TTC Application Process

36 minutes ago, NigelJohnson said:

I've been invited to my second test for a unionized techincal position at TTC. I was reading through the union agreement (to get a better understanding of what I'm getting into...), and I'm curious - how often to layoffs occur? Is it common to be laid off frequently and/or for long periods of time as a non-senior member?

It’s quite rare, actually.

37 minutes ago, Bus_Medic said:

It’s quite rare, actually.

Thanks for that. I'm looking through the CUPE Local 2 agreement, glassdoor reviews, indeed reviews, etc...

I see a lot of mixed opinions regarding working at TTC. The 'just' of what I'm getting is as follows:

Pros:

benefits, pension

Cons:

no work-life balance

heavily political atmosphere

Unsure:

job mobility.

On 2018-04-06 at 4:10 PM, Cormi3r said:

Debbie is fantastic! She was the instructor for a friend of mine that passed last week. She was also the instructor that tested me on my day 25 driving test. You are in good hands! She will prep you with everything you need to know to successfully pass all the test while in training. Just take everyday day by day and one test at a time. You will be fine. 

So awesome to hear. Please share some day 16 tips if you could. Like any alternate turns or challenges on this mystery route? Anything you can share will help as well. Thanks again for your insight keep it going : )

4 hours ago, JIMMY said:

hi Everyone,

Do the HR ppl reply back to you about your interview pass or fail.As i did my interview on march 9,2018 and no email or call after that.

Yes they will send an email whether you failed or not 

Hey Gang, so I was contacted for an interview and saw that they want you to being an updated resume with your ENTIRE work history. Did you guys/gals list every.single.job.you.ever.had.ever.ever ? I'm not exactly "young" so my work history is extensive. I'm just worried that it might make me look bad, or if I forgot to list some job I had 15 years ago that they'll bounce me out of the process for that. Typically, in many other industries when applying for jobs you would craft your resume to include a work history that makes you look good as a candidate, not the crap job you had 10/15 years ago that you quit after 2 weeks because you hated it. I find it kind of strange that these are the parameters in which HR is judging otherwise great applicants TODAY, on experiences from ages ago (if that is the case).

Are they really going to go that in depth with your work history, check your SIN# and all that stuff - and reject you because you omitted that "crap job you had that time(s)" (which I would assume most people can relate to). 

What do y'all think? List every.single.job. ?

On 2018-04-08 at 11:12 PM, Transit77 said:

So awesome to hear. Please share some day 16 tips if you could. Like any alternate turns or challenges on this mystery route? Anything you can share will help as well. Thanks again for your insight keep it going : )

Everything you learn in your training will be on your test. There are two alternate turns ( which you will be able to identify) there is also a railway Crossing. The instructor will also take you on the 401.

13 hours ago, leylandvictory2 said:

they say it is done to keep your seniority.  I say it is cash grab.  

I got a letter saying that as well.  However keeping seniority while on protected leave is actually legislated by provincial law, and there is nothing about being required to pay dues in order for that law to apply.  Kind of BS, but what can you really do about it?  Not much I think.