 4 2018
Recieved Invitation for Info Session/Test/Interview - January 11 2019
Info Session/Test/Interview - February 7 2019
Filled out Police Reference Check/
Signed Conditional Offer - February 7 2019
Medical Date - February 25 2019
Recieved Police Clearance Letter - March 4 2019
Recieved Documentation Email April 12 2019
Documentation Appointment - April 26 2019
Recieved Email for training date April 29 2019
Training Date May 13 2019

Mode: Streetcar
Russell Division

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/4/2019 at 7:25 PM, Spin_AP said:

I got my training date.

Here's my timeline:

Applied Online - November 4 2018
Recieved Invitation for Info Session/Test/Interview - January 11 2019
Info Session/Test/Interview - February 7 2019
Filled out Police Reference Check/
Signed Conditional Offer - February 7 2019
Medical Date - February 25 2019
Recieved Police Clearance Letter - March 4 2019
Recieved Documentation Email April 12 2019
Documentation Appointment - April 26 2019
Recieved Email for training date April 29 2019
Training Date May 13 2019

Mode: Streetcar
Russell Division

Lol I guess you were the 10% of the 90 % that didn't get bus mode, they told us that day that 90% of ppl at the session and who would move through the hiring would be getting bus .. regardless congratulations and good luck my friend..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, NoUse4AName said:

Lol I guess you were the 10% of the 90 % that didn't get bus mode, they told us that day that 90% of ppl at the session and who would move through the hiring would be getting bus .. regardless congratulations and good luck my friend..

Thanks. I know, I was surprised as well when I saw that. But I'm not complaining. Russell isn't too far, although I would have taken any division. Good luck to you and others in the process.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Spin_AP said:

Thanks. I know, I was surprised as well when I saw that. But I'm not complaining. Russell isn't too far, although I would have taken any division. Good luck to you and others in the process.

Thanks and yeah no use in complaining lol it's a good thing for sure .. I finally got all my documents submitted to my recruiter after a few hiccups in the process IE having to get Fingerprints done because they couldn't verify with just the info I put in the police check form and I had to go to my doctor to get additional info from him for my medical so it wasn't smooth sailing for me in those regards but now I wait on my documentation day date lol.. and I'm not complaining it was faster than the normal way they do hiring..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/28/2019 at 6:53 PM, ttcrecr said:

Does anyone here know of any operators that failed the training program and was able to reapply and get hired again?

 

What caused them to fail the first time? What if you truly f- up during training? Will they give you another chance if, say, you go and get bus driving experience elsewhere and you were able to do it without any issues?!

Quite a few. Even one 10 years in between failing and training again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, andyman said:

Quite a few. Even one 10 years in between failing and training again.

My friend did fail once back in 2008 and i applied in January 2012 and they got him back in. Its not that hard, dont take pressurre on that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah one of my classmates failed years ago. He kept his badge number though so he's like a low 7 badge so everyone thinks he's senior lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/6/2019 at 2:36 PM, Spin_AP said:

Thanks. I know, I was surprised as well when I saw that. But I'm not complaining. Russell isn't too far, although I would have taken any division. Good luck to you and others in the process.

How is the first week of training going?

Anyone else on here have may 24th documentation?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I absolutely love it. The instructors do a fantastic job at teaching the lesson without making it drag on. They are extremely friendly. Only day 5 but we've already taken the new streetcars out a couple times. It's a lot of information to take in but it's very structured. Currently training at Leslie Barns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Spin_AP said:

I absolutely love it. The instructors do a fantastic job at teaching the lesson without making it drag on. They are extremely friendly. Only day 5 but we've already taken the new streetcars out a couple times. It's a lot of information to take in but it's very structured. Currently training at Leslie Barns.

Cool nice to hear, good luck going forward 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/17/2019 at 8:45 AM, NoUse4AName said:

Cool nice to hear, good luck going forward 

Just be prepared because not every instructor is overly friendly some are super serious (although still nice people) so try to not feel discouraged at all during training. Remember they want you to pass. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, TTC123 said:

Just be prepared because not every instructor is overly friendly some are super serious (although still nice people) so try to not feel discouraged at all during training. Remember they want you to pass. 

Yes I totally understand that there are some that are unwavering in their seriousness to their job and don't like to show their happy go lucky side lol after all they are "setting up" the people trained for a job that carries a lot of stress responsibility.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone happen to know how long the police clearance checks typically take? I was one of those fortunate enough to go through the one day 7 hour process and get hired pending medical and police, medical was set up within a week and police check was submitted I’d say around a month ago now ( assuming ttc reps sent it the week of the interview ) 

 

im not in a rush but I’d like to set things up with vacation time with work to try and use it up for training in case I’m unsuccessful and all that fun stuff 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, NewFlyerFan said:

Does anyone happen to know how long the police clearance checks typically take? I was one of those fortunate enough to go through the one day 7 hour process and get hired pending medical and police, medical was set up within a week and police check was submitted I’d say around a month ago now ( assuming ttc reps sent it the week of the interview ) 

 

im not in a rush but I’d like to set things up with vacation time with work to try and use it up for training in case I’m unsuccessful and all that fun stuff 

Mine took roughly a month check the status of yours here 

ReferenceCheckProgram@torontopolice.on.ca

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, NoUse4AName said:

Mine took roughly a month check the status of yours here 

ReferenceCheckProgram@torontopolice.on.ca

Thanks I’ll give them a shout, hopefully it’s soon and I can get the ball rolling on this 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, NoUse4AName said:

Do they care if you wear jeans and tshirt or shorts to documentation?

No it's casual from what I remember. But they will take a pic for your employee ID. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Someguy3071 said:

No it's casual from what I remember. But they will take a pic for your employee ID. 

Ok cool yeah it says casual .. so I should get my Joey ramone looking hair, cut before tomorrow then lol.. it's so silly that the documentation and uniform fitting are in two different locations but whatever I guess .. and they say there is no parking for either place and to take transit lol oh good lord.. I hope parking isn't an issue come training 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...