ericgu22

TTC Application Process

1 hour ago, TheAverageGuy said:

Right now they seem to be moving much faster since union put a hold on OT. From the date of your medical (if all goes well) until documentation is somewhere between 5-8 weeks, and training start date usually 3-5 weeks later. (Some people whi didn’t require to give 2 weeks notice were called in much sooner, as early as 2 days after documentation. 

I know some guys who are still waiting much past those timelines, so nothing is certain

Thanks for the info. I agree they seem to be moving a lot faster as I know a few buddies that had to wait almost a year from start to finish.

1 hour ago, Ttcbound said:

How long did you get the offer after the reference call? My references were contacted still waiting for the conditional offer.

It took 4 business days after contacting last reference to get phone call/conditional offer. I've read here it can take up to ten days after contacting references. If references are being called you officially passed the interview as reference checks are considered step 5 in the hiring process. 

1 hour ago, R2-DETOUR said:

Is a knapsack large enough to carry training materials once training starts?

Yep. Lots of us had Jansport bags which was a standard size. But you also have a hat and safety vest so if you don't mind a second bag for that or carrying that

Thanks ghost. At documentation they said the binder is like 10 inches thick. That’s crazy if it’s true lol. They suggested a wheeled carry on luggage bag. If there’s a hat and vest to carry too then the luggage bag is prob a good idea. 

2 hours ago, R2-DETOUR said:

Thanks ghost. At documentation they said the binder is like 10 inches thick. That’s crazy if it’s true lol. They suggested a wheeled carry on luggage bag. If there’s a hat and vest to carry too then the luggage bag is prob a good idea. 

Feels like it. Id say its 3-3.5"

A few had the luggage. I would do it to save on the weight on my back lol

How many of you guys drive to Hillcrest for training? Did you guys park at the paid lot beside the building? I'm debating on either taking transit or driving haha

I have my medical on Monday. Does anyone know What the physical portion consists of and if its difficult? 

3 hours ago, Ajf said:

I have my medical on Monday. Does anyone know What the physical portion consists of and if its difficult? 

I'm going in Monday as well. From what I gather from reading all pages of this forum is, if you can bend over, climb stairs, and lift 50lbs without issues you should be good. 

19 hours ago, ghost said:

Yep. Lots of us had Jansport bags which was a standard size. But you also have a hat and safety vest so if you don't mind a second bag for that or carrying that

Hat? For what?

4 hours ago, Ajf said:

I had my medical back in February. This is what the physical portion consists of (at least for me)

Grip test (basically they give you a device that you squeeze as hard as you can with both hands to test grip strength)

Fare box carry - they give you a loaded (or half loaded?) fare box that you have to carry up and down the hallway as well as up and down stairs

Cart push/pull - a cart on wheels that is loaded with various weights, push up the hall and then pull back into the exam room

Weight lifts - various weights that you have to lift, from the ground up to a shelf, etc.

Ladder climb - they have you climb a ladder and at the top they have you reach and touch a mark

They are also measuring your heart rate between each activity

11 hours ago, havox said:

How many of you guys drive to Hillcrest for training? Did you guys park at the paid lot beside the building? I'm debating on either taking transit or driving haha

Well after day 1 you get will have your employee pass so free transit. The back lot is a little cheaper but you need your employee pass to swipe and exact change in coins.

56 minutes ago, 9924 said:

Hat? For what?

Operator hat. Depends on instructor but you will have to wear it along with the safety vest. If your lucky your instructor will let you remove them once you leave the yard.

1 hour ago, havox said:

I had my medical back in February. This is what the physical portion consists of (at least for me)

Grip test (basically they give you a device that you squeeze as hard as you can with both hands to test grip strength)

Fare box carry - they give you a loaded (or half loaded?) fare box that you have to carry up and down the hallway as well as up and down stairs

Cart push/pull - a cart on wheels that is loaded with various weights, push up the hall and then pull back into the exam room

Weight lifts - various weights that you have to lift, from the ground up to a shelf, etc.

Ladder climb - they have you climb a ladder and at the top they have you reach and touch a mark

Thank you so much for all the details. This is going to be harder than I expected. 

25 minutes ago, andyman said:

Operator hat. Depends on instructor but you will have to wear it along with the safety vest. If your lucky your instructor will let you remove them once you leave the yard.

Is there a safety reason for this hat in the yard?  Is it a hard hat?

32 minutes ago, andyman said:

Well after day 1 you get will have your employee pass so free transit. The back lot is a little cheaper but you need your employee pass to swipe and exact change in coins.

the operators looks like a pilot hat or similar to the ones the supervisors wear.  Most of us don't wear it.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 9924 said:

It’s so everyone else knows who to point and laugh at. 😋

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, havox said:

Thanks a lot! Appreciate the info.

2 hours ago, 9924 said:

It's part of the dress code during training. Depending on who you have as instructors, they may or may not insist that you wear it.

Hey friends, what happens at the documentation session? What do I need to bring other than my criminal record check? Is there anything I need to prepare for?

I appreciate all the help and insight I received from this thread. Good luck everyone! 

1 hour ago, Hellothere said:

Hey friends, what happens at the documentation session? What do I need to bring other than my criminal record check? Is there anything I need to prepare for?

I appreciate all the help and insight I received from this thread. Good luck everyone! 

You will receive a very detailed email outlining all the required forms and docs. Don’t worry.