ericgu22

TTC Application Process

2 minutes ago, NoUse4AName said:

Wow that's nuts, hmm mine is booked March 1st 

I asked for the earliest available date as I have the next couple weeks off work. From what I hear the VSC (police check) can take some time.

Just now, Spin_AP said:

I asked for the earliest available date as I have the next couple weeks off work. From what I hear the VSC (police check) can take some time.

Yeah I picked for the earliest date out of the ones she gave me maybe I missed her say some Feb dates *shrug* 

Good luck to both of you!! Queen streetcar on Friday and Saturday night is a good experience!! Yonge night bus is not very busy north of Eglinton so if you're going for a ride go southbound from Eglinton and back. 

1 minute ago, Oatmeal said:

Why is there a large demand for Transit Operators?

I don't know? retirements, service expansion? people moving up to higher positions? people quitting getting fired? just a few reasons I can think of.

17 hours ago, NoUse4AName said:

Can anyone tell me does your police check come as a registered letter or regular mail?

If nothing is found, then usually by regular mail.  If they do find something, then they usually "hand" deliver it 🤣

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 9924 said:

If nothing is found, then usually by regular mail.  If they do find something, then they usually "hand" deliver it 🤣

Roger that, well let's hope they don't show up with the paddy wagon with a one-way trip to jail cell 2B

Hey everyone,

A little background to my current situation: I applied to the operator position last year in May. I didn't get any response from anyone at the TTC with regards to the status of my application. I asked some operators what I should do and many told me if they did not respond to me to go inquiry about my application at the Yonge office. After I got to the Yonge office, the staff told me that they switched their application platform last year and that I should make a new profile and application as they currently focus on applications from the new platform. I did so and created a new profile and application. What I'm wondering is if anyone that applied on the new application platform, did you receive those evaluation questions when completing the application? On the old platform, after you applied you were given a bunch of multiple choice questions evaluating things like how you deal with stress, etc.  Many told me that's how they screen you for the information session but I didn't get them this time around. Just wanted to know if they don't do them anymore? Thanks for any responses!

Hello 

I just got my training start date and had a few question I was hoping you guys could answer

Is there any affordable parking options near the Hillcrest complex as I will be commuting from the east end and I don't think I would be able to make it downtown for 6:30am using transit.

Any insight on Wilson division?

Any tips or things I should expect when training?

Sorry if these questions have been asked before

Thanks

Hi all. I'm looking for a bit of advice. 

I'm currently 26 years old. I applied to the ttc for transit operator last December. I ended up getting a job in January as a sales rep delivering and selling food products. My job currently pays 40-50k depending on routes and seniority. 

Its a pretty good job, not physically brutal and I only work 4 set days. Anyways, I just got invited to an information session for TTC. I've always wanted to work with them but there's a couple of worries. I'd be making more with better benefits at TTC, however I'd have to quit my current job to go to training if I get hired. There's a potential for failing training as I heard up to 40 percent of trainees drop out. I absolutely do not want to end up quitting my current job and having this happen. This job is a good job, but TTC is better however I'd essentially be taking a gamble. 

I know this is very, very early in the process and I haven't even attended the information session but I have to keep these things in mind. How is the training and overall culture at TTC? I currently drive one of those Purolator types of trucks for work with only a class G. It's quite long, around 25 ft

Go to the info session, you will regret it if you don't. *And don't worry, you will have plenty of time to mull over your decision as the process is not as quick as you are led to believe. 

2 hours ago, fembot said:

Go to the info session, you will regret it if you don't. *And don't worry, you will have plenty of time to mull over your decision as the process is not as quick as you are led to believe. 

I'm always reading that the process is long however if I pass the Aptitude Test, I will be doing an interview on the same day!? 

2 hours ago, NoobieRider said:

Hi all. I'm looking for a bit of advice. 

I'm currently 26 years old. I applied to the ttc for transit operator last December. I ended up getting a job in January as a sales rep delivering and selling food products. My job currently pays 40-50k depending on routes and seniority. 

Its a pretty good job, not physically brutal and I only work 4 set days. Anyways, I just got invited to an information session for TTC. I've always wanted to work with them but there's a couple of worries. I'd be making more with better benefits at TTC, however I'd have to quit my current job to go to training if I get hired. There's a potential for failing training as I heard up to 40 percent of trainees drop out. I absolutely do not want to end up quitting my current job and having this happen. This job is a good job, but TTC is better however I'd essentially be taking a gamble. 

I know this is very, very early in the process and I haven't even attended the information session but I have to keep these things in mind. How is the training and overall culture at TTC? I currently drive one of those Purolator types of trucks for work with only a class G. It's quite long, around 25 ft

You're the same age I am, and last year I was in the same position you are in. I had to quit my job to do the training and pretty much gambled on passing. Some people are fortunate that they can take vacation or leave of absence for the month, but not me. 

Fortunately I passed and I just finished my probation last Saturday. It was a leap of faith that paid off and I don't regret leaving my last job one bit. You have to make that choice yourself. Go to the info session and see what it's like. It's a shame they don't require people to do job shadow assignment anymore, because then you can actually witness an operator at work and what the job entails. 

The training is tough at first. The first few days of driving is nerve wracking as with anything that is a new adventure. But you'll get it, it will click and you'll understand driving and turning the bus. Be on your instructors good side and listen to what he/she is saying, they are there to see you pass, they don't want to fail you. 

Give me a PM and I can answer anymore questions you have. 

13 minutes ago, NoobieRider said:

I'm always reading that the process is long however if I pass the Aptitude Test, I will be doing an interview on the same day!? 

I think they are still doing interviews on the same day as the session. At least that's how it was a month ago, but I'm not sure if they changed it or not

19 minutes ago, havox said:

Is there a possibility you can get LWOP (Leave Without Pay) with your current job ? Just explain the situation with your boss. Maybe they can suspend you, hire a temp, and if things don't pan out with TTC, they could bring you back ?  I really hope you pass and get on with TTC, but it would not be wise to burn your bridges before taking that 'leap of faith'.

1 hour ago, captaintrolley said:

Is there a possibility you can get LWOP (Leave Without Pay) with your current job ? Just explain the situation with your boss. Maybe they can suspend you, hire a temp, and if things don't pan out with TTC, they could bring you back ?  I really hope you pass and get on with TTC, but it would not be wise to burn your bridges before taking that 'leap of faith'.

This is something that I was thinking of. However I've literally only been working here for 2 months. It'd be pretty awkward asking for that and I'm sure they'd be dissapointed. At the very least, I will be seen as somebody who isn't loyal. 

Its a shame. I never knew applying for TTC would be so hard. It's a shame that both jobs has to come and once. Also unfortunate that TTC Jams so much training into one month and expects you to pass or apply again in 2 years, leaving people with no options. 

On one hand I have a job that I like. On the other hand I can take a gamble with a rare opportunity with TTC. Shame how things have to end up! I usually over think things and consider myself a good driver but it may not be a risk in willing to take. 

Any ideas of where they're putting people? Perhaps Streetcar would be easier than bus